• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Meeks Let Go

Panther4Ever

Panthers secondary coach Ron Meeks, one of only two holdovers from John Fox's staff, has been relieved of his duties, sources told the Observer on Friday.

Meeks, who has two decades of NFL coaching experience, was with the Panthers' for three years, including two as Fox's defensive coordinator. Meeks and assistant defensive line coach Sam Mills III were the only assistants retained by Ron Rivera when he was hired last year.

In a brief phone interview Friday, Meeks was noncommittal when asked about his status for next season. Rivera was unavailable for comment.

The Panthers were 24th among 32 teams in pass defense in 2011, allowing an average of 246.8 yards a game.

--Joseph Person

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/

Meh.... I think we'd be fine if we were able to create pressure from the defensive line and injected some better talent in thr secondary. Did we consider the possibility that Sherrod Martin just isn't very good?

Should this be concerning? Rivera first states that he doesn't want to make any moves this offseason on the DL, now he makes a move that would dictate he believes the secondary play is largely to blame for our defensive struggles.

Hmm.

Meh.... I think we'd be fine if we were able to create pressure from the defensive line and injected some better talent in thr secondary. Did we consider the possibility that Sherrod Martin just isn't very good?

Should this be concerning? Rivera first states that he doesn't want to make any moves this offseason, now he makes a move that would dictate he believes the secondary play is largely to blame for our defensive struggles.

Hmm.

you might be reading a little too much into it.

it's not like meeks was anything particularly special. rivera probably just wants to get his own guys in here. there might not have been much available at the time but that could very well have changed.

we should just see this as a positive that he isn't sticking with the status quo and wants to improve where he can.

was meeks the reason the DBs were bad and we were ranked so low in passing D? nope, but it can't hurt to upgrade at the DB coach.

I will say this though: Even with the defensive line excuse, I thought Godfrey and Martin were SIGNIFICANTLY worse this season than last.
martin was worse for sure.

godfrey was just a busy busy man. the guy was more of a utility guy this year than anything. there were so many weak spots and holes left because of injury and inexperience that godfrey was made to work harder and wear more hats.

i don't think there was a regression. he was just asked to do too much and was spread thin.

Archived