• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

53 Man Roster Projection

Seltzer

After reading Steve Reed's Roster Analysis, Here is who I think will make the 53 man roster today:

http://carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=987:analysis-as-the-panthers-break-training-camp-we-break-down-the-roster&catid=1:articles

QB (3): Newton, Clausen, Anderson (although given the limited snaps given to Anderson I wouldn't be shocked if the team cuts him and picks up another veteran. They certainly don't seem very invested in him).

RB (5): Williams, Stewart, Goodson, Sutton, Fiametta (I know some people think Fiametta could be cut but I don't see it happening. Even though they are going to spread it out some, I think we will still some power-set, I-formations)

WR (5): Smitty, Naanee, LaFell, Armanti, Pilares (Think they keep 5 here and make it up with an extra tight end. If they keep 6, I think Charly Martin makes it. If there is a 6th WR, he will prob be inactive game days).

TE (4): Olsen, Shockey, Hartsock, Barnidge (All 4 deserve to make roster and can contribute. Hands down the best TE group ever in Carolina. Expecting big things.)

OL (9): Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Schwartz, Otah, Bernerdeau, Garry Williams, Ziemba, Byron Bell. (Duke Robinson cut- CJ Davis may make if they keep 10 as a backup center).

DE (4): Johnson, Hardy, Norwood, Brown (Really hope Hardy will back next week practicing).

DT (4): Fua, Irvin, McClain, Cut/Waiver Claim (Maybe they keep Neblett or Hayden, but hopefully an upgrade is available. See this group kind of like how DE's were last year- not lights out, but the DT's have exceeded my expectations so far based on practice reports and 1 preseason game. Still would be nice to find someone with starting potential among cuts- Neblett and Hayden are marginal backups at best.)

LB (7): Davis, Beason, Anderson, Connor, Gaither, Senn, Lawrence Wilson (Deepest group on roster. Think Wilson makes it over Thomas Williams who has looked good b/c he is a draft pick. Is possible they might keep Thomas Williams and try to put Wilson on the practice squad. Either way, 7th LB will probably be inactive on game day. Connor, Gaither, and Senn will contribute a lot on ST plus good depth. It wouldn't surprise me if the guys that will probably be cut (Thomas Williams, Jason Williams, and Sean Ware) all end up on somebody's roster. Very good group. Even Sean Ware, who to me looked noticeable slower than the rest of our LB group in the practice I was at has made some ST plays)

CB (5): Gamble, Munnerlyn, Cuts/Waiver Claim/Who Knows (Really don't know how this shakes out other than I think we will add at least one or 2 CB's from cuts. CB's didn't play that bad against the Giants, but I still can't feel good about this group overall. I think RJ Stanford and Robert McClain have a decent shot of making the roster, and I wouldn't rule out Kendrick Burney or Chevis Jackson, but I really don't know. A lot of these guys have potential but it's scary to go into the NFC South so unproven at this position. I doubt they will try to rush Hogan back this year. 5th CB will probably be inactive, but I do think they will keep 5 for depth.

S (4): Godfrey, Martin, Pugh, Considine (One of the strongest safety groups the Panthers have had. Sounds like the coaching staff is planning to play them all, especially Godfrey, Martin, and Pugh. Hopefully we can cover some of the deificiencies at CB with these guys in nickel and dime situations. Sounds like they have had success moving Martin to CB in passing downs. Whatever works).

K (3): Mare, Baker, JJ Jansen

Decent roster on paper. Feel a lot better about the potential this year than last year. Depth wise, the offensive side of the ball looks better than the defense, but I have faith in Rivera and McDermitt to do well.

This season will be defined by our QB's. And while it will have to be better than last year, the playoffs look a year away. I'm looking forward to an exciting year of football (putting Foxball in the rear-view mirror). I've had PSL's for 6 years, and I am actually the most excited about this team since I was before 2006 when I started going to games.

Go Panthers!

