• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hiring question

Hawk

so it's been a while since I've done any of this, so I'll ask you folks...

I'm considering a new job with a new company...interview is done all that kind of stuff...for a number of reasons, I haven't decided on whether or not I want to switch or not.

in today's day and age, is it normal for a applicant to counter offer the offer they have given me or is the norm just to take it and go?

I think writing it, I answered my own question...but looking for your opinions.

I heard you can negotiate a better deal if you wear a Panthers polo shirt :D

Yes, it is ok to haggle. I know your industry (general) and they usually have wiggle room when it comes to getting a ringer. Make your lines in the sand and the ones you can afford to negotiate away.

Me, I always ask for a pony because it is something i am willing to let them negotiate away from me.

I heard you can negotiate a better deal if you wear a Panthers polo shirt :D

Yes, it is ok to haggle. I know your industry (general) and they usually have wiggle room when it comes to getting a ringer. Make your lines in the sand and the ones you can afford to negotiate away.

Me, I always ask for a pony because it is something i am willing to let them negotiate away from me.

he may not be willing to part with his moose..

2 moose comments already... lame!

you will all think I'm crazy I am sure...more than normal....the offer is less than what I currently make, but more than I thought they might offer. I'm more looking for a change more than anything and while it wasn't my intention, hope to maybe use this as leverage in my own company for a change instead. My brain is overloaded...there are so many positives and yet a bunch of negatives too. Where's the Easy Button now?

you will all think I'm crazy I am sure...more than normal....the offer is less than what I currently make, but more than I thought they might offer. I'm more looking for a change more than anything and while it wasn't my intention, hope to maybe use this as leverage in my own company for a change instead. My brain is overloaded...there are so many positives and yet a bunch of negatives too. Where's the Easy Button now?

You need to make a counter offer. The worst they can say is no.

A good thing to say is something along the lines of, I am really intersted in this position and it seems like great fit to me, but I can't consider leaving X company for less than X amount.

Also, throw it out there that you are looking at a couple other options, even if you aren't, just to make it known you are wanted.

This might be just with sales, but you should always try and negotiate for something better, it can never hurt. Maybe they will offer you more than you ever thought you could get.

The worst thing that can happen is they either say no or you negotiate with them for something in between what they want and what you want.

I would always counter. They aren't going to withdrawal their original offer so what do you have to lose? Just counter with something reasonable and they'll meet you halfway or a bit lower than halfway. That's my experience (granted it's only been two different salaried positions).

If you don't want to counter your starting salary, or if they completely reject your counter offer, you should try to negotiate a guaranteed raise of X% or $X by a certain date - say Jan. 2012 - conditional upon a positive performance review (assuming you'll have one...) after six months.

Make sure you question the hell out of them on vacation, medical and don't just think about the $ part. I have been screwed so many times on all that its embarrassing at this point. I found out the hard way at my current job and now I have no medical insurance. I work out of state and it is set up to where it is so expensive I can't afford it.

definitely agree with BB above. i took a pretty substantial pay cut to come work for the company i'm with now, but it was worth it. better for my career, 100% of health premiums paid, 200% 401(k) matching, and access to incredible tickets for the hawks, falcons, braves, etc. i negotiated guaranteed raises over my first two years as well.

Archived