• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cosell: Cats a mirage

Fireball77

The Panthers are predictable, but they have talent. Many teams can gameplan the Panthers successfully and move the ball up and down the field, but the players and the scheme have allowed them, for the most part, to pull some of the games out of their arses.

If the Panthers don't come up with a couple of key plays in a couple of games (I can think of the Rosario catch and the Godfrey interception just off the top of my head), the Panthers could easily be 7-5 or worse.

This doesn't bode well for the Panthers in the next four games or the playoffs (if they make the playoffs) UNLESS the coaching staff can fix the issues or come up with a new wrinkle that teams haven't seen yet. This staff HAS done that in the past - the last couple of games at the end of last year, for example - so it isn't as if they CAN'T do it. It's just that, to this point, they haven't done so.

The Panthers are predictable, but they have talent. Many teams can gameplan the Panthers successfully and move the ball up and down the field, but the players and the scheme have allowed them, for the most part, to pull some of the games out of their arses.

If the Panthers don't come up with a couple of key plays in a couple of games (I can think of the Rosario catch and the Godfrey interception just off the top of my head), the Panthers could easily be 7-5 or worse.

This doesn't bode well for the Panthers in the next four games or the playoffs (if they make the playoffs) UNLESS the coaching staff can fix the issues or come up with a new wrinkle that teams haven't seen yet. This staff HAS done that in the past - the last couple of games at the end of last year, for example - so it isn't as if they CAN'T do it. It's just that, to this point, they haven't done so.

This could be said about our 03 team, we had slumps and inconsistent play at times. And we barely got by in a ton of our games from some lucky or amazing plays. You can say what if all you want, but the fact is that we're 9-3. The Chargers have lost lots of games this year from a lucky play or a last second field goal, same with the Packers. But once again, the Packers are 5-7 and the Chargers are 4-8. Regardless, a wins a win, and if you know anything you know a John Fox coached team will step it up when it comes to playoff time.

As painful as it is, he's right on most points. Fortunately, we are in great shape record-wise and have time to improve. I do beleive it was the Giants who were in this situation about this time last year. We have the talent we just need to get firing on all cylinders.

Mostly spot on

But i question this statement

"Quote " Only 40 percent of their runs hit the mark. By way of example, almost 45 percent of the Giants’ runs produce 4+ yards. That’s a significant difference. "Quote "

How is almost 5 % more a significant difference ??

Would not 10 to 15 % more be a significant difference !

mostly spot on

but i question this statement

"quote " only 40 percent of their runs hit the mark. By way of example, almost 45 percent of the giants’ runs produce 4+ yards. That’s a significant difference. "quote "

how is almost 5 % more a significant difference ??

Would not 10 to 15 % more be a significant difference !

the mirage here is!!!!

Carolina had 5 1 yard carries last week!

Terrible for that stat!

But guess what, they were all from the 1 yard line!

Get it?

And the Panthers fall short in that crucial category. They are in the bottom third of the league. Only 40 percent of their runs hit the mark. By way of example, almost 45 percent of the Giants’ runs produce 4+ yards. That’s a significant difference.

bieng 5% behind the best OL in football is not that crucial.

And who says that is a crucial stat anyways?

More like meaningless to me.

I think this guy forgot what winning football is. Its not 3rd down %, 4+ yard run % or all those meaningless stats. Its having guys that will stand up and win games for you. Jake, Smitty, D Will, Beason and Harris have proven again and again they can make these type of plays this season. Combine these guys with ball control, limited turnovers and a stingy athletic playmaking defense and you have a recipe to win. This guy should be happy with his meaningless game film stats. And I will be happy with our team as is. :)

Regardless of what the stats and media says, the only thing that matters is whether you win or not at the end of the game. A win is a win is a win.

That being said, this team has shown in the past they can play at a higher level in the playoffs. It's been getting in that's been the problem.

it's a solid article, he's wrong about peppers and the LBs but he's right that the schemes and team play is inconsistent

I feel right now like our defensive pressure doesn't scare anyone at all and neither does the run game, sure we can take it to you if you let us, but good teams feel like they can stop easily it seems, when we get beat we get beat thoroughly, and we've gotten raped twice through the air

I feel kind of like we are the 13-3 ravens from a few years ago, until the team proves otherwise

the mirage here is!!!!

Carolina had 5 1 yard carries last week!

Terrible for that stat!

But guess what, they were all from the 1 yard line!

Get it?

Yeah. To me, that's a huge stat. In 06 and 07, the Panthers had about 6-7 rushing TD's for the whole season, and they had to run a couple of end arounds to the WR's to get that.

Very few of us on here watch as much football as

an NFL coach but we can call Panther plays with a 70% accuracy.

Play, Formation, Protection, & Snap Count. Thats a lot to get right to hit that 70% mark. This isn't Madden theres more to it than pushing the blue button. Or perhaps you think running a draw out the Power I and running a delay out of the shotgun are the same play because they're both runs up the middle.

Play, Formation, Protection, & Snap Count. Thats a lot to get right to hit that 70% mark. This isn't Madden theres more to it than pushing the blue button. Or perhaps you think running a draw out the Power I and running a delay out of the shotgun are the same play because they're both runs up the middle.

We are VERY predictable, only a fool would argue otherwise.

Archived