• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mark Sanchez

joemac

Fox wouldn't draft a QB with our first pick.

It keeps being said, with no justification to back it up. Could it be that we simply haven't had a pick at the right spot in the draft for him to take one so early. Its not as though they haven't drafted QBs in the earlier rounds.

This franchise, as of late, seems to take the best player available, and try to marry that with need, if they can. Therefore, depending on the player available at 'X' pick...I firmly believe, they will take a quarterback.

I'm sitting at my house watching the combine coverage on NFL Network. News is Crabtree is injuried and will not participate in the combine. He will also reqire surgery that will have him ready to go for training camps but prob not before then. Sound fimilar?

Crabtree could take a slight fall like Stewart did last year. I'm like most and want a defensive player taken first but I would not mind at all if the Panthers drafted Crabtree. Of course we would probably need to get a good trade out of Peppers to make that happen.

It keeps being said, with no justification to back it up. Could it be that we simply haven't had a pick at the right spot in the draft for him to take one so early. Its not as though they haven't drafted QBs in the earlier rounds.

This franchise, as of late, seems to take the best player available, and try to marry that with need, if they can. Therefore, depending on the player available at 'X' pick...I firmly believe, they will take a quarterback.

The justification is that Fox has said directly to the press that he does not believe in drafting a high round QB because you have too much money tied up in a player to let him sit and develop. Honestly I don't understand why people keep having a problem understanding that. To be fair, I'm sure you didn't hear Fox state that, I'll try to find a link, it was several years ago...

I know Fox has also said as a direct quote words to the effect that even if he had John Elway he would play it the same way philosophy wise. To me, that means he doesn't feel the need to draft a QB high and pay him all that $$ to do what you can get a midlevel guy to do. It's a waste.

The justification is that Fox has said directly to the press that he does not believe in drafting a high round QB because you have too much money tied up in a player to let him sit and develop. Honestly I don't understand why people keep having a problem understanding that. To be fair, I'm sure you didn't hear Fox state that, I'll try to find a link, it was several years ago...

and yet no proof to back that up....

Find me a press conference that he has ever said that and I will give credit and where credit is due

and yet no proof to back that up....

Find me a press conference that he has ever said that and I will give credit and where credit is due

Panthers Mailbag: Pat Yasinskas

Kashaud in Oxford writes: If The Panthers Franchise Julius Pepper and get a 1st Rounder. Should they look forward to get a QB in the first round, or should they just stick to getting a replacement for Peppers?

Pat Yasinskas: If the Panthers do end up with a first-round pick, I strongly suspect they'll use it on a defensive end to replace Julius Peppers. I know a lot of fans are down on quarterback Jake Delhomme and I understand that. However, I know the philosophy of coach John Fox and Marty Hurney and they strongly believe it takes too long to develop a rookie quarterback. Do you really want to see a rookie take over a 12-4 team? That's a scenario that usually (Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were major exceptions) leads to a step back.

Gantt has said the same thing on more than one occasion. His most recent comment was directed more at FA than the draft, but he said this:

...all those folks wondering about Matt Cassell or Derek Anderson or whatever "next best thing," they see in the draft shouldn't hold their breath.

Calm down with the QB dreams

Mintal's not making this up.

As much respect that I have for you and Mintal, that still does not prove to me that we wouldn't. Let me clarify that in no way that I am justifying that we should take a QB in the draft but I want to hear directly from Fox and Hurney that they wouldn't take a QB in the 1st round.

The argument is useless anyways without a 1st round pick to argue about. We still don't know for sure if Peppers will even be traded.

Still, the fact is, Fox and Hurney have also always said that that they will draft the Best Player Available and so if that was the case, I don't see how they can rule out a QB on the list of Best Players Available

As much respect that I have for you and Mintal, that still does not prove to me that we wouldn't. Let me clarify that in no way that I am justifying that we should take a QB in the draft but I want to hear directly from Fox and Hurney that they wouldn't take a QB in the 1st round.

The argument is useless anyways without a 1st round pick to argue about. We still don't know for sure if Peppers will even be traded.

Still, the fact is, Fox and Hurney have also always said that that they will draft the Best Player Available and so if that was the case, I don't see how they can rule out a QB on the list of Best Players Available

If you look at their record of drafting, it isn't always BPA in the higher rounds. Lower rounds? Sure, but not necessarily in the higher ones.

Bottom line though: Even if you subscribe to the BPA philosophy, QB is a unique position. If you're happy with your starter and your backup and you have needs at another spot, taking a QB with a high pick is a dumb move.

Archived