• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton: Risk vs Reward.

Awesomeness!!

The Panthers dont win consistently and our owner is frugal. Its gonna take a Cam Newton to get people caring about us again. Cam is the safest pick and quickest fix for our franchise.

Even his supporters would tell you he's neither of those things.

Again, only an idiot would factor attention and exposure into a decision on who to draft.

Couldn't agree with you more. Regardless of how much you're paying him, you're committing at least two or three years to a #1 pick. If you miss on him, that's at least three years, plus the next couple years as you have to find and develop a new QB. Give Clausen one more year, go defense or try to trade down (which is doubtful) for A.J. Green or Julio Jones

Busting on any position at number one is bad, real bad.

Busting on a quarterback that high is major, and generally costs someone their job.

yeah hey the Raiders moved on from Russell, what are three lost seasons building around a guy while you still pay him after cutting him anyway?

seriously. are people really arguing that the Raiders weren't set back by Russell?

they wasted those years after knowing for a fact after the first year he wasn't gonna cut it. They kept him around, they could've cut him and still payed him without wasting a few seasons. Do you know how much money teams bring in a season? Russell's check isn't put a dent in Al Davis' pocket.

You guys think missing on a quarterback you used a number one pick on is no big deal, eh?

NFL coaches and GMs would tell you otherwise.

Passing on a franchise QB is a bigger deal. the last 3 teams to go in a different direction than QB are all picking in the top 11 this year. (Dolphins, Texans, and Browns)

So you can play it safe but expect to be picking in this area for the foreseeable future.

Personally I hope we aren't becoming the Bills or Browns.

I know the Dolphins wish they had their pick back right now

Couldn't agree with you more. Regardless of how much you're paying him, you're committing at least two or three years to a #1 pick. If you miss on him, that's at least three years, plus the next couple years as you have to find and develop a new QB. Give Clausen one more year, go defense or try to trade down (which is doubtful) for A.J. Green or Julio Jones

So you have know problem with the Panthers being set back two years with a 2nd round QB in Clausen?

they wasted those years after knowing for a fact after the first year he wasn't gonna cut it. They kept him around, they could've cut him and still payed him without wasting a few seasons. Do you know how much money teams bring in a season? Russell's check isn't put a dent in Al Davis' pocket.

Tell me you don't seriously think a team would consider cutting a number one pick after just one year? :nonod:

they wasted those years after knowing for a fact after the first year he wasn't gonna cut it. They kept him around, they could've cut him and still payed him without wasting a few seasons. Do you know how much money teams bring in a season? Russell's check isn't put a dentin Al Davis' pocket.

err. russell barely played his first year because of a contract dispute I thought. why would they cut him after 4 games?

hell in his second season he showed some modest signs of improvement... it wasn't until 2009 where it became obvious he wasn't going to amount to anything.

you really can't just cut a quarterback after 1 season, even if they look bad... you are stuck with the guy for 3 seasons.

3 miserable, losing seasons if you made the wrong pick... because once you start the young guy it's hard to get a veteran in because there is a great deal of pressure to see if your draft pick is "that guy." Blech.

People are worried that if you pick a bust at QB number one overall someone will lose their job. Passing on a guy who turns out to be great and watching him in the playoffs every year and possibly a Super Bowl while we are picking in the top ten still wishing for Andrew Luck 6 years from now.

THAT PERSON WILL BE FIRED TOO!!!!

Hidden

You guys think missing on a quarterback you used a number one pick on is no big deal, eh?

NFL coaches and GMs would tell you otherwise.

So would hitting on one.

Need I remind everyone of Oaklands record this year. Just a mere 3 years after the Jamarcus debacle.

Passing on a franchise QB is a bigger deal. the last 3 teams to go in a different direction than QB are all picking in the top 11 this year. (Dolphins, Texans, and Browns)

So you can play it safe but expect to be picking in this area for the foreseeable future.

Personally I hope we aren't becoming the Bills or Browns.

I know the Dolphins wish they had their pick back right now

Missing on a guy that turns out to be a star hurts for sure. There's no real consensus that Cam is "that guy" though. And there are guys who are expected to be franchise level in next year's draft.

Regardless of who we draft at number one, we need to get a free agent QB for this season.

err. russell barely played his first year because of a contract dispute I thought. why would they cut him after 4 games?

hell in his second season he showed some modest signs of improvement... it wasn't until 2009 where it became obvious he wasn't going to amount to anything.

you really can't just cut a quarterback after 1 season, even if they look bad... you are stuck with the guy for 3 seasons.

3 miserable, losing seasons if you made the wrong pick... because once you start the young guy it's hard to get a veteran in because there is a great deal of pressure to see if your draft pick is "that guy." Blech.

I get your point, but is there really some law you have to keep the #1 for three years or is it some people need to see 3 years of mediocrity to come to the conclusion. If I were Al Davis I would've cut his ass before I signed him. Who the hell thinks a QB that holds out for his rookie season has his head on straight and will be serious about football. If I draft a guy and he sucks and doesnt improve and gets no respect from the team as a player or leader, cut his ass.

Missing on a guy that turns out to be a star hurts for sure. There's no real consensus that Cam is "that guy" though. And there are guys who are expected to be franchise level in next year's draft.

Regardless of who we draft at number one, we need to get a free agent QB for this season.

There has been no consensus on a QB since Peyton Manning. And even that wasn't consensus bc many thought Leaf would be a better pro.

Now that I think about it the last consensus #1 QB was John Elway.

Even crazy KC Joyner thinks Barkley might surpass Andrew Luck so he is already losing absolute consensus before the 2011 season has even begun. :willy_nilly:

Archived