• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Two things about Jerry Richardson

TheOracle

He believes he is building a winner...thus the " he’ll be the last quarterback we ever draft high in my lifetime,” quote....... not that he expects to die before Cam's carer is over. That is my take.

That was a joke. I understood what he meant, lol. He expects to win for a long time with Cam as the QB. Also, after the winning culture consumes the franchise, any other QBs they draft or trade for to take over after Cam, naturally wouldn't be drafted as high.

Still, Richardson's up there in age, has survived a heart transplant, probably has gained some internal peace after Cam's play this season...he's saying what older folks say about understanding that they probably have less years ahead of them than behind. I'm sure he said that with a smirk on his face.

I'm sure most will "love it", also, because it's that whole "these guys are gladiators...you want tough guys out there" mindset surrounding football.

Like I said, because Cam likes to walk things off, go stand off to himself and try to recollect himself, I'm just saying, it'd probably be harder to find out if something was wrong with him than it is for the average player.

I don't think getting tended to by your training staff (FREE HEALTH CARE by the way) and "complaining" should be grouped together in the same thought.

I have to laugh every time I look at your avi because sometimes your attitude seems to match Terrel Davis's facial expression. :D

When his shoulder was sore, he got it checked out. They limited his reps etc.. This is a non issue I think. Also, every pro football player has to shake and play thru minor injuries.

Did he TELL THEM it was sore, or did they infer that it was sore because he couldn't do what he could normally do? An injury being looked at doesn't disprove anything if they have to conclude that he MUST BE INJURED instead of him going to see someone because he knows that he is.

Get it? :leaving:

Gotta agree I don't know what the Connection is between TO and the Panthers, but your posts seem to reflect attitude that everything is not as good as it seems.

My attitude doesn't "reflect anything" other than possibilities and observed patterns. Cam Newton is clearly the kind of guy who internalizes a lot, and like Richardson suggested, probably the athlete who feels like getting injured is a sign of weakness and telling someone about it would be "complaining".

I'm aware that many "athletes" who are perceived as "indestructible" by fans probably feel that way. Still, Cam is going up against guys just as big and fast as he is, who have built their bodies to be able to inflict damage on other guys just as big and fast as they are.

As an athlete, his physical ability is how he makes a living. It's not "weak" if you inform people about an injury, and it's certainly not complaining. You're responsible to the other guys on the team to be "able to" give it 100% and you can't do that if you're injured and not telling someone. Playing through pain sounds noble, but it isn't if no one knows you're in pain. You could make the injury worse.

That's all I'm saying.

Guys like Jeff Otah are at the other end of the spectrum. Guys like Cam probably feel like guys who are always in the training room are wimps. Some may be. Others are just smart enough to take advantage of a job benefit.

there's nothing to worry about. maybe he IS indestructible, maybe he hasn't been getting hurt, maybe JR is a senile 80 year old man and is mistaken.

regardless, cam newton is not RETARDED. minor aches and pains CAN BE IGNORED WITH NO THREAT OF FURTHER INJURY. you really think if cam had a major injury he would be to arrogant/selfish/stupid/whatever to not seek help from the training staff?

cmon, man

Did he TELL THEM it was sore, or did they infer that it was sore because he couldn't do what he could normally do? An injury being looked at doesn't disprove anything if they have to conclude that he MUST BE INJURED instead of him going to see someone because he knows that he is.

Get it? :leaving:

I think you are reading too much into what JR was saying. I don't think from this alone we can conclude that Cam hides injuries until the coaches realize it because he can't function.

I think JR was implying he was a tough guy that plays through things despite throwing his body around. I think he was trying to pay him a compliment, and it came out sounding like he might be suggesting he is playing injured, which I don't think was his intent.

1. Newton will most certainly be our last QB in JRs lifetime. Some people talk about JR around here as if he is going to last forever. His era is coming to an end. The average life after a heart transplant I believe is around a decade (not 100%). If he lives out the majoirty of Newton's career he will live longer than the average person. This organization is going to change over to someone else soon and hopefully someone good.

2. I can see where your coming from. A compliment should not be that someone isn't acting hurt. There is nothing wrong with acting hurt. Some guys want to play through the pain though, they want it bad enough for themselves, and that is something to admire.

My attitude doesn't "reflect anything" other than possibilities and observed patterns. Cam Newton is clearly the kind of guy who internalizes a lot, and like Richardson suggested, probably the athlete who feels like getting injured is a sign of weakness and telling someone about it would be "complaining".

I'm aware that many "athletes" who are perceived as "indestructible" by fans probably feel that way. Still, Cam is going up against guys just as big and fast as he is, who have built their bodies to be able to inflict damage on other guys just as big and fast as they are.

As an athlete, his physical ability is how he makes a living. It's not "weak" if you inform people about an injury, and it's certainly not complaining. You're responsible to the other guys on the team to be "able to" give it 100% and you can't do that if you're injured and not telling someone. Playing through pain sounds noble, but it isn't if no one knows you're in pain. You could make the injury worse.

That's all I'm saying.

Guys like Jeff Otah are at the other end of the spectrum. Guys like Cam probably feel like guys who are always in the training room are wimps. Some may be. Others are just smart enough to take advantage of a job benefit.

Except we don't know if Cam has ever been injured to the extent that would cause him to be on a legitimate injury report (except the Tenn weekend, MRI and poor performance). As far as Otah goes, you are saying he is either a wimp, or is taking advantage of a job benefit....OK....nice pronouncement and easy for pissed off fans to get behind....but I have no idea about his health or what he has played through. I'll let the coaches decide his status and if/when he's back on the 2012 roster, and I'll be fine with it....

1. Says last QB to draft high - guessing he means Cam was the exception to the rule of drafting QBs that high.

2. Hes saying Cam is not getting hurt where the average player would. He saying hes an exceptional athelete.

That's my comprehension of his comments.

Archived