• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers restructure Baker's contract

JakeFlake

The Panthers have restructured the contract of punter Jason Baker, his agent Frank Murtha said Friday.

Baker, who was scheduled to make $1.1 million this season, will now make $850,000. The rest of his deal, which runs through 2012, now includes $1.37 million in '01, $1.4 million in '11 and $1.55 in '12.

"(The Panthers) felt it was the right thing to do, so they moved a little money around," said Murtha.

The restructuring saves the Panthers money against this year's salary cap. They've already released cornerback Ken Lucas and are considering whether they should re-sign free agents such as long snapper Jason Kyle and returner Mark Jones. -- David Scott

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/03/panthers-restructure-bakers-contract.html

Draft picks sign in July. Lots of things will happen before then. We have $3 mil in cap space, which is more than what we'd need to sign a 2,3,4,5,6 grouping of picks.

Can we stop worrying about cap space for players we won't sign for five more months?

Draft picks sign in July. Lots of things will happen before then. We have $3 mil in cap space, which is more than what we'd need to sign a 2,3,4,5,6 grouping of picks.

Can we stop worrying about cap space for players we won't sign for five more months?

No? Unless we restructure more guys or cut more guys, $3 million is all we have for the draft and backups in FA come summertime.

Please let me know about all this "lots of things" you mention. I'm alllll ears. :lol:

No? Unless we restructure more guys or cut more guys, $3 million is all we have for the draft and backups in FA come summertime.

The team has to be under the cap right now - for the players that are on the roster for right now. Thinking about how we're going to sign free agents is rational - thinking about how we're going to pay for players who won't sign for five months isn't. The team isn't going to say "oh, sorry Jason Kyle, we have $3 million in cap room, but the draft hasn't happened yet and we have to pay that guy by the time camp comes around. Maybe next year."

Please let me know about all this "lots of things" you mention. I'm alllll ears. :lol:

I'm sure plenty of people were sitting here thinking we were going to keep Lucas, that we weren't going to extend or restructure half of who we have. We haven't touched Delhomme's contract, we haven't had any movement with Peppers.

Please tell me you didn't actually intend to say that this is exactly how the team will look in September.

My theory has been that Delhomme's restructure is being saved to make room for the draft picks when the time comes. It's being held back as a sort of "if we don't have it, we won't be tempted to spend it" type of measure.

The money that's available now could be used to sign guys like Kyle and Jones or (conceivably, in a 'hometown discount' scenario) someone like Torry Holt.

The team has to be under the cap right now - for the players that are on the roster for right now. Thinking about how we're going to sign free agents is rational - thinking about how we're going to pay for players who won't sign for five months isn't. The team isn't going to say "oh, sorry Jason Kyle, we have $3 million in cap room, but the draft hasn't happened yet and we have to pay that guy by the time camp comes around. Maybe next year."

I'm sure plenty of people were sitting here thinking we were going to keep Lucas, that we weren't going to extend or restructure half of who we have. We haven't touched Delhomme's contract, we haven't had any movement with Peppers.

Please tell me you didn't actually intend to say that this is exactly how the team will look in September.

Because I think Pep is staying. And as I mentioned, we may have to do more restructuring. OF COURSE it will all work out, they're business men. All I'm saying is that it's a piss poor situation right now and we shouldn't think about signing any FA. The reason we have done so many restructures thus far is because of Peppers. There is no guarantee we'll trade him unless Hurney gives up on his "two firsts" plan.

Don't lump me in the "sky is falling" camp. I'm in the "our financial state sucks" camp.

Don't lump me in the "sky is falling" camp. I'm in the "our financial state sucks" camp.
agreed. And it does look more likely that the team will keep Peppers this year.

Hurney's saying what he's allowed to say under the rules, of course. He can't solicit trades, he can only negotiate with Peppers - and that situation is unfortunately clear. It's a very unique situation we're in right now -I can't think of a franchise tag costing this much, ever.

At any rate, whether Peppers stays or not, whether we restructure anyone or cut anyone else, rookies sign in July and we don't have to cover that amount until that time. That's just not a concern right now. And given that the team has to prepare as if they keep Peppers, we're mostly covering depth and special teams in this market.

Archived