• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I came to a realization today...

Ricky Spanish

After thinking long and hard (ha) about the draft process, the state of the team, the way things have been going, how the media has been reporting things, and all that jazz, i have come to a few conclusions about what is going to happen on Thursday:

-Hurney is going to try like hell to trade out of the first pick to get a second rounder back.

-We do not want Newton as much as we want people to think we want him. Crucify me if you want for saying this, but all the cam hype from the media and what not is all a smokescreen to try and trade up for him. I have a gut feeling that Hurney isn't about to put his job on the line for the development of one of the most controversially prospects in the past decade.

-In the event we can trade with the bills so they take cam, we will take dareus if still available, Green, or Peterson.

-The team wants to start winning NOW and not wait a few years down the line for it to happen. They will NOT take a QB. I have just come to terms with this and am OK with that. Because no matter how much I WANT to like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, I don't. I feel like they will both suck in the NFL. Gut feeling.

If we stay at #1 we are probably going to take Dareus. He is the safest pick, we need help on the D-Line, he is hard working, smart, and would help us instantly. Our schedule next year is going to be brutal, we need all the help we can get. When our QB's suck again next year and we are again picking in the top 5, we will take a much better QB prospect than the ones this draft has to offer.

Now do I necessarily want this stuff to happen? no not really. I wish there was a QB we knew would be great, not one that COULD be great if the planets aligned the right way.

Call me crazy, but i think we go a different route than Cam Newton come this Thursday.

flame away

I posted something WAY better than this and i got stepped on and ignored in a previous post... If i could have started my own thread though, i would have put that post to shame!

I agree 100% Cracka! Did you read my earlier post?

Piccolo_facepalm.jpg

Dareus has lost a little steam to me. He is going to be good IMO but I haven't seen anything that makes me feel he is going to be special.

I just have a feeling that Dareus is going to be a very above average DT that gets 4-5 sacks a year and does a very good job inside. I just don't see him being a big time disruptor in the backfield on passing downs. But I also have no doubt that he is going to be a really good DT (I'm not bashing the guy).

It is weird because Fairley and Cam both come from Auburn and both are very similar issues in terms of NFL projections. Both have a chance to be superstars at their positions but also have chances to be busts.

I definitely still have Cam #1. But if we don't go there I think I would rather see us go PP7. Especially if Peterson agrees to return kicks and punts.

I actually posted this in "drafting another QB could land us in the cellar again"

But like I said.. it got stepped on pretty bad... I dont think anybody even saw it to be honest! anyways here it is Cracka

Drafting a QB may land us at the TOP of the Division!!! Look fellas, it's open for debate on whether or not Jimmy Clausen will be an NFL caliber QB... My thoughts on that are HELL NO! The dude even looks half retarded to be honest. Then he gets on Twitter and cries about not being invited to fellow teammates parties.... C'mon Maaan! Say what you want about a lame duck coach, bad OC, or what have you. A QB is supposed to be a LEADER right! The leader of the football team... The FACE of the franchise! Who here HONESTLY believes that he can be either!? I can tell you who does NOT... A few players have BLASTED him publicly... to name just a couple... Jon Beason, and Steve Smith! These are OUR captains! There have been more people that have slammed him too! Enough about Jimmy though...

Say we take a QB... Cam Newton.... because I think Gabbert has a "homo" aura about him and i think Newton is better! I don't recall Gabbert winning a Heisman or national Championship!?

Say we take Cam (which i hope we do) he instantly gives us a face, instantly rejuvenates a young Panther locker room, and loyal fan base! Those are FACTS whether you like the guy or not... This guy makes us WAY better than we were last year INSTANTLY!! Our defense was STR8 last year guys... they just stayed on the fieled for over 1/2 of each game! They can only hold people for so long. and with our Offense, (if you really want to call it that) not scoring any points....what did you expect our record to be....

Cam Newton gives us the ability to keep the NFC South tradition alive (although it was broken last year) from going from the worst in the division to winning the division title the very next year! All this cellar talk is for Oscar Meyer...Just baloney!!!! Cam gives us a Spark and his work ethic is SECOND to none! Where's Jimmy at now??? at home praying that they dont draft Cam... His ass should be organizing team workouts like Colt Mccoy is doing though! And you guys wonder why we only won 2 games! I guarentee you that within two weeks of Cam being drafted (whoever drafts him) he has organized team workouts or at least at a minimum has his receivers out there running routes. He has done that at EVERY LEVEL HIS ENTIRE CAREER!

