• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney still quiet about Lucas...

#1 Panthers Fan

Another point about Lucas, he said when he got his nose broken in training camp and had to sit out that he basically lost all the pre-season conditioning he had built up. He may have been fighting all year to get back into shape, and it would make sense because he got worse as the year wore on.

I don't see anybody on the roster right now that I would consider an upgrade to Lucas, so unless we bring in a FA or work a trade that would result in an upgrade I say we keep him.

If we keep Peppers we really don't need anyone on the D line if Lewis comes back healthy except for a few backups. If Peppers is traded we will have plenty of picks and cap space to make the moves we want. Foox said he fixed the offense last year and would do the same for the defense. I expect they will do just that. Probably bring in several guys looking for that diamond in the rough or retread like we found with Vincent.

As for Lucas we have the replacement, Marshall. If Meeks is as good as he is advertised with DBs, Marshall will be fine this year. All we need is a nickel and that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Our entire defensive philosophy is built around the D-line, we completely ignored the interior last year and it costed us in the end, we can't afford to do that again or we will not be competitive.

Marshall won't be the successsor to lucas that everybody thinks he will be, he's an excellent player and plays at a high level on special teams and defense.

As much as marshall sees the field he is pretty much a starter, so him replacing lucas wouldn't make a big change but unless we can find somebody as good as marshall to play nickel we will all be yelling at our Televisions in 09 a good bit.

We'll see what happens tomorrow...the FO knows what is best but i really feel that lucas should stay(hopefully at a resonable price).

I've said plenty that I believe we need a Jenkins type every-down DT to allow LKemo and Lewis to return to the rotation they had before. Lack of interior pass rush pressure was a huge issue last season.

I wonder if the lewis restructure/extension/pay cut lends itself to the thinking that maybe that's the case.

Archived