• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lucas nixes deal to Detroit; could be cut

CanadianCat

It would really suck if they were offering say a 3rd round pick but because he vetoed the trade we end up cutting him for nothing. I don't think he's worth more than a late round pick myself, but i'm very interested to here what the compensation would've been.

Would you sign with Detroit on the end stretch of your career? Ken has done more for us than that.

If Lucas had accepted the trade, he would get his base salary of $5.6 million this year.....instead he turned it down, will probably get cut, and take his chances in the FA market that is deep at CB. At this stage in his career - he should have taken the $5.6 million, played out his final year on the contract, and gone back into the FA market next year. (especially since next year has no salary cap). Just my opinion....

If Lucas had accepted the trade, he would get his base salary of $5.6 million this year.....instead he turned it down, will probably get cut, and take his chances in the FA market that is deep at CB. At this stage in his career - he should have taken the $5.6 million, played out his final year on the contract, and gone back into the FA market next year. (especially since next year has no salary cap). Just my opinion....

I agree. Apparently money is not a huge issue for Lucas.

Indeed, it was proven to be a true rumor. As opposed to an untrue rumor.

Apologies, original post edited. The whole thing just looked bogus on its surface when I read the original post, like someone was trying to start another rumor instead of actually having some information. I was wrong. Sorry.

The link made me wonder too, but I heard confirmation shortly later.

I'm starting to think Lucas has put himself in a bit of a pickle by refusing the trade. If the Panthers hang on to him for a while longer but then decide cut him down the road, he may find it harder to get on with a team as many will have already filled their CB needs in FA. That reduces bidding wars which potentially reduces his offers.

I wonder if it was going to Detroit that was the biggest factor or perhaps it was a trade contingent on him signing a new contract with the Lions...one he got whiff of and didn't like one bit based on the wording.

Archived