• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams stays in Carolina 5 years 43 mil 21 guaranteed

The Saltman

I really don't understand the logic behind this. DeAngelo is a veteran back who has been declining the past 2 seasons and hasn't been able to stay healthy. He may help this season but it doesn't make sense long-term. Especially when you have a 1st round pick as his backup. Plus Mike Goodson has shown he is very effective change-of-pace back. How many running backs do you need?

Williams is not on the decline. He doesn't look slower, or not as quick. Deangelo is a special talent that is not easily replaced. We have something at RB that no one else in league has. Though I agree with you that Goodson is on the verge of making a name for himself I can in no way fault the FO for retaining Williams. Keep in mind that this guy is basically a model panther. Great with the media, awesome team player, and does a ton for the community. Also, we having been paying practically nothing for Williams' services the past few years.

We take care of our own. That's something I like about JR, whether the decisions doesn't look so good in the long run or not. Except the Jake D. contract.

For the folks still scratching their head or complaining:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/22820/validating-deangelo-williams-deal

so basically...he dat deal

maybe i'm reading the article wrong, but williams is the only rb on the list who has been in the league for 5 seasons...

williams - 5

bradshaw - 4

johnson - 3

peterson - 4

and i can see why 500 attempts is the cutoff. it edges out the best rb in the league who only has 487 attempts...

he's the only rb in the league who's ypc goes up when he gets more attempts

jamaal charles -

2008 - 67 attempts, 357 yards, 5.3ypc

2009 - 190 attempts, 1120 yards, 5.9ypc

2010 - 230 attempts, 1467 yards, 6.4ypc

career - 487 attempts, 2944 yards, 6.0ypc

jamaal charles's contract? signed just last year...6 yrs, $27.97m, $10m guaranteed.

that is why i'm scratching my head.

• 1 year later...

Archived