• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Between the lines with Steve Smith

vorbis

I was just talking about this in the other thread. This dude is a pro. He understands the strategy of his position. And adds his own little touch to the entire thing. That's what makes him freaking elite. This is what makes this guy one of the best receivers in the NFL. He may be a "thug" but when it comes to knowing the chess part of his role, he is very smart.

He's an expert and a thinker. Steve Smith has awesome football logic, skill, athletic ability, and the heart and attitude to put it all over the top. The man is a monster. He can take a rookie QB and make him look like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And the sad part it, people still wanna tell me it's Cam Newton that makes this dude look good. That's what Newton needs to learn. How to be strategic at his position. Smith can't even get credit from his own Panthers fans. I can't wait to see Cam Newton describe his role like Smith just did in his press conferences. I hope the day comes in the near future, sooner than later.

This is typical of a lot of athletes who have been in the game for years. Their understanding of the nuances of the game is excellent. The problem is that for many guys who reach 10, 11 years the wear and tear on their bodies has taken their toll. The lucky ones are the guys who really understand the game and can still play at a high level. The reason that Rice set his record as late in his career as he did was because he could maintain his physical ability as his understanding of the game increased coupled with new rules favoring the receiver.

As long as Smith stays motivated and healthy, he can continue to be a force for a few more years.

Archived