• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rebuilding year was last year...

one of the things the national media misses out on are the unique situations of each team.

One situation i feel is the fact that our salary dump and youth movement came before the new regime. We are not devoid of talent, experience, or cap room.

But at our most important position we could likely be starting a rookie QB!

It didn't stop the 09 Jets, 04 Steelers, or the 08 Ravens.

Well yeah, but those teams surrounded him with talent! Their QB's didn't have to lift a finger

Yep, they did. More specifically a very good defense and running game. The Steelers, Ravens, and Jets were 32nd, 29th, and 32nd is NFL passing attempts.

I'd say our new head coach would know a thing or two about defense wouldn't you? We know that's where he's going to concentrate.

How about a run game? Are we not capable of generating a strong rushing attack? Even last year it peaked it's head out a few times.

This rushing attack allows us to put Newton in the right environment due to how the team was built during Foxball. Jake Delhomme was last in the league in attempts in 2008. Ironically Foxball is the perfect environment for a rookie QB to develop.

But we went 2-14!!!!

The Ravens and Steelers weren't exactly world beaters their previous years and they ended up fighting head-to-head for the AFC championship. 5-11 isn't the same as 2-14. But close enough to make my point.

The Jets went the Vet route, after going 4-12 in 2007 they signed Brett Favre. Sanchez inherited a decent team and despite playing poorly it was enough as he's seen the AFC championship game twice.

The 2007 dolphins went 1-15 only to return to the playoffs one season later.

But we have new coaches!!!

Not to sound like a broken record, the 2008 dolphins and Ravens both had new coaches.

But there's a lockout!!!

You have a point;). The lockout will be detrimental to all teams but especially hard on team with new coaches. If no work is allowed to be done then we will have to accept the season will probably not be the demonstration of a well oiled machine. However with Rivera working 14 hour days and vet players I still see reasons to be optimistic.

I just felt like getting a little bit of my blind homer optimism out into the board. Happy Monday!!!

:party:

We could have easily had 5 wins last year with a little more competent QB play.

I still consider last year a tear down year and this year a rebuilding year though.

Last year destroyed my optimism. I honestly thought we had a Super bowl run in us before preseason. :(

Archived