• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFLN Proclaims Newton The Greatest Rookie Ever

bauss

Really? The bar has been set for Luck now. The football world will be questioning him if he can't produce to the level of what Cam has this year. The implications of Luck not following up with an encore of Cam's season will definitely be the story next year.

A few message board commandos and some media with nothing else to do might. The football world however will not spend much time thinking about Cam's rookie record next year.

A few message board commandos and some media with nothing else to do might. The football world however will not spend much time thinking about Cam's rookie record next year.

Maybe not in a year without a prospect hyped like Luck. However, it will be referenced a lot next year in context with Luck. Luck will be expected to duplicate Cam's success. If you can't see that you're dumb.

Maybe not in a year without a prospect hyped like Luck. However, it will be referenced a lot next year in context with Luck. Luck will be expected to duplicate Cam's success.

I think you are confusing message boards with real football discussion. Doubt it gets referenced much, unless Luck starts getting close to the record. We don't even know for certain that Luck will be starting from day one. Or if he is starting, he might come out and throw 6 or 7 interceptions in his first two games and get yanked. He could get injured in preseason and miss the first three or four games of the regular season. If he goes to Indy, he will likely not even get to play next year. Or he could go to a team that prefers to run the ball more. Any number of things could happen next year.

Just saw this literally seconds ago. I'll keep an eye out for the video and update the OP when there's more to share.

I'll say this. He definitely has set the bar for all other QB's who follow him. Luck sure waited to the worst possible time to enter the NFL.

*Found the video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8256a251/Cam-Newton-the-best-rookie-ever

Not really. Knowing how the psychology works with these sports guys, the slightest little accomplishment Luck achieves will be compared to Peyton Manning...Forget Cam.

As long as Cam keeps doing what he is doing, I am happy. He's got his head on straight & it truely doesn't matter what the pundits say...except to win ROY.

I'm glad he has a good group around him that instead of pumping him with how amazing he is, they would punk him if he hadn't made the TD run! :-) I loved that comment at his post-game press conference.

CFam's the man no matter who says it or not. Most of these guys on NFLN, ESPN, etc. are just a lot of hot air.

Why? You assume he won't be able to handle the compliment?

This assumes Luck plays next year.

I have no doubts that Luck will play next year. Even if that means pushing Peyton out of Indianapolis. I firmly believe that Luck and Peyton will not coexist on the same team assuming that the Colts grab the number one overall pick next year. If not there will be teams trading away the franchise to grab it from the Rams.

Anyways, you would have to be ignorant to believe that Luck won't be compared to Cam next year.

Really? The bar has been set for Luck now. The football world will be questioning him if he can't produce to the level of what Cam has this year. The implications of Luck not following up with an encore of Cam's season will definitely be the story next year.

I guess you didn't get the memo...Luck is the "best" rookie QB to come out of college in a very long time. He doesn't have to prove himself like Cam had too. So he's not on Cam's level.

He's already on the level of such QBs as Tom Brady and Drew Brees. As a matter of fact, maybe he might be better than them because they had to accomplish what they have accomplished before their names were even mentioned in the same breathe as the HOF.

And I'm being a bit sarcastic and serious based on how the media have portrayed Luck.

I have no doubts that Luck will play next year. Even if that means pushing Peyton out of Indianapolis. I firmly believe that Luck and Peyton will not coexist on the same team assuming that the Colts grab the number one overall pick next year. If not there will be teams trading away the franchise to grab it from the Rams.

Big difference between saying he will be compared to Cam (if he is good, he will be compared to a lot of quarterbacks), and saying he will be questioned if he doesn't perform at the same level Cam has this year.

Fwiw, I don't see Indy pushing out a Hall of Fame quarterback for an untested rookie. The rookie salary cap means they will not have to pay Luck an arm and a leg to sign him, so they can afford both of them. They will play with Peyton next year, and maybe try to learn if Luck is as good as advertised. If they feel he is as good as advertised, then maybe 2012 might be Manning's last year as a Colt.

Archived