• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Losing Weight without losing muscle (the little I have)

The Saltman

Good point...carry on then.

Sometimes I come here and ask for medical advice. Whatever I am told do, I just do the opposite and it always works out great. Has saved me a bunch of $ in co-pays. Thanks Huddle!

You would be great for the commercial! :lol:

My husband was right where you are weight wise a couple months ago. He is 5'10 though. He's down to 169ish and gained a lot of muscle. He watched his calorie intake, i think he as eating less than 1800 a day, and by doing P90X which is basically 2-3 days of cardio and then weights the rest of the time. He works out 6 days a week. His weight fell off fast and most of it was in his stomach.

What he did sounds similar to your plan and it worked for him so good luck :)

Salty, if you want something structured you should try P90x. As far as cost, if you have dumbells all you would need is a door frame and a $20 pull up bar from Wal Mart. The CD program itself, well there are ways to get that.

I know the overpowering marketing they do might make it seem like a gimmick but it's not. The results Cat mentions with her husband are typical if you stay with it. I have yet to do it myself due to bicep surgery but I can't wait to start it once it heals. I have seen some amazing transformations in just a couple of months from people who have done it. As Cat said, your plan sounds similar but following a structured program might get you there quicker and keep you from getting discouraged.

Bench and dumbbells..all you need, really.

The workout I'm on is as follows:

Eat no more than 3,000-4,000 calories a day.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:

Bench 3X5

Incline 3X5

Squats 3X5 (can do this with dumbbells. Just the motion with some weight resistance will still burn calories)

Military Press 3X8

Then I finish with a TON of biceps and triceps exercises.

Tuesday and Thursday:

A variety of different exercises, most focus on specific muscles rather than broad lifting (like your bench, squat, etc). Focus more on back and core, shoulders (dumbbell military press. Palms in toward your head while they are down by your shoulders, twisting so that your palms face in front of you on the way up so that the ends of the dumbbell touch). Again, lots of bis and tris, and lunges and the sort to work the legs and flexibility. PM if you want the EXACT workout I do. I also do all my jogging/sprints on these days since it is generally lighter than my Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Don't cut lower than 2,500 on your calories if you're lifting 5 times a week though. Body has to run on something. As you workout, the fat deposits will burn off. I'm at 200 lbs, but only 14% body fat right now. Lost a lot of weight because in high school I was getting around 6,000 calories a day. Been working out like this since freshman year of high school (about 7 years). Works for me anyway. Hope it helps.

As far as P90X, it is definitely good. If I had the money, I'd do that or Insanity (another good workout program by Beach Body). Look up both and decide which you like more. Definitely the best as far as structure and being certain you work EVERYTHING though. I'd recommend, if you can, doing one of those two programs over anything, for what you want it for (weight loss, possible muscle gain).

Bench and dumbbells..all you need, really.

The workout I'm on is as follows:

Eat no more than 3,000-4,000 calories a day.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:

Bench 3X5

Incline 3X5

Squats 3X5 (can do this with dumbbells. Just the motion with some weight resistance will still burn calories)

Military Press 3X8

Then I finish with a TON of biceps and triceps exercises.

Tuesday and Thursday:

A variety of different exercises, most focus on specific muscles rather than broad lifting (like your bench, squat, etc). Focus more on back and core, shoulders (dumbbell military press. Palms in toward your head while they are down by your shoulders, twisting so that your palms face in front of you on the way up so that the ends of the dumbbell touch). Again, lots of bis and tris, and lunges and the sort to work the legs and flexibility. PM if you want the EXACT workout I do. I also do all my jogging/sprints on these days since it is generally lighter than my Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Don't cut lower than 2,500 on your calories if you're lifting 5 times a week though. Body has to run on something. As you workout, the fat deposits will burn off. I'm at 200 lbs, but only 14% body fat right now. Lost a lot of weight because in high school I was getting around 6,000 calories a day. Been working out like this since freshman year of high school (about 7 years). Works for me anyway. Hope it helps.

As far as P90X, it is definitely good. If I had the money, I'd do that or Insanity (another good workout program by Beach Body). Look up both and decide which you like more. Definitely the best as far as structure and being certain you work EVERYTHING though. I'd recommend, if you can, doing one of those two programs over anything, for what you want it for (weight loss, possible muscle gain).

D*mn bro...you don't mess around do you? PM me the workout if you don't mind. I would love to take a look at it.

If you are not in shape you can absolutely gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Once you are in shape then the bulking/cutting cycle has to begin, but you seem to be like me and just want to get to that point.

Building muscle will make you burn more calories anyway so I don't buy that fact that you have to do cardio.

My workout is Stronglifts5x5 - 3 days a week, 45 mins a day http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

If you are not in shape you can absolutely gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Once you are in shape then the bulking/cutting cycle has to begin, but you seem to be like me and just want to get to that point.

Building muscle will make you burn more calories anyway so I don't buy that fact that you have to do cardio.

My workout is Stronglifts5x5 - 3 days a week, 45 mins a day http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I may start doing the Stronglifts5x5. Seems simple enough and makes complete sense.

Archived