• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some questions assuming we draft Newton....

SorthNarolina

1. How long do you think it will take him to earn the starting job?

2. How long do you think it will take him to reach his potential?

3. How much of a grace period will he receive before you expect weekly pro-bowl caliber performances?

4. If he busts, will you fault Rivera and Hurney for making the pick?

5. Will Newton "change the way the game is played"?

My answers...

1. I think he will start at the latest around a quarter into the season.

2. I think roughly 2.5 seasons before he reaches that ceiling that people are so fond of.

3. I'll give him 3 years assuming he is showing minimal progress. If no progress is shown with bust-like themes then 2 seasons before they think about ditching him.

4. I will. Media and fans opinions don't matter.

5. No, this is just a cliche' that people say trying to turns his weaknesses inyo strength. What that really means is that Newton will have to change the way the game is played in order to succeed. If he succeeds it will be by conventional NFL standards of quarterbacking.

Semantics are fun.

Earn? Or get by default?

Potential, as in the best of his ability? Shortly after starting.

3. How much of a grace period will he receive before you expect weekly pro-bowl caliber performances?

Two years. If a number one pick isn't in hero mode after two full seasons, he's a bust.

4. If he busts, will you fault Rivera or Hurney for making the pick?

I will still blame Luck.

He will change the way Carolina plays, that's for sure.

Midway thru the next season.

1 calendar year of being in Carolina and learning whats expected of him.

By year 3 he needs to producing like a #1 overall pick is expected. This upcoming season is year 3 for Stafford, and I would say the same for him.

4. If he busts, will you fault Rivera or Hurney for making the pick?

No, because it is the right pick. If he busts I'll blame him for not taking advantage of this opportunity. Im very confident he wont bust though.

The way the game is played is already changing. Newton will change the Panthers and how they're perceived. He will also change the dynamic of our fanbase.

If he's drafted

1. He starts during the first season and I'd say probably the game after the BYE week.

2. 2 seasons if he works hard with Shula to get to his max potential and thats not saying he would be bad before that..

3. 2 seasons, although I think the expectation of improvement will be there weekly and his play will be heavily scrutinized.

4. The whole FO gets the blame for it, given how much JR likes Hurney though I don't think it matters a whole lot.

5. No, It's not Possible. Also I really don't want to see Newton trying to run over big ass LB'ers coming at him full speed.

Archived