• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why not a 3-4 D.....

Fright

Why is the option of a 3-4 defense almost impossible for Fox to switch to? The depth of our LB core is greater than our D-Line imo. One of our most talented/marketed players ever, is saying he can excel in this system, and our 4-3 hasn't looked all that great the last few years. With Peppers gone, our 4-3 system is probably going to look even worse.

The schemes and mix ups a coach could do w/ our LB core and Peppers in mix-up situations at LB/DE would be (or should be) any D Coord's/Coach's dream. But yet all I see is Peppers rushing from one side of the ball (sometimes the opposite side if they're feeling tricky) and dropping back into usually useless coverage.

Maybe I'm just siding w/ Peppers too much on thinking he could do any better in a 3-4, maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture like our coaches are(If that's what you want to call it), or maybe I'm just a homer hoping something will change to keep Pep.

What do you guys think? Is our current system really set to get the most out of our players?

Why is the option of a 3-4 defense almost impossible for Fox to switch to? The depth of our LB core is greater than our D-Line imo. One of our most talented/marketed players ever, is saying he can excel in this system, and our 4-3 hasn't looked all that great the last few years. With Peppers gone, our 4-3 system is probably going to look even worse.

The schemes and mix ups a coach could do w/ our LB core and Peppers in mix-up situations at LB/DE would be (or should be) any D Coord's/Coach's dream. But yet all I see is Peppers rushing from one side of the ball (sometimes the opposite side if they're feeling tricky) and dropping back into usually useless coverage.

Maybe I'm just siding w/ Peppers too much on thinking he could do any better in a 3-4, maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture like our coaches are(If that's what you want to call it), or maybe I'm just a homer hoping something will change to keep Pep.

What do you guys think? Is our current system really set to get the most out of our players?

Peppers doesnt need a new scheme he needs better technique and a heart.

What is the point of this? Our HC and DC are both 4-3 guys, and they are working with 4-3 personnel (including Peppers). It's just not reasonable to expect them to abandon their coaching philosophy just to make one player happy. In fact, I personally, would be disgusted with the entire Panthers organization if that happened....and I've always been a Peppers fan.

Exactly my point monster. Do you think the coaches are getting the most out of our talent w/ a 4-3? This isn't a let us switch it all up for Peppers thread, I'm just wondering if the talent we have, w/ or with out Peppers, is being best used in a 4-3. Most good 3-4's have great safety play as well, which if that's the case to be a good 3-4, then maybe a 4-3 is better suited for us.

And I wish I had a dollar for every non-beneficial reply to posts.

Here on the huddle starting 3-4 threads you would be far richer if you did get a dollar.

Non the less, Switching to the 3-4 would require a lot of unnecessary cuts and a bunch of Fa pickups and a complete Defensive draft and we still probably wouldn't have an effective 3-4. That would take a couple of years. In a 3-4 next season at best we would be a 13 - 18th ranked defense and that is with us getting some major FA pickups and having a good draft

other than the obvious (that this has been started and discussed a billion times before Peppers mentioned the 3-4, much less after), having good linebackers doesn't equal "good in the 3-4". Two of those linebackers suddenly have to become great pass rushers, big enough to take on OTs, and still be able to drop into coverage. Two of your DL have to suddenly adapt to playing inside techniques and playing two-gap; the third has to become a nose-tackle. And nose-tackles, of course, grow on trees.

So, other than making five of our front seven completely different players, sure. We're in good shape for the 3-4 and I'm sure it's just Fox being stubborn.

I dont know how anyone can claim to know anything about football, yet not understand that we have no where close to the personel to play a 3-4. End this thread please!!! Lets move to a 3-4 guys yeah great idea. Lets keep Kemo and then replace pretty much every other defensive player that we have, or atleast change their position. SOUNDS LIKE A WINNING IDEA TO ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

:puke:

1. We don't have the personel. We'd be going backwards the first year.

2. The only way we change is if fox is fired, so there's no point to keep bringing it up OVER AND OVER again until that happens.

3. Even if we switched I doubt peppers would stay.

4. These threads are worse than the nickname threads.

Archived