• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Two things about Jerry Richardson

TheOracle

1. He expects to die before Cam Newton's career in Carolina is over, apparently, and

2. He confirms here one of my problems with Cam Newton's "tough guy", internalize everything personality. I've said this before. If Cam Newton ever got a concussion, there's a good chance no one would ever know unless he completely looked out of it in the huddle or fell out on the field.

Jerry Richardson:

As far as I’m concerned, he’ll be the last quarterback we ever draft high in my lifetime,” Richardson told Peter King last week. “He is a very unusual young man, and I say that in a highly complimentary way.”

Richardson had Newton visit him at his home prior to the draft, asking the young QB direct questions about his ability to lead a franchise. The owner had a hunch Newton could pull it off, and it appears his foresight has paid off.

“He does not complain. Ever. He’s never in the trainers room,” Richardson said. “You watch him get hit out there and you think, ‘He got to be hurting,’ and then you see he’s never with the trainers. The way he has adapted to our team and to the NFL has been tremendous. We couldn’t be happier.”

http://bit.ly/tWW0lq

That second quote is not a good thing, no matter how it's presented. If your body is your money-maker, it's not a sign of weakness if you get bruises looked at or sprains taped up. Clearly something else Cam needs to learn. Perseverance is for smart people, not pussies. :frown2:

that's the mentality of an athlete. frankly i love it. i'd much rather have a team full of guys like that than a bunch of losers competing for bench space because of an owwie dowwie.

i also suspect that statement was a bit hyperbolic. i'm sure if cam had a concussion the doctors would figure it out.

i can't even remember a time when cam looked hurt. he had the ankle issue after the packers game and he wore a boot for a day or two. guess he thought he got a bloody nose in this past game. and there was one other time where he got up a little slow... i mean, the guy is 6'5 and 250. he barely ever gets hit. he opts to dive when running. he's probably not in the training room since he's younger and is an insane physical specimen.

I think you're over thinking the article. Cam is a very big and powerful individual. He can take a lot of abuse. But he's not going to let you show it. That is a HOF quality trait that a lot of the greats had. Obviously it could be detrimental but right now he is the pride of the Panthers offense I know damn well they are watching him.

Honestly Richardson is pushing what 80 now? Maybe he's just being realistic. We all know Big Cat won't be around for too much longer.

2nd what Lady Panther said.

1. He expects to die before Cam Newton's career in Carolina is over, apparently, and

2. He confirms here one of my problems with Cam Newton's "tough guy", internalize everything personality. I've said this before. If Cam Newton ever got a concussion, there's a good chance no one would ever know unless he completely looked out of it in the huddle or fell out on the field.

Jerry Richardson:

That second quote is not a good thing, no matter how it's presented. If your body is your money-maker, it's not a sign of weakness if you get bruises looked at or sprains taped up. Clearly something else Cam needs to learn. Perseverance is for smart people, not pussies. :frown2:

This has got to be the funniest thread ever. Especially since you have all these QBs who have been taking a licking and kept on ticking...What is your obsession with Cam's ability to learn? Tony Romo played with broken ribs. Ben Rothleisburger came back and won a game despite his ankle issues and you want Cam to go to the training room just because.

You are showing what separates athletes from average folks who want to believe they got what it takes to be athletes.

The truth is, athletes have a much higher threshole for pain than you and I but if you want to make much out of what Jerry said about Cam then go ahead. It seems folks like you are always looking for reasons to turn anything said about Cam into something to worry about.

that's the mentality of an athlete. frankly i love it. i'd much rather have a team full of guys like that than a bunch of losers competing for bench space because of an owwie dowwie.

i also suspect that statement was a bit hyperbolic. i'm sure if cam had a concussion the doctors would figure it out.

I'm sure most will "love it", also, because it's that whole "these guys are gladiators...you want tough guys out there" mindset surrounding football.

Like I said, because Cam likes to walk things off, go stand off to himself and try to recollect himself, I'm just saying, it'd probably be harder to find out if something was wrong with him than it is for the average player.

I don't think getting tended to by your training staff (FREE HEALTH CARE by the way) and "complaining" should be grouped together in the same thought.

Archived