• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our Defense will carry us this season.

Udogg

I refuse to believe that with a DC as a head coach, 2 Jim Johnson disciples, and our defensive coordinator from the previous 2 years on this squad that our defense will be the weak link. I and this 4th glass of crown and coke believe that our defense will dominate tomorrow. Anyone else who believes time to join the bandwagon early!!!!!! WHOOOO WHOOOO!!!

I'm not ready to get on the "they will carry us and be Jesus in defense form" bandwagon yet. I do think it's been clear for a long time that the D we saw in the preseason is not indicative of the way you'd expect this group of coaches to play though. I don't expect world beaters in our D because there are some weaknesses but I do expect a good unit and I do expect better play from the defense than the offense for a while.

meh

don't think it'll be TERRIBLE but if we end up ranked ahead of #20 in defense I'll be surprised.

Rivera is a smart dude and he does have a ridiculously stacked LB corps as well as a stud pass rusher. Unfortunately we have one of the worst group of DT's I've ever seen.

meh

don't think it'll be TERRIBLE but if we end up ranked ahead of #20 in defense I'll be surprised.

Rivera is a smart dude and he does have a ridiculously stacked LB corps as well as a stud pass rusher. Unfortunately we have one of the worst group of DT's I've ever seen.

We finished 18 last year with lame duck coaches and no offense. Hard to believe we can't at least match that.

And don't forget that we will probably beef up the D-line next week.

cb might look a bit weak on paper, but look at the Steelers and Ravens, two of the top defenses in the league... their corners aren't exactly household names. But they can rush the passer. Have to believe that Hardy and CJ can help our corners out with a solid pass rush off the edges. As for DT, I think we'll look to help after this first game. I think we'll be OK vs the Cards. Their offensive line isn't phenomenal by any means , Beanie Wells doesn't have me shaking in my booties either.

i read this in the observer

Beason believes the Panthers' defense can work out its problems. He blamed the defensive lapses on a lack of discipline in losses to Miami and Cincinnati after a strong showing in the exhibition opener against the New York Giants.

"It was just guys being where they're supposed to be and playing with an attitude" against the Giants, Beason said. "The last couple weeks guys have kind of freelanced a little bit and it cost us some big plays."

with beason back in the middle running the show, that freelancing won't be happening. they need his focus and leadership out there.

I like Rivera's response when asked about his vanilla D. (Laughs) "We showed what we wanted to show."

There's not way in hell this D will suck.

yeah that was interesting, that question kind of cracked Ron up a bit... Haven't seen that too much from him, gotta wonder what was going through his head at that point.

cb might look a bit weak on paper, but look at the Steelers and Ravens, two of the top defenses in the league... their corners aren't exactly household names. But they can rush the passer. Have to believe that Hardy and CJ can help our corners out with a solid pass rush off the edges. As for DT, I think we'll look to help after this first game. I think we'll be OK vs the Cards. Their offensive line isn't phenomenal by any means , Beanie Wells doesn't have me shaking in my booties either.
don't forget that we'll be doing a lot of blitzing. thats where the majority of the pass rush is going to come from.

I don't want the defense to have to carry the team. That's what was happening last year but it came to a breaking point. Last year we actually did have a playoff ready defense, at least for the first half of the season before they got worn out to hell. Our defense was very very good. But when your offense is atrocious it doesn't really matter. Both the offense and defense need to do great this year and get the job done if we're going to have any success at all.

Archived