• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton and The Curious Case of No Primetime Games

Ruff

Earlier today, when I was asked who I would take in the draft, I answered Marcell Dareus, but there was much more to it than that. I said that Marcell filled an immediate hole, would probably start day one, and would free up linebackers, etc. But, I also said that that pick didn't carry any sort of "flash" to it.

Marcell Dareus is a very good player. I think he is one of the Top 3 best in this draft. But, lets face it, DTs don't sell jerseys. (Suh did, but that's the exception, not the rule.)

But, on the other hand, Cam Newton will bring tons of media attention to Carolina. He may fill in immediately, or, he will at least compete immediately. (I'm not saying he won't beat out Jimmy, don't freak out Cam people.)

Cam Newton, though, is the type of player that ESPN wants to talk about. They want to watch him play. They want to see a good story, and Cam Newton is definitely an interesting story no matter how you look at it. I don't remember a prospect being this polarizing. I mean, look at the types of debates he's started up on here!

There's also another curious thing about this Draft. With our schedule being released a week and a half before the Draft, and it revealing we have no primetime games. I'm sure there was no one more furious about this than Jerry Richardson, but, honestly, what did he expect? He gutted an average team, leaving nothing but youth and inexperience.

But, somewhere, the Big Cat has to be thinking about all of the dollars that he lost this season by not having a single primetime game. No huge advertising dollars. Nothing to display his team, that he so loves. Nothing. Nada zip.

Now, onto to the question. Do any of you think that Jerry might be swayed by someone like Cam. Someone who can come in immediately, and have the bright light of the media follow them. Someone that, say, could potentially bring us a flex scheduled primetime game this season. Someone that will have reporters hammering at the door, will drive jersey sales, and will have more hits to the Panthers website?

Winning will bring media attention to the team, that's all I care about.

Winning sells tickets.

Oh, I know.

But my question was more focused in the "near-future".

Winning in Carolina wouldn't bring in everyone, not immediately, because we're such a small market team. I would compare it to a slow-moving storm front with huge potential versus a summer lightning storm that comes out of nowhere.

winning year in and year out gets the biggest media attention, not just the once in a couple years the panthers have been doing their whole franchise..even then it's not guaranteed just look at san diego still having trouble selling out games.

Earlier today, when I was asked who I would take in the draft, I answered Marcell Dareus, but there was much more to it than that. I said that Marcell filled an immediate hole, would probably start day one, and would free up linebackers, etc. But, I also said that that pick didn't carry any sort of "flash" to it.

Marcell Dareus is a very good player. I think he is one of the Top 3 best in this draft. But, lets face it, DTs don't sell jerseys. (Suh did, but that's the exception, not the rule.)

But, on the other hand, Cam Newton will bring tons of media attention to Carolina. He may fill in immediately, or, he will at least compete immediately. (I'm not saying he won't beat out Jimmy, don't freak out Cam people.)

Cam Newton, though, is the type of player that ESPN wants to talk about. They want to watch him play. They want to see a good story, and Cam Newton is definitely an interesting story no matter how you look at it. I don't remember a prospect being this polarizing. I mean, look at the types of debates he's started up on here!

There's also another curious thing about this Draft. With our schedule being released a week and a half before the Draft, and it revealing we have no primetime games. I'm sure there was no one more furious about this than Jerry Richardson, but, honestly, what did he expect? He gutted an average team, leaving nothing but youth and inexperience.

But, somewhere, the Big Cat has to be thinking about all of the dollars that he lost this season by not having a single primetime game. No huge advertising dollars. Nothing to display his team, that he so loves. Nothing. Nada zip.

Now, onto to the question. Do any of you think that Jerry might be swayed by someone like Cam. Someone who can come in immediately, and have the bright light of the media follow them. Someone that, say, could potentially bring us a flex scheduled primetime game this season. Someone that will have reporters hammering at the door, will drive jersey sales, and will have more hits to the Panthers website?

You have the wrong mind set. Winning is everything as long as cam wants to come in and learn. Use his poential and work his butt off and and try to be great and win football games. Thats all that Matter.

I like the idea of taking him and giving him time to get the hang of things behind Clausen. I think he could be great if he was given enough time to develop.

If Clausen is good enough to be a stable vet that will start while Newton learns then we shouldn't be drafting Cam at all. I would still rather the QB we drafted last year progress and be our starter but the QB position is to unstable to not address it somehow.

Archived