• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney (you knew this thread was coming)

Ricky Spanish

For all you Hurney Haters:

Let's look at Bill Polian (who has won NFL executive of the year six times) and at his first round picks since taking Dallas Clark in 03

05- Marlin Jackson

06- Addai

07- Anthony Gonzalez

09- Donald Brown

10- Jerry Hughes

But wait those players teh suck.....your damn right they do because EVERY GM whiffs sometimes. You wanna know what Polian nailed though, Manning. Manning is one of the sole reasons the Colts have been competitive, don't believe me. Look at this year.

Cam is our Manning. We have Smith, two promising young receivers, a hell of a tight end in Olsen. Two Pro-Bowl caliber players on our line, with two solid guards. Granted a young, inexperienced defense, which is missing its captain and leader Jon Beason. A freak of nature linebacker in Thomas Davis, and a solid veteran nose tackle in Ron Edwards.

Guess who had a hand in all the aforementioned? We're a young team on the rise, with an absolute stud at the most important position.

So while I'm not saying Hurney is guaranteed a free-pass for life. Let's let him have a couple years with our first franchise qb ever and a new coaching staff.

Also I'm fuging tired of the D-Will argument for so many reasons. This isn't fuging Madden its not like you say well we can sign Barry Coefield instead of D-Will. It doesn't happen like that, especially for a team coming off a 2-14 season and had (at the time) Pickles, and an unproven rookie in the franchise's hands.

Uh. Using Polian to make an argument that "GMs" get a pass for making no brainer moves, while simultaneously clusterfuging the rest of the team is kinda... (well, I'll be nice)... silly.

Edit & P.S.: I do not want a Colt's Franchise clone in this town. No thanks.

Hurney is a genius with the cap and most of his draft mistakes have come from players being injury plagued, not on the actual talent of the player. And yes he is too loyal to our own players but that's part of what's great about Carolina. That's part of why our players like it here. We protect our own and I like that aspect of our team. A lot of other teams are cold, cut, and dry and aren't successful either. I would pick him as my GM every time.

So you enjoy perennially missing the playoffs?

I like that he is loyal to his players, but he takes it a bit too far. you want to know why the steelers and the patriots are always in playoffs and always contending? they draft well, sign the right guys, and let the right ones go when it's time to let them go.

My biggest beef with hurney thus far, is that yes he did some nice things a few years ago, so did john fox. The teams that Hurney has put together over the past 5 years have been underwhelming. the decisions he's made, the trades he's made, the backing himself into a hole to try and get the team under the cap, he has not been a good GM the past few years in my opinion. I personally feel like we need a new GM, just like we needed a new HC this past year.

Truth is, we have never had a back to back winning seasons with the teams that hurney has assembled, and we haven't been relevant in the league 4 of the past 5 years. I think it's time we say good bye.

Hurney is a genius with the cap and most of his draft mistakes have come from players being injury plagued, not on the actual talent of the player. And yes he is too loyal to our own players but that's part of what's great about Carolina. That's part of why our players like it here. We protect our own and I like that aspect of our team. A lot of other teams are cold, cut, and dry and aren't successful either. I would pick him as my GM every time.

The New England Patriots will see your argument about being cold, cut, and dry, and raise you 3 Super Bowls, and over a decade of playoffs and winning seasons.

Where is all this "hurney is a cap genius" crap coming from. We have one of the weakest rosters in the league and already have the most amount of money locked up toward the 2012 and 2013 seasons than anyone. This team you see now is going to be the same team next year plus 6 draft picks.

Every issue the team has had, Hurney has tried to address in some form or another. You also have to remember that before this past season JR was up tight about character and that probably kept us from signing guys that could have really improved the team.

Under Fox we had nothing but garbage and some players with potential at TE for 8 years. New coach and bam we have the best TE combo in Football.

Continually drafting known injury prone players (Stewart, Otah, Hogan)

Obviously you're right about Otah, but Johnathan Stewart has missed like 2 games his whole career (last year due to a concussion, which the league is trying to crack down on) and Brandon Hogan was drafted in the 4th round with the expectation that he wouldn't contribute right away.

Archived