• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you do?

lightsout

Our next game is Tuesday vs the Leafs. That means you have 3 practices and a morning skate to work with. You're Kirk Muller. What do you rep?

If it were me:

- Power play. These units have been inconsistent. Better puck movement. Better passes. Better awareness on receiving passes/one-timers.

-Even strength, set up offense. We need to set things up. IDK what we're doing on offense besides cycling the puck and taking bad shots.

-Entering the zone. Several times tonight, we made BAD passes (one where a defender was ALREADY on the ice for a solid 2 seconds prior to the pass) that end up in turnovers.

-Body checks. A lot of slashes, a lot of stick checks, not enough body in open ice. We're physical as hell along the boards, not nearly physical enough in open ice.

-Goal-tending. We have to have at least one day of full on scrimmage against Cam. We have to get good shots. Tell the defense on Cam's end to let some shots through. Make him make the great saves. We all know he has the ability, as he has done it before. I feel like since he has been regarded as one of the best goalies in the game, he became complacent. 5 years ago, he was playing like he had something to prove. Now, he is just going through the motions.

-Defense. 18 shots in the first period against the Jets tonight. Unacceptable. We got out-shot, and part of that goes on the offense, but they got like 30 shots in 2 periods. Most goalies see that in an entire game. Too undisciplined in our own zone. We have the talent defensively, and it shows up from time to time throughout games. However, some of the shots we're allowing, particularly from the slot and along the crease in general, are unacceptable on our d-men and the low forward (usually Staal and Ruutu. Sutter usually does good).

That's just me. What would you do?

• 3 weeks later...

We need to look to the future and cut bait on this season. With Skinner, Pitkanen, and Boucher out and the coaching change made, there is not much chance of working with the original 2011 game plan. Trade UFA's and veterans who don't fit the new system (because the system is worth keeping and dead weight isn't) for one major player for Staal's wing, maybe another fast & aggressive forward (if needed to stay above salary cap-minimum) and a pile of draft picks. Bring up the Checkers/top prospects on the farm to fill holes and test their ability in the NHL. If they lose, our picks become that much better and more valuable. If they win, it's just good chemistry for their up coming seasons together.

One thing must happen, we MUST bring in a top line forward to help Staal. Period. You can't expect Dwyer, LaRose, Tlusty & their type to score on a consistent basis. We have the worst top line of any team in the league. That needs to change.

We need to dump salary, garner picks, and Fail for Nail.

I agree completely. This bs points streak they are on recently is quite annoying. As long as we get Nail or Grigorenko I will be happy. I will even take Forsberg. Problem is if we win too many bs games we will end up out of the top 3 and be smack in the middle of the biggest defensive draft in recent history. For once we actually have a lot of young promising defenders. We need wingers are we are hurting the most at right wing....insert Yakupov!!!!

Trade Cam Ward and get a couple of good forwards and defensemen.

I might be fine with this in a couple years. We would totally tank for a couple years if we did this. Ward has been great this year considering the hand he has been dealt. We have one he'll of a prospect in Frederik Anderson who is looking very promising so in a couple years we might be able to move Ward. Read article on him at link below. As of right now I don't trust any other goalie in the organization night in and night out.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13495/frederik_andersen_taking_sel_by_storm/

Ward been great? Give me a freaking break. He hasn't been great at all this season and is a liability. He is overrated and Im sick of his defenders.

Ward has been standing on his head all season. He is second in the NHL in total saves. In case you aren't aware that's not good. He is facing way to many shots. Yes we are losing alot but he is the only reason we are losing by 1-2 goals and not 7. If you are going to comment at least provide some facts as opposed to generalized comments about Ward sucking. If he is such a liability how would we get a "couple good forwards and a defenseman" as you propose?

Once we trade Ward as you propose who are you gonna start? Boucher? He is 0-4-1. No thanks! Peters? He is 0-1-0 and he would crap his pants. He isn't good enough to ever be a No. 1.

I understand your frustration with the season so far, espeically since we barely missednth playoffs last year, but please know your stuff before saying we should do something drastic like trading Ward. Especially when you supply ZERO evidence/facts/stats

Ward has been standing on his head all season. He is second in the NHL in total saves. In case you aren't aware that's not good. He is facing way to many shots. Yes we are losing alot but he is the only reason we are losing by 1-2 goals and not 7. If you are going to comment at least provide some facts as opposed to generalized comments about Ward sucking. If he is such a liability how would we get a "couple good forwards and a defenseman" as you propose?

Once we trade Ward as you propose who are you gonna start? Boucher? He is 0-4-1. No thanks! Peters? He is 0-1-0 and he would crap his pants. He isn't good enough to ever be a No. 1.

I understand your frustration with the season so far, espeically since we barely missednth playoffs last year, but please know your stuff before saying we should do something drastic like trading Ward. Especially when you supply ZERO evidence/facts/stats

Sorry dont see how a "great" goalie gets benched 2 games in a row and continues letting in easy goals. Did you happen to see the last game? He's having his highest goals against average in his career as a starter with 3.24. Have you been watching them the whole season? I want to trade him for someone who is solid, consistent, and doesn't breaks down after a couple goals get let in. With his value we could get someone like that and then some. A so called "upper tier" goalie isnt what a team needs to be successful. The Blackhawks 2 seasons ago didnt have one when they won the Cup. The Lightening don't have one either. Neither does Philly. As long as the team has good forwards and defensemen, they just need a solid and consistent goalie to contend.

Sorry dont see how a "great" goalie gets benched 2 games in a row and continues letting in easy goals. Did you happen to see the last game? He's having his highest goals against average in his career as a starter with 3.24. Have you been watching them the whole season? I want to trade him for someone who is solid, consistent, and doesn't breaks down after a couple goals get let in. With his value we could get someone like that and then some. A so called "upper tier" goalie isnt what a team needs to be successful. The Blackhawks 2 seasons ago didnt have one when they won the Cup. The Lightening don't have one either. Neither does Philly. As long as the team has good forwards and defensemen, they just need a solid and consistent goalie to contend.

You did not give a viable option as to what we dif in goal if we were to trade Ward as you suggest...according to your trade proposal we are to pick up "a couple of good forwards and a defenseman"....

You can also be as sarcastic as you want to. I don't care if Hasek or Roy in their prime is in goal. If your goalie is second in the NHL in shots faced your not going to have a good record. The fact that you even bring up his GAA and ignore shots faced is almost comical. You are fishing for stats to prove how you "feel". You probably know more about football than you do hockey so I will give an example of who you are acting like. A good example of someone who runs an organization on how they "feel".....Dan Snyder...

Archived