• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney (you knew this thread was coming)

Ricky Spanish

This isn't a bitch about hurney thread so much as it is an analysis of his recent moves as a GM. with the recent news about otah, and many questioning Hurney's ability to evaluate talent, I would like to create a list of good decisions and bad decisions that he has made as our GM over the years. This isn't a strictly poo on hurney thread, I really am interested in reviewing his performance over the years and how well he has or hasn't done.

Let's try and keep this a civil discussion people. too many times on this site people grow a big e-peen and try and swing it around and act all badass trying to sound smarter than everyone else. I get it, you are infallible in your logic, and you are smarter than everyone else, we get it, just calmly explain your point of view. this is a DISCUSSION board people, so let's discuss. no need for name calling or overall dickitry.

So please, let's discuss the good and the bad of hurney. I'll start off with a few and you guys add your own thoughts as to where you think they should go:

The Good:

1. Jon Beason and the trade orchestrated to do it all. ended up with 2 pro bowlers because of it.(1st rounder 2007 draft)
  2. Stewie (1st, 2008 draft)
  3. Kalil (2nd round the other end of the 07 draft day trade)
  4. Newton(1st 2011)
  5. Trading for Greg Olsen(for a 3rd rounder)
  6. Signing Shockey this past season
  7. Hardy (6th 2010)
  8. Charles Johnson(3rd 2007)
  9. James Anderson
  10. Jordan Gross
  11. Gamble
  12. Deangelo

The Bad

1. Clausen (2nd 2010)
  2. Armanti Edwards Trade (not the pick itself, just what he gave up to make it 3rd 2010, gave up 2011 2nd rounder)
  3. Jarrett (2nd, 2007)
  4. The Peppers fiasco... (Franchising him and not getting compensation in his departure)
  5. ... Which lead to the Delhomme fiasco (giving him too much money in order to work around franchising peppers. Bottom line is Hurney handled the whole Peppers thing incredibly poorly.)
  6. Everette Brown (2nd, 2009)
  7. What we gave up to get Everette Brown
  8. Corvey Irvin (3rd)
  9. Otah specifically that we traded to get him and he has never been healthy (**Debate if you agree or disagree**)
  10. Failing to EVER find a #2 receiver to complement Smitty

So what do you have and where should I put it?

Also to note for failures:

- Ken Lucas signing

- Kris Jenkins trade (he was DPoY his first year in NY)

Let's try and keep it from 07 forward, the ken lucas signing doesn't really have any affect to our team recently.

And I will debate the kris jenkins trade. That might just be a push. yeah he was DPOY in NY, but he didn't want to play for us anymore, so it's not like we had a choice. at least we actually got something for him, unlike peppers.

- Ken Lucas signing

Because it was Hurney's fault Jenkins didn't want to play here...

Anyways, not fair to use Otah as a failure. The guy was obviously talented, injuries just brought him down. Same can be said for Davis. If you want to argue it was a fail because he didn't think to find a replacement in the past 2 years when his injuries really started piling up, that's a fair argument.

- Ken Lucas signing

Ken Lucas was an excellent signing, he just declined as he aged

Jenkins wanted out, just like Peppers. Since when do we blame the GM for a players desire for a change of scenery?

Archived