• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vick says, “You can’t design a defense to stop me”

LKuechly

Vick says, “You can’t design a defense to stop me”

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2011, 6:34 AM EDT

ReutersMike Vick apparently plans to earn every penny of his latest $100 million* contract.

Despite late-season evidence of regression and/or defenses figuring out Mike Vick 2.0 in 2010, Vick remains supremely confident in his abilities.

“I’ve been hearing that for years,” Vick recently told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “You can’t design a defense to stop me, especially not on this team. We have so many weapons, and some teams have tried to make that their primary focus. That’s when we run up the score.”

Coach Andy Reid agrees, explaining that Vick has worked on his struggles last year against the blitz.

“Now he’s got it,” Reid said. “People can say there’s a way to stop Michael Vick, but this is a team sport. You’ve got this beautiful mind of [offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's] and you’ve got to deal with what he’s gonna throw at you, and there are all these other players you have to defend. You can say you’re gonna stop Michael Vick, but you’ve got to stop the whole group.”

(Lions fans have passed out from laughter regarding the use of “beautiful mind” in reference to Mornhinweg.)

Of course, stopping the whole group becomes a little easier given the struggles of the five men responsible for opening holes and buying time for Vick. And so instead of talking big, Vick, Reid, and company would be better served finding a way to dial back those sky-high expectations while they focus on getting the job done, once and for all, in 2011.

I love how people try to spin his comment into something it isn't. It is pretty clear that Vick is saying you can't design a defense to stop him and not expect to get beaten because of it with the other offensive weapons on the team. He is basically saying defenses should base their scheme on stopping him because it will backfire.

Instead the title of this thread and the writer (from Yahoo I believe), makes it sound like Mike is saying no defense can stop him which is not at all what he was saying.

I'm in college, brah.

The Vick hate is just stupid. The guy made a mistake, people need to get off their high horse and stop judging him because God only knows the skeletons they have in their closet.

A mistake is forgetting your wallet at home...

The only skeletons in my closet are dead hookers.

Archived