• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For a secondary that was doubted....

CPF4LIFE

U can easily say Skip is right considering the Panthers have had the least passing plays against them so far while giving up the most total yards per pass attempt. So no team gives up more yards per pass attempt than the Panthers currently, but don't let facts get in the way. Sorry for the buzzkill.

I understand your point...and it is a valid one.

My comment on the Panthers secondary is that they have had several mental errors that have lead to BIG plays. Yet, they have played very well and solid the majority of the time.

This is one where neither stat really tells the whole story.

They are not as good as the OP and his stat says....yet not as bad as JR's stat says.

Actually Skip is right. If you actually look at yards per attempt we are 32nd.

Yes it is because of big plays, but that is what people look at when judging pass defense. We are giving almost 10 yards a pass play (9.7) The next highest is New England at 9.0. Everyone else is in the 8s or less.

We have given up 11 plays of 20 yards or longer (22nd) and 4 plays of 40 yards or more (32).

We are not a good pass defense at all right now. We have also registered 5 sacks which puts us at 23rd on the list.

Those are the facts right now, instead of this wild speculation and guessing people do about where we are right now.

Actually Skip is right. If you actually look at yards per attempt we are 32nd.

Yes it is because of big plays, but that is what people look at when judging pass defense. We are giving almost 10 yards a pass play (9.7) The next highest is New England at 9.0. Everyone else is in the 8s or less.

We have given up 11 plays of 20 yards or longer (22nd) and 4 plays of 40 yards or more (32).

We are not a good pass defense at all right now. We have also registered 4 sacks which puts us at 23rd on the list.

Those are the facts right now, instead of this wild speculation and guessing people do about where we are right now.

Charles Johnson has 3 sacks and Hardy has 2.

I understand your point...and it is a valid one.

My comment on the Panthers secondary is that they have had several mental errors that have lead to BIG plays. Yet, they have played very well and solid the majority of the time.

This is one where neither stat really tells the whole story.

They are not as good as the OP and his stat says....yet not as bad as JR's stat says.

But they haven't been solid. We have given up 5 TDs (15th), had 1 Int which is tied for 27th. The opposing quarterback passer rating through 3 games is 110 (32nd). What exactly has been good or solid???

If we can't use facts to judge, then what?? Uninformed amateur opinion based on what I saw on the TV or at the stadium????

But they haven't been solid. We have given up 5 TDs (15th), had 1 Int which is tied for 27th. The opposing quarterback passer rating through 3 games is 110 (32nd). What exactly has been good or solid???

If we can't use facts to judge, then what?? Uninformed amateur opinion based on what I saw on the TV or at the stadium????

The only stat that matters when judging a defense is points allowed. Through the air they've allowed 5 TDs, which is good for 15th like you pointed out, therefore they are the 15th ranked pass defense in my book.

The only stat that matters when judging a defense is points allowed. Through the air they've allowed 5 TDs, which is good for 15th like you pointed out, therefore they are the 15th ranked pass defense in my book.

I agree that points surrendered is the best way to judge the defense as a whole and have said so. But it may not be the best when looking at passing or running individually. Because you can give up a bunch of long pass plays which they then run in for TDS. It may make it look as if the pass defense is good and the run defense is poor but it might not be totally true. I think that yards per attempt, and opposing passer rating are likely the best. And frankly based on that we are 32nd.

So we have given up a total of 8 TDs, tied for 19th.

U can easily say Skip is right considering the Panthers have had the least passing plays against them so far while giving up the most total yards per pass attempt. So no team gives up more yards per pass attempt than the Panthers currently, but don't let facts get in the way. Sorry for the buzzkill.
funny. noticed that the dream team's elite secondary is ranked 18th by that same metric.

Archived