• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

marty hurney press conference tidbits

Sultan33g

You know, I just don't see your reasoning or purpose in this.

Are you Peppers cousin or something? As a fan there is no reason to believe a player is going to sue the NFL over the franchise tag as it has been used on many occasisions, just last year in Carolina, and no one has went to court over it.

If the Panthers put him in a corner, he might challenge the League rule is all I'm saying. Would he win? I don't know. The CBA, which ends soon if I'm not mistaken, could be vulnerable because it isn't fair. A team can pick out one guy on its roster that it owns as long as it wants (and can afford) to, but the rest of the players are free to come and go as they please?

Don't kill the messenger. We're talking about a rule that has never been challenged. Julius has the money to do it. If ever there was a spot for a player to challenge it, this is it.

If the Panthers put him in a corner, he might challenge the League rule is all I'm saying. Would he win? I don't know. The CBA, which ends soon if I'm not mistaken, could be vulnerable because it isn't fair. A team can pick out one guy on its roster that it owns as long as it wants (and can afford) to, but the rest of the players are free to come and go as they please?

Don't kill the messenger. We're talking about a rule that has never been challenged. Julius has the money to do it. If ever there was a spot for a player to challenge it, this is it.

I'm sure we could tie it up in the courts long enough for it not to matter this season

I actually see and understand your point that it could happen and I do agree with you that it could. I read your posts in other threads.

What I don't understand is why you are pushing it so hard. Are you that diehard of a Peppers fan? Related to him?

Most state laws allow any individual to sue another individual or company for any reason if the grievance is of a worth of $20 or more. For what it's worth Peppers had the ability and money to have sue the Panthers to release him from his original contract for some reason or another. It's easy to sue but it's hard to win. Especially when you legally have no case.

As for this about it not being fair that a player is singled out. This has been a rule in the NFL for the entire time Peppers has been in the league. If he didn't like it then he should have sued a long time before now.

I actually see and understand your point that it could happen and I do agree with you that it could. I read your posts in other threads.

What I don't understand is why you are pushing it so hard. Are you that diehard of a Peppers fan? Related to him?

Most state laws allow any individual to sue another individual or company for any reason if the grievance is of a worth of $20 or more. For what it's worth Peppers had the ability and money to have sue the Panthers to release him from his original contract for some reason or another. It's easy to sue but it's hard to win. Especially when you legally have no case.

As for this about it not being fair that a player is singled out. This has been a rule in the NFL for the entire time Peppers has been in the league. If he didn't like it then he should have sued a long time before now.

Just because it has been the rule doesn't mean it's fair and can't be challenged.

Look, I'm not pushing for Peppers to sue. I would love to see the Panthers get something for him and both sides feeling they got something out of the deal.

I worked with Pep for seven years. He's a class act. He never complained, even when everyone else around him was. Think about that and how rare that is. Now he's a pariah on this board.

I don't want to see him be forced to come back and play for the Panthers if that's not what he wants. I don't think the Panthers want that, either.

Just because it has been the rule doesn't mean it's fair and can't be challenged.

Look, I'm not pushing for Peppers to sue. I would love to see the Panthers get something for him and both sides feeling they got something out of the deal.

I worked with Pep for seven years. He's a class act. He never complained, even when everyone else around him was. Think about that and how rare that is. Now he's a pariah on this board.

I don't want to see him be forced to come back and play for the Panthers if that's not what he wants. I don't think the Panthers want that, either.

See, now that makes a lot more sence to me that you are friends with Peppers, or at least worked with him. Your argument seemed personal and I didn't understand why. Now I know.

With that being said, if Peppers has a problem with the rule he should have pursued legal action much sooner than now. This is like someone getting busted for possesion of pot and then trying to get it legalized before the trail. Good in theroy but not very realistic.

And just for information, Peppers could not sue the NFL. He would have to sue the NFLPA and then having won that get the CBA deemed unconstitutional or illegal. At no point would he be able to directly go after the NFL.

See, now that makes a lot more sence to me that you are friends with Peppers, or at least worked with him. Your argument seemed personal and I didn't understand why. Now I know.

With that being said, if Peppers has a problem with the rule he should have pursued legal action much sooner than now. This is like someone getting busted for possesion of pot and then trying to get it legalized before the trail. Good in theroy but not very realistic.

And just for information, Peppers could not sue the NFL. He would have to sue the NFLPA and then having won that get the CBA deemed unconstitutional or illegal. At no point would he be able to directly go after the NFL.

I know this....the owners blinked at the last second two or three years ago, or there wouldn't be a CBA now. It will be interesting to see how the next one plays out.

No he cannot win. he is a member of the NFLPA which means he has to abide by the agreed to CBA. he has NO Legal option here.

It would never make it to court.

No he cannot win. he is a member of the NFLPA which means he has to abide by the agreed to CBA. he has NO Legal option here.

Since they both agreed to the CBA he would in essense have to sue both of them as parties. Since he is a member of one of those parties, wouldn't he be in essense suing himself??

Don't think you can do that.

He could say that the union by agreeing to the current cba didn't have players best interest in mind when making the deal. challenging the fact that PA kept the tags in the cba, which directly in turn affects the lively hood of a player effected by the tag system. He's part of the PA, but that doesn't mean he agrees with what they think or do. Realistically he would've had to of dropped himself from the PA before the current CBA.

Archived