• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why did Panthers trade away a seventh round pick for a longsnapper?

They are hoping they got a cheaper, younger version of Kyle, and are planning it ahead it seems to me. No guarantee he will stick, or we get rid of Kyle yet, so nothing is really set in stone.

Young kid does look promising, but it's hard to look away from the dependability we got from Kyle.

Yea it just seems like a price not worth it to me.

The seventh round has valuable players still left

Derickk Ward, Donald Driver, Matt Cassell, Cortland Finnegan, etc. were all drafted in the 7th round

Not to mention players that weren't even drafted like Willie Parker and Wes Welker

Its not a 7th until 2010 or 11. Who cares.

crying over a 7th in 2011? seriously?

he's a lot cheaper, a lot younger, and very well could be better....and if he isn't and we don't keep him then we don't lose the pick.

how much longer would kyle last?

move on.

bigger things to get your panties in a wad over.

Yea it just seems like a price not worth it to me.

The seventh round has valuable players still left

Derickk Ward, Donald Driver, Matt Cassell, Cortland Finnegan, etc. were all drafted in the 7th round

Not to mention players that weren't even drafted like Willie Parker and Wes Welker

That's great and all, but what have we gotten out of the 7th round recently?

I'll tell you.

2008 Hillee Taylor, Geoff Schwartz, Mackenzy Bernadeau (jury is out on all 3)

2007 CJ Wilson (ditto)

2006 Will Montgomery, Stanley McClover (both didn't make the team last year)

No picks in 2005

2004 Michael Gaines (never amounted to anything here, last I remember he was playing for the Lions)

2003 Walter Young, Casey Moore (I remember the preseason of Walter Young, and I don't remember anything about Casey Moore)

So, I don't think it's worth lamenting us possibly losing one 7th rounder in 2011.

The only reason we don't pay attention to long snappers is because we have good one. If we had a bad one, you'd not be complaining at all.

A long snapper who never botches a snap is worth a first rounder. Assuming this kid has a long career ahead of him, I'd say we got a steal.

I could care less if we traded our 7th rounder every year. That pick is about as close to worthless as you can get. Anyone you pick there, especially late 7th, will probably be an UDFA if you don't pick them. So we can just sign the same guy as an UDFA, or some other scrub whose just as bad.

Saying there's been like 3 or 4 decent 7th rounders in the history of the draft just proves the point. And Brady and Cassell weren't close to the level they are now when they entered the NFL. They were developed into the players they are, notice how they were both with NE.

The only reason we don't pay attention to long snappers is because we have good one. If we had a bad one, you'd not be complaining at all.

A long snapper who never botches a snap is worth a first rounder. Assuming this kid has a long career ahead of him, I'd say we got a steal.

I agree with everything you said, except for the 1st rounder part. I can't go that far for a long snapper, but if this kid is as reliable as Kyle, then he's certainly worth more than a 7th round pick.

Archived