• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Delhomme here to stay

Mr. Scot

I don't think The Panthers will ever win a SB with Jake as thier QB. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Jake played well enough to win the Super Bowl when he got the chance. It's not his fault that the Panthers defense couldn't stop the Patriots once he got them a lead.

I know, I know, the last game is the only one that matters, and it cancels out everything that came before, right? I guess we will see this season, but I just don't believe that Jake forgot how to play. And back then, Steve Smith wasn't even the #1WR, so nobody can say he carried Jake in 03.

Jake played well enough to win the Super Bowl when he got the chance. It's not his fault that the Panthers defense couldn't stop the Patriots once he got them a lead.

I know, I know, the last game is the only one that matters, and it cancels out everything that came before, right? I guess we will see this season, but I just don't believe that Jake forgot how to play. And back then, Steve Smith wasn't even the #1WR, so nobody can say he carried Jake in 03.

Jake is over the hill.

Not to mention the whole league knows his tendencies now, Super Bowl year he was basically a unknown coming out of no where. That could be blamed half on him and half on coaching though, but it's still a fact.

Yea it's just like what people here were saying about Ryan.

"Just wait till they get film on him etc, etc"

Well guess what, the film has been out on Jake for awhile now, and he gets ate up by defenses.

Not to mention the whole league knows his tendencies now, Super Bowl year he was basically a unknown coming out of no where. That could be blamed half on him and half on coaching though, but it's still a fact.

That's a pretty naive statement. In that light then any player who is a starter for several years in the same system will see slowly declining numbers...Unfortunately it don't work like that.

I think the main problem with his play is that his style opens himself up to these kind of games. Look at Favre. He had some attrocious games and some pretty poor seasons. By design the two are from the same mould.

It is nothing to do with the league knowing his 'tendencies', it is purely a guy who was recovering from being out for a year or so, trying to get back into rythm. Problem is that his style was suspect in the first place, thus I would have been downright shocked if he played a season without any poor games. Look at Roethlisberger the year he had his motorcycle crash. Injuries take a while to get over physically AND mentally, so I would expect to see him return this season in better physical form. As I stated before though, I am worried that his mental state has been adversly effected.

Do you really believe that the Patriots didn't already know his tendencies after he had played a whole season and 3 play off games to get to that Super Bowl?

Do you really believe that the Patriots didn't already know his tendencies after he had played a whole season and 3 play off games to get to that Super Bowl?

Exactly, you could tell from the start that he was a gunslinger. They sometimes have bad games. They think they can make any throw and will try to make any throw regardless of the last throw. Hence why they sometimes tend to have spiraling bad games when they throw for a pick or two early then the game just spirals out of hand.

They say that the year after Tommy John surgery, baseball pitchers have days where they just can't get it done. So I think that with the combination of age, the surgery, and spending all but about 2 weeks of the off-season working out and rehabbing, that it might have caught up with Jake Delhomme a little bit at times. That doesn't neccessarily mean that the guy is over the hill though.

Time will tell, of course, but I don't think it's impossible at all for Jake to come back and have a good season in 09.

back to his writing for a sec:

That means no Jay Cutler, no Derek Anderson, no Byron Leftwich, no Brett Favre, no Vinny Testaverde and likely no Pat White. Take another deep breath. Try to accept it. It's hard, I know.

The first two make sense as to why he would list them, even a case could be made for Byron, maybe, but the last 3? Gee, I'd sure like to see the emails he got from people who suggested those guys.

Otherwise if it's all bullshit and Gantt was just throwing those names out like a coked-up stool pigeon his credibility rating should go straight down the shitter.

back to his writing for a sec:

The first two make sense as to why he would list them, even a case could be made for Byron, maybe, but the last 3? Gee, I'd sure like to see the emails he got from people who suggested those guys.

Otherwise if it's all bullpoo and Gantt was just throwing those names out like a coked-up stool pigeon his credibility rating should go straight down the pooter.

If you seriously think those are plucked from thin air then you are also a touch naive.

Firstly Vinny came to us not long ago in a rescue mission. He wrote his name as an indicator that if Jake goes down or bombs, we will be looking from our own roster.

Secondly Pat White was written because everyone made such a big thing about the scouting department going to see his pro day. He is using Pat Whites name to indicate that we will not be picking up a high profile QB in the draft.

Lastly Farve was more of a joke. The way I read it, it was if Farve came out of retirement (again) then Panthers fans would go nuts over him.

This was not 'sloppy' journalism. This was a blog. A blog about the Panthers looking to extend Delhomme, the starting QB of the Panthers, which the FO had already stated would be starting next season. Why oh why would we now come out and say it is for salary cap reasons? That will just completely unsettle the roster and cause problems with individuals.

Why are most hating on Gantt? Before this BLOG everyone worshipped him, yet just because he wrote the reasons why the PANTHERS are extending Delhommes contract. This blog was not his fanciful opinions. This blog was about what indications he had picked up from the Panthers organisation.

He is not 'jock-sniffing' the Panthers. He is blogging what he has learnt. There is far too much anger in this forum at the moment. We won 12 games with this guy at the helm. We have new coaches and new players due to arrive via the draft. I just do not see how anyone can harbor so much anger at a reporter...?

1) Patriot had tape on everyone anyway, that game doesn't count, LOL.

2) Comparing Delhomme to FAVRE is nuts.

3) Tommy John for pitchers is completely different than football. They throw more, throw harder, and through 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. Comparing that is completely different.

4) Yes, the get tape on all QB's after a year, however, those QB's that are good learn to change things. Jake doesn't. This, like I said, could be bad coaching also, so not all Jake's fault.

Jake will be our QB, I'm sure, but I hope this new QB coach can change some things with him and fix some things. We all want a franchise QB, and in wanting that we're not giving up on our team, we're just being fans. Come first game of the season I'll be hoping Jake plays great as much as the next guy.

Archived