• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

re: former panther OG evan mathis...

rayzor

i'd keep otah around for depth next year. he's cheap. if his head isn't in the game and someone else can be more reliable then we let him go, but he's got to much talent to just cut outright.

we do need to move forward as if he won't be around, though. same with TD. both guys should be kept (and restructured where necessary) as depth because of their talent, but we do need to replace them as starters.

imo, bell just isn't going to cut it.

There were two linemen who regularly beat everyone else in post practice sprints....Julius Peppers and Evan Mathis. He had all the tools....just couldn't do what the coaches wanted him to do, I guess.

As I recall, we had Mike Maser as our line coach when he was here. Maser was said to have been pretty rough on Mathis. His overall results as an OL coach weren't so hot.

I wouldn't mind having Mathis back. Wouldn't expect it though.

As I recall, we had Mike Maser as our line coach when he was here. Maser was said to have been pretty rough on Mathis. His overall results as an OL coach weren't so hot.

I wouldn't mind having Mathis back. Wouldn't expect it though.

Mike Wahle called him Ogre. He was not an ogreachiever, though.

Happy memories... :)

Mathis was drafted in 2005, and was our starting guard in 2006. The line that year was Gross/Wahle/Hangartner/Mathis/Bridges. Wharton was injured, back then he was our left tackle. Justin Hartwig was supposed to be our center, but he was injured too. In 2007, they both came back and Bridges move to Guard, putting Mathis back on the bench.

According to FootballOutsiders.com, the 2006 line was 24th in run blocking, and 16th in pass protection. However, in runs inside the tackle to the right side, they were 8th in the league. So maybe he showed promise, but not enough to beat out Bridges in 2007 and ultimately not enough to stick in 2008 (released in final cuts). He was signed and cut by the Dolphins in 2008 too.

Some people just take longer than others to develop, huh?

It may be worth mentioning, in 2007 we switched offensive coordinators, and offensive systems. Davidson came in looking to do more zone blocking and power running, and his scheme did not have the same emphasis on pass protection as Henning's did. That could have made a difference in why Mathis was demoted and then cut.

Archived