• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would it take?

twylyght

Jimmy's throws last week were long enough to stretch the field as much as this offense needs... but you are right about Cam being the future.

Cool I have heard mixed things about that from people who were there. 2 people from opposite ends of the Cam Newton spectrum both said his first deep ball was pretty. After that they differed.

Jimmy's throws last week were long enough to stretch the field as much as this offense needs... but you are right about Cam being the future.

very debatable. A mean his deep ball/stetching the field is 15 yards?

Cool I have heard mixed things about that from people who were there. 2 people from opposite ends of the Cam Newton spectrum both said his first deep ball was pretty. After that they differed.

He can't stretch the field like Cam can, that's for sure, but it's enough if history is anything to go by. Doesn't mean he'll start, but at least it means if he backs Cam up the offense should still be robust enough to function well.

The way I see it...

they both have everything to prove and the coaching staff has nothing to lose by makig this seem like a competition, whether it is or not.

Anderson may not make it to opening day from what I've seen in other threads...so he's kinda out of hte discussion.

Based on the fact that Rivera publically came out and said that he would announce a week 1 starter before the Bengals game, it seems like a lot is riding on this Miami game for both QBs.

For me, the QB that converts the most 3rd downs should get the nod. With this defense and running game all we need is to control the clock and make a few throws downfield. We converted 2 of 13 3rd downs last week. That is still putrid and a holdover issue from last season.

If Jimmy can be the man on 3rd down, then I am fine with him being the starter. I just think Cam's mobility as a running threat is too valuable to keep on the bench on 3rd downs.

I still think Cam will be the week 1 starter.

The way I see it...

they both have everything to prove and the coaching staff has nothing to lose by makig this seem like a competition, whether it is or not.

Anderson may not make it to opening day from what I've seen in other threads...so he's kinda out of hte discussion.

Based on the fact that Rivera publically came out and said that he would announce a week 1 starter before the Bengals game, it seems like a lot is riding on this Miami game for both QBs.

For me, the QB that converts the most 3rd downs should get the nod. With this defense and running game all we need is to control the clock and make a few throws downfield. We converted 2 of 13 3rd downs last week. That is still putrid and a holdover issue from last season.

If Jimmy can be the man on 3rd down, then I am fine with him being the starter. I just think Cam's mobility as a running threat is too valuable to keep on the bench on 3rd downs.

I still think Cam will be the week 1 starter.

I say give it to the guy who moves the offense the best.....not just converting 3rd downs. I'd rather the guy w/ the most 1st downs get it (pending they have comparable # of drives).

He is a panther. As long as he is a panther I will pull for him as much as Newton or Beason. If he has respect in the locker room and in the huddle, he can have success guiding the team. I fear that members of his team do not respect his leadership or ability, but I don't really know that. They may love him and prefer him over Cam.

If Sutton runs for 2000 yards we would probably trade Williams or Stewart. Not likely though.

Jimmy Clausen in terms of NFL starting QBs just doesn't have the physical tools you look for......and he has never had the intangibles to help offset that. Neither one of those two things is magically going to change.

I disagree... If he didn't have tools to play in the NFL why was he drafted? I'm not saying he is the answer and not saying he isn't. I would not want to be in his position being booed and left for dead last year. Someone some where thought he was worth drafting. I think we all know Fox quit on us last year and didn't try very hard to coach/teach/improve. We dry humped the whole season and looked retarded doing it.

With the right system he could be a starter. Is that system here I don't know

I disagree... If he didn't have tools to play in the NFL why was he drafted? I'm not saying he is the answer and not saying he isn't. I would not want to be in his position being booed and left for dead last year. Someone some where thought he was worth drafting. I think we all know Fox quit on us last year and didn't try very hard to coach/teach/improve. We dry humped the whole season and looked retarded doing it.

With the right system he could be a starter. Is that system here I don't know

I said he didn't have the tools that teams claim they look for in their starting QB in today NFL. He doesn't.

all kinds of guys who don't fit the ideal mold for positions get drafted....they normally have intangibles and other things to make for it. Jimmy doesn't appear to have anything to offset his very average physical tools (by starting QB NFL standards).

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering what it would take for Clausen doubters/haters to give him another chance much less support for being a Panther. From what I've seen, the kid has made some huge strides from last year in a situation that is light years beyond the hell that everyone endured with the prior coaching regime.

That isn't to say that I am not skeptical myself, but all reports from camp and my own gametime observations from last week suggest that Clausen may actually turn the corner.

So, let's make it simple... what would be the criteria for you to give the kid another chance and be glad that he is a Panther?

Another good preseason outing or two?

4-1 TD to interception ratio?

90 or better QB passer rating over half a season's time?

A couple of last-minute game winning drives?

75% regular season win rate?

Playoff wins?

Fiz and CRA's collective blessings?

What would it take?

He'd have to put together at least one 100+ passer rating game in the regular season with no fumbles.

Archived