• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Run game

doghead28

when you're down by 2 TDs in the first couple minutes of the game, you don't run the ball...at least very often. the team in control gets the luxury of running the ball. we never had control and you don't get control back by running it.

we didn't run much because it didn't make sense to.

the rest of the season....the number of carries isn't something i'm all that concerned with.

someone carrying the ball 20 times per game? not going to happen. between williams, stewart, and newton....yeah, 20+ carries is reasonable, but no one is going to be coming near to that themselves, nor should they.

It would be nice to run run run (we know we can), but this year is about getting Cam as much experience as possible.
i don't care if we ever turn back to a "run run run" team.

i like to be able to run when we want, but i'm more interested in a team that can get down the field and onto the scoreboard quickly and frequently.

you stand a much better chance of winning that way rather than running the ball to control the clock.

control the tempo of the game by making the other teams offense keep up and force them to be one dimensional.

control the scoreboard, not the clock.

when you're down by 2 TDs in the first couple minutes of the game, you don't run the ball...at least very often. the team in control gets the luxury of running the ball. we never had control and you don't get control back by running it.

You should. Letting that dictate your game plan with nearly an entire game ahead of you is what gets you beat.

You should. Letting that dictate your game plan with nearly an entire game ahead of you is what gets you beat.
thanks, fox. i disagree completely.

getting 14 points put on the board that quickly gets you beat. deciding to go in and stick with your original game plan regardless of the spanking your just got is what is going to keep you beat.

if you can't/won't adjust to a changing game then you are useless. you have no choice but to play catchup if you have any hope of winning. you lose the ability to dictate anything when put in that situation.

when you are down by a couple scores, you do what is going to get you down the field quickest to increase your chances of scoring. the more time you waste trying to show that you can still run the ball is going to keep you from catching up and getting ahead.

thanks, fox. i disagree completely.

getting 14 points put on the board that quickly gets you beat. deciding to go in and stick with your original game plan regardless of the spanking your just got is what is going to keep you beat.

if you can't/won't adjust to a changing game then you are useless. you have no choice but to play catchup if you have any hope of winning. you lose the ability to dictate anything when put in that situation.

when you are down by a couple scores, you do what is going to get you down the field quickest to increase your chances of scoring. the more time you waste trying to show that you can still run the ball is going to keep you from catching up and getting ahead.

Yes, because going one dimensional worked out so well and wanting to have a run game clearly means coaching just like John Fox.

you are forced to be one dimensional when you are put in that situation.

that's why it's important for your special teams and defense to not suck, esp. early n the game. you put the offense in a situation that they are forced to try and get the ball down quickly. you don't have the luxury of running the ball because it eats up too much clock.

if you want to control the game, you take control early. if you want to regain control of the game later, then you have to get down the field as quickly as possible and score as often as possible. you can't do that with a heavy dose of running.

not sure why thats so hard to understand. when you get abused early by the other team, you forfeit control of the game.

I feel like we need to establish the run. I by no means want to return to Fox offense but i do feel we need to give Stewart or Williams 20 carries a game and get them in a rhythm. It would help Cam. I feel like we are becoming one dimensional again.
Rivera already admitted to doing whatever it takes to develop Cam. The balance will come with time.

Archived