• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jerry Rice: Accuracy, not race, the issue with Cam Newton

mav1234

I don't know if you know this but comp % is not the same as accuracy

How do you measure it? Please provide any sort of proof besides your usual "I'm just going to blabber some poo and not back it up with anything" M.O.

I'd be interested in seeing how you break down accuracy. Do we factor in YPA? He had the highest YPA's in the NCAA.

How do you measure it? Please provide any sort of proof besides your usual "I'm just going to blabber some poo and not back it up with anything" M.O.

I'd be interested in seeing how you break down accuracy. Do we factor in YPA? He had the highest YPA's in the NCAA.

He breaks it down by saying "OMG, THAT WAS A BAD PASS!!!11", even though it was completed for 20 yards.

See you can't discredit what he did last season but yet y'all do that's what I call a hater.

it's not discrediting to point it out. It doesn't mean he was a bad college QB or he can't make it in the NFL. It's just... what it was.

I don't why people are acting like this is new.

This has been a knock on Newton ever since he declared.

I guess it's just because people have invested so much into him emotionally they feel the need to defend him even when they shouldn't be.

Who cares if he sucks!! He's BLACK!! Progress!!!

See you can't discredit what he did last season but yet y'all do that's what I call a hater.

I don't aim to discredit. Let me put it in caps.

HE HAD ONE OF THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASONS THERE HAS EVER BEEN.

Now let me continue. You have to look at what is beneath the surface of those numbers or performances when talking about the NFL. If were talking college my tone would change, but we're not.

You have to look at why his accuracy wasn't made an issue of and why his comp% looks so good. I didn't do a write up of every game but the one I did do he was 20/34 for 58%. Okay, no big deal. Then you look at the passes he threw. Note that I stopped tracking around early 3rd quarter.

He was 7/8 on throws behind the LOS to that point, there could have been more but lets just assume he ended there. That's 88% on throws behind the LOS and only 50% on throws in front of the LOS.

I'm not sure how that played out throughout the whole season but it looks to hold somewhat true for the whole season since they played that style of offense all year.

That's a little concerning, no? Then you look at his ball placement on deep throws and intermediate throws and they are all over the place but receivers are able to adjust because they are so wide open.

You can't just look at his comp% and automatically think he's accurate

I don't why people are acting like this is new.

This has been a knock on Newton ever since he declared.

I guess it's just because people have invested so much into him emotionally they feel the need to defend him even when they shouldn't be.

Who cares if he sucks!! He's BLACK!! Progress!!!

The #1 overall sucks! He's not a pocket passer! He doesnt look like Peyton! Luck is better!

You guys still suck at telling us who we should draft and how they will help us win. All you know is "I DONT WANT NEWTON", "I DONT WANT NEWTON". But it has nothing to do with his race. We are so exotic here in Pantherland, we're known for being so diverse. :ihih:

You don't get "accuracy" from a statistical measure... It's from watching games and looking at things like ball placement depending on what route is being run, what throws are being made, what's being completed and why...

Why would YPA factor into accuracy? His swing passes went for around 9 yards a pop. I look at a multitude of factors when making my determination on accuracy. There is no set way to determine it besides watching games and looking for ball placement and things like that.

Like most things sport, it can not be quantified on a stat sheet. You actually have to watch the game and know what you are watching.

He breaks it down by saying "OMG, THAT WAS A BAD PASS!!!11", even though it was completed for 20 yards.

Well if it was a bad pass it's a bad pass, regardless of the result.

The pass Jimmy threw to Stew was a terrible pass but it went for a 55yd TD.

Stew had to turn around and catch it like a punt.

Why would YPA factor into accuracy? His swing passes went for around 9 yards a pop. I look at a multitude of factors when making my determination on accuracy. There is no set way to determine it besides watching games and looking for ball placement and things like that.

Like most things sport, it can not be quantified on a stat sheet. You actually have to watch the game and know what you are watching.

Well if it was a bad pass it's a bad pass, regardless of the result.

The pass Jimmy threw to Stew was a terrible pass but it went for a 55yd TD.

Stew had to turn around and catch it like a punt.

haha leave poor Jimmy alone! It was his first TD. A thing of beauty... uhh.

if only it hadn't taken him like 8 weeks to get another :(

The #1 overall sucks! He's not a pocket passer! He doesnt look like Peyton! Luck is better!

You guys still suck at telling us who we should draft and how they will help us win. All you know is "I DONT WANT NEWTON", "I DONT WANT NEWTON". But it has nothing to do with his race. We are so exotic here in Pantherland, we're known for being so diverse. :ihih:

Your so right! My eyes have opened to the light! How have I not realized all this time that there was never even another prospect that I wanted! OH-EM-GOLLY!

I SEE NOW!

TheRealDeal, either you accept Cam Newton as THE CHOSEN ONE or you are a RACIST!

That all makes so much sense!! How did I not see this before?

Your so right! My eyes have opened to the light! How have I not realized all this time that there was never even another prospect that I wanted! OH-EM-GOLLY!

I SEE NOW!

TheRealDeal, either you accept Cam Newton as THE CHOSEN ONE or you are a RACIST!

That all makes so much sense!! How did I not see this before?

Well who should we draft? Anybody But Cam is not a person. We cant go to the podium and announce that. C'mon guy, you're cerebral as hell, an everyday Einstein, explain who we draft and how that makes us better and kicks off the Ron Rivera era of Panther football?

Archived