Sure, he bought a stolen a laptop, maybe cheated on a test... maybe even knew about his dad and the $$... No there is NO Guarantee that he will save our franchise... but he COULD!!! Isn't that why Obama was elected? hope...

(Not saying that he delivered) (or that he has even done a good job) but I can use some hope for this team as a fan of the Panthers and of the game. This guy has the ABILITY to revolutionize the Position!! He's charismatic... I don't know but it must be tough being in the draft room evaluating his talent and then passing on the guy!

So in summary... Drafting a QB won't put us in the cellar unless it's Gabbert in my opinion! He's nothing spectacular... Cam is and that's why there's so much HYPE surrounding his name. actually another thought before i go....

To all of you who doubt that a first year QB can come in and make a real difference for a team during his ROOKIE season... what do you say about guys like: Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Stafford (when healthy), Bradford last year... I mean and thats just recently... these guys started in year one and made their teams EXPONENTIALLY better! Don't buy into the hype that the talking heads say on ESPN... They get paid to TALK!!! (which must be nice by the way)sometimes they let CRAP out of their mouths just to start debates like we're doing right now!

In the end... If we take Dareus and pass on Newton I would totally UNDERSTAND... We have a defensive GURU as our HC... It would make sense!

If we trade down to 3 get a 2nd rounder and still snag Peterson at the 3 spot I'm still happy! Now if we totally blow this draft and dont pick Cam, Dareus, or Peterson I'll be pissed! I don't care how many draft picks we get in this years or next years draft class... We have a young team with A LOT of talent. Our BLARING hole is at the helm! QB! PERIOD!

Imagine this for a second... Cam under center, DeAngelo behind him... Smith, Edwards, and Lafell or Gettis split out, Shockey at tight end.... What do you do if you're a defense!? Blitz the corners? oh ok... quick screen to Armanti Edwards... but wait, he drops back and "PASSES" accross the field to a wide open Steve smith! Maybe they'll load the box huh... Play action the LB's bite and pick a receiver any receiver!!!!

We're missing that one piece to this puzzle, and we can turn this thing around 180 degrees from day one. The question is will we do it? If we don't though and take Dareus first...it sures up our DL for yeas to come! To be honest Jake Locker looks pretty good to me, and I think he's better than Clausen too! So much to speculate about. Never really liked Cam until he came back and beat an NFL caliber defense in Nick Saban's Alabama team! Where was dareus at when Cam went crazy in the second half!? Was he taking plays off!??? Because I think we've been down that road before...and If i have a choice I pass on him! But he's a beast!

Truth be told... we need to hit the JACKPOT in the later rnds of the draft! Thats what will make us or break us. We need role players that fit in our system. Once the CBA is reached a good vet on each side of the ball sures us up! I have high hopes this season for the Panthers!

The thoughts of drafting first again next year are CRAZY!!!! The Sky is the limit!

This was my 2nd post here and I obviously know football... I'm looking forward to mixing it up with all of you while we wait on these guys (The NFL) to get their Shyite together!

Gotta go for now

-Deuces

Dareus has lost a little steam to me. He is going to be good IMO but I haven't seen anything that makes me feel he is going to be special.

I just have a feeling that Dareus is going to be a very above average DT that gets 4-5 sacks a year and does a very good job inside. I just don't see him being a big time disruptor in the backfield on passing downs. But I also have no doubt that he is going to be a really good DT (I'm not bashing the guy).

It is weird because Fairley and Cam both come from Auburn and both are very similar issues in terms of NFL projections. Both have a chance to be superstars at their positions but also have chances to be busts.

I definitely still have Cam #1. But if we don't go there I think I would rather see us go PP7. Especially if Peterson agrees to return kicks and punts.

I agree 100% on your opinion of dareus. I don't think he will be a suh, but I do think he will be a damn good DT.

With Smitty not wanting to be here and everything, I would really not be surprised if we find a way to take AJ Green.

Archived