• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodell extended 5 years..

Reapuh

hurrayy for turning football into a pussy sport!

Has football really become less enoyable for you to watch since Goodell became commisioner? There are still a ton of great hits and great plays. Something had to be done about the helmet to helmet shots that people were taking and the concussions that were being ingnored. If the statistics below are correct (I think the life expectancy one is skewed) then changes were needed.

• The average age of retired NFL players is 28;

• 65% of NFL players leave the game with permanent injuries;

• At least 20% of players are clinically depressed;

• The average life expectancy for retired NFL players is 53-59 years

One in three retired football players will suffer some cognitive impairment

Look up players like Ted Johnson, Andre Waters, Ricardo McDonald, and Dave Duerson - who left a note asking his brain to be donated to the NFL for study right before he shot himself in the chest. They are just a few of the countless players who were ruined for life after severe head trama from playing the game of football unchecked.

I love the violence of football as much as the next guy but these guys needed to be protected from themselves so to speak.

Has football really become less enoyable for you to watch since Goodell became commisioner? There are still a ton of great hits and great plays. Something had to be done about the helmet to helmet shots that people were taking and the concussions that were being ingnored. If the statistics below are correct (I think the life expectancy one is skewed) then changes were needed.

Look up players like Ted Johnson, Andre Waters, Ricardo McDonald, and Dave Duerson - who left a note asking his brain to be donated to the NFL for study right before he blew his brains out. They are just a few of the countless players who were ruined for life after severe head trama from playing the game of football unchecked.

I love the violence of football as much as the next guy but these guys needed to be protected from themselves so to speak.

well said.

Look up players like Ted Johnson, Andre Waters, Ricardo McDonald, and Dave Duerson - who left a note asking his brain to be donated to the NFL for study right before he blew his brains out. They are just a few of the countless players who were ruined for life after severe head trama from playing the game of football unchecked.

Yes.

Yes.

In what way? I'm not discounting that it probably is less enjoyable for you but I am curious in what way specifically watching a football game is worse?

Football evolves over time and it needs to. Football in the late 70's and mid 80 was much different (and arguably better) then football in the 90's and now it is becoming different then it was in the 90's early 2000's.

For the NFL to continue to ignore the growing concern and lawsuits over concussions, brain injuries, and in some cases death was not possible and would have been very irresponsible.

In what way? I'm not discounting that it probably is less enjoyable for you but I am curious in what way specifically watching a football game is worse?

Football evolves over time and it needs to. Football in the late 70's and mid 80 was much different (and arguably better) then football in the 90's and now it is becoming different then it was in the 90's early 2000's.

For the NFL to continue to ignore the growing concern and lawsuits over concussions, brain injuries, and in some cases death was not possible and would have been very irresponsible.

I dont mind them protecting players but at some point you have to acknowledge that the game is about hitting and being hit. Its a risk you take when you play the game and people should not be fined for that. All they need to do is put in place a concussion system and they did. That would have been enough.

I dont mind them protecting players but at some point you have to acknowledge that the game is about hitting and being hit. Its a risk you take when you play the game and people should not be fined for that. All they need to do is put in place a concussion system and they did. That would have been enough.

That PLUS heavily slanting the rules in favour of the offence.

If I wanted to watch high scoring games by teams running the spread I'd go watch Texas Tech.

Good point and for the most part I agree with you. Violent helmet to helmet hits I think needed to be adressed and taken out of the game because it is dangerous and not how you should tackle anyway. However, it is frustrating and stupid to see a qb take an open hand to the helmet and a flag is thrown.

The whole defenseless receiver thing (although a definite inury concern) has way to much gray area IMO. In fact, I am still not sure I totally understand that.

I give credit to Goodell for finally addressing something that should have been addressed long ago but was ignored. It might not be popular and I don't agree 100% with what is in place but something had to be done and at least he is not ignoring it.

Now he just needs to get a legit drug testing system in place (HGH) but that's a whole different discussion.....

That PLUS heavily slanting the rules in favour of the offence.

If I wanted to watch high scoring games by teams running the spread I'd go watch Texas Tech.

And that is Goodell's fault???!!!! Specific rules intentionally made to open up the passing game began and were passed 30 years before Goodell -

1977- Rule allows defender to only touch elligible receiver once.

1978 - Defender allowed to maintain contact with receiver within first 5 yards but not after that.

1978 - Offensive lineman permitted to extend arms with open hands which led to the non holding "grasping" of d-linemen you see today.

1995 - QB's allowed to get communicatio from sidelines via transmitter in helmet. (Goodell finally impossed the same thing for a defender in 2008 leveling the playing field).

1996 - The 5 yard contact rule to be enforced more stringently.

2001 - Protecting the QB will be emphasized and a priority.

2006- Goodell becomes commissioner

And as far as player safety goes...the list of rules put into place to make the game less violent prior to Goodell is far greater than the pre-Goodell list of rules to help the passing game.

Archived