Good prediction. Almost like mine. I got this after week 1 of preseason:

OFFENSE:

WR1: Steve Smith - Armanti Edwards - *Kealoha Pilares*

LT: Jordan Gross - Jacob Bender

LG: Travelle Wharton

C: Ryan Kalil - C.J. Davis

RG: Geoff Schwartz - Mackenzy Bernadeau

RT: Jeff Otah - *Lee Ziemba*

TE: #Greg Olsen# - #Jeremy Shockey# - Gary Barnidge

WR2: #Legedu Naanee# - Brandon LaFell - Charly Martin

QB: *Cam Newton* - Jimmy Clausen - #Derek Anderson#

FB: Tony Fiammetta - #Ben Hartsock#

RB: DeAngelo Williams - Jonathan Stewart - Mike Goodson

DEFENSE:

LE: Charles Johnson - Everette Brown

DLT: *Sione Fua* - Andre Neblett

DRT: *Terrell McClain* - Corvey Irvin - Nick Hayden

RE: Greg Hardy - Eric Norwood

SLB: James Anderson - Jordan Senn

MLB: Jon Beason - Dan Connor

WLB: Thomas Davis - #Omar Gaither#

LCB: Chris Gamble - Robert McClain

RCB: Captain Munnerlyn - C.J. Wilson - (Kendric Burney)

SS: Charles Godfrey - #Sean Considine#

FS: Sherrod Martin - Jordan Pugh

SPECIAL TEAMS

K/KO: #Olindo Mare#

P/H: Jason Baker

DS: J.J. Jansen - James Anderson - Gary Barnidge - Ryan Kalil

KR: Mike Goodson - Armanti Edwards

PR: Armanti Edwards - Captain Munnerlyn

# = Free Agent

* = Draft Pick

( ) = UDFA

Hoping we sign a DT to not only help out the line but also get Hayden off of it. And a #2 CB is very crucial. Still think we should've signed Rogers.

Pugh has is moments where he can be a starter. Maybe let him take a safety spot and let Martin man up on somebody on 3rd down.

Has to be a better option right now than letting RJ Stanford man up against Harry Douglas or Lance Moore on 3rd down

Still think we should've signed Rogers.

2nd That. He only signed a one-year deal in SF, and it wasn't for crazy money. I like Munnerlyn a lot as a nickel back and even some as a starter, but who really wants to see him matched up against Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, or Roddy White. Size advantage alone is ridiculous.

And I know they want Gamble to match up against the #1 WR, but if he goes down (which is certainly a possibility given the past 2 seasons), Munnerlyn is the next guy up. Munnerlyn plays like a champion, but a 5'8" (maybe) CB just ain't equipped to match up against some of the WR in the league

I think Rivera may try to utilize variations of packages with the safeties to overcome the CB depth.

Pugh has is moments where he can be a starter. Maybe let him take a safety spot and let Martin man up on somebody on 3rd down.

I think we did that with Thomas Davis (back when he was a safety) in 2005.

Good prediction. Almost like mine. I got this after week 1 of preseason:

OFFENSE:

WR1: Steve Smith - Armanti Edwards - *Kealoha Pilares*

LT: Jordan Gross - Jacob Bender

LG: Travelle Wharton

C: Ryan Kalil - C.J. Davis

RG: Geoff Schwartz - Mackenzy Bernadeau

RT: Jeff Otah - *Lee Ziemba*

TE: #Greg Olsen# - #Jeremy Shockey# - Gary Barnidge

WR2: #Legedu Naanee# - Brandon LaFell - Charly Martin

QB: *Cam Newton* - Jimmy Clausen - #Derek Anderson#

FB: Tony Fiammetta - #Ben Hartsock#

RB: DeAngelo Williams - Jonathan Stewart - Mike Goodson

DEFENSE:

LE: Charles Johnson - Everette Brown

DLT: *Sione Fua* - Andre Neblett

DRT: *Terrell McClain* - Corvey Irvin - Nick Hayden

RE: Greg Hardy - Eric Norwood

SLB: James Anderson - Jordan Senn

MLB: Jon Beason - Dan Connor

WLB: Thomas Davis - #Omar Gaither#

LCB: Chris Gamble - Robert McClain

RCB: Captain Munnerlyn - C.J. Wilson - (Kendric Burney)

SS: Charles Godfrey - #Sean Considine#

FS: Sherrod Martin - Jordan Pugh

SPECIAL TEAMS

K/KO: #Olindo Mare#

P/H: Jason Baker

DS: J.J. Jansen - James Anderson - Gary Barnidge - Ryan Kalil

KR: Mike Goodson - Armanti Edwards

PR: Armanti Edwards - Captain Munnerlyn

# = Free Agent

* = Draft Pick

( ) = UDFA

Hoping we sign a DT to not only help out the line but also get Hayden off of it. And a #2 CB is very crucial. Still think we should've signed Rogers.

This is good. Bender is a great pick, which shows you pay attention. He may not make the team, but he has looked good.

I know everybody hated Fox with some of the decisions he made. Yet one of the better decisions he ever made was putting Sherrod Martin at safety. There is no way I want to move him back to corner and leave our last line of defense up for target practice. If we move Martin to CB at any time, this will happen.........

Archived