• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Major Bobcats Announcement Coming Soon?

I remember watching Charles Barkley on Inside The NBA clowning the city of Charlotte and their fans as disloyal in 01 when there was no one at our playoff games. His exact words "even if you're upset with the owner, you sttill gotta support the team". Quite frankly that show of disloyalty and fickleness set our sports scene back a decade. And not going to the games didnt force Shinn to sell or keep the team here, so what was proven? Charlotte sports fans can be their own worst enemy. Other markets have horrible pwnership, but that doesnt stop them from going to the games.

I think in a major way it comes down to the sports fever in general within the city and its true across the board. Cam can possibly bring us out of the whole wine and cheese hell football wise and on the basketball side of things, we have a rather transient affection for the pro-sport itself within the metro. For a lot of demographics, college sports simply dominate the basketball side of things.

The funcats need to figure out how to appeal to the older and younger people along with the lifers and transplants. If they can learn to market toward to both sides *cough* but winning first and foremost* then it can completely turn around. Rebranding basically adds a trampoline effect in with a refresh button.

That doesnt explain the lackluster playoff attendance the year before. I actually live in Charlotte. Nobody locally cared about the Hornets then. People were literally giving tickets away.

Ugh, bro, I got news for you. They are giving Bobcats tickets away now. I've turned down free bobcat tix at least three times this year. Like I said earlier, my girlfriend is a teacher at CMS, and occassionally they have like a CMS night or some sh1t and we can get tickets for around $7. Passed everytime. 100 things better to do in this city than watch a professional AAU team get their brains kicked in.

I also had floor level seats to the lakers 2 years ago and gave them to some guys I worked with. All their pictures from the game were of Ric Flair, not the bobcats.

But you know the Hornets were successful. You also know why they became unsuccessful. That negates the argument as to there being more people at the Cats lone playoff appearance versus the Hornets last playoffs in Charlotte.

In all seriousness, if you love the team, why would you be so against something that could make it even better? As I said, what if another name would give us an advantage in sales/marketing? It doesn't have to be Hornets, but there is a good number of people who specifically want that name, and for good reason.

If it is beneficial to our team, then what is wrong with it or supporting the possibility?

I don't want to lose our team. I want our team to be successful and respected, which it hasn't been at anytime in its existence.

this is a good post.

I can promise you that if the named was changed back to the Hornets, attendance would double.

New Orleans will soon be done with the "Hornets" one way or another so never say never. I think they said the re-branding would be somewhere in the 6mill range.

All I can say is that if Jordan did get the naming rights back for Charlotte he would be more than a super star in this area. By doing that he would be elevated to folk hero status.

Bobs have better attendance than Hornets...

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

i bring facts, hornets nostalgists bring emotional speculation. Bobcats believe in hard work, reaching out to the community financially, and the new uptown charlotte. Hornets nostalgists believe in handouts

(they wont raise a dime to pay for anything they feel they are owed. lol), Billy Graham Parkway, revising history, and fruity color schemes.

You are missing the point.

Not at all. What are you basing "attendance will double" on? And if thats the case why dont you guys raise some $$$? The Panthers and Bobcats both were able to raise money for their organizations. If you guys want the Hornets back, you need $$$ to be heard and respected. Or you can keep doing what you been doing which is begging Bob Johnson and Michael Jordan for handouts. You see how good its working so far right? You guys are so naive thinking the Bobs, the NO Hornets, and the NBA are just gonna do what you say because you live in this area. David Stern owns the Hornets NOW, and if you think he's gonna sabotagetwo of his franchises because a vocal minority of fans are ashamed they needed Bob Johnson's money to keep bball alive in Charlotte, you're mistaken.

I agree with ya on the idea that winning is the most important thing, Hatter, but I have to disagree on the 'nobody cares' bit...this is the most viewed topic on the page right now, and the only thing close was started 3 years ago. Seems like a whole bunch of people care ;)

Anyone else think King Taharqa is nothing more than a contrarian jack***? I mean it's one thing to not support bring the name back but it's an entirely different thing to go out of your way to talk trash just for the sake of being annoying. Do everyone a favor and get a life that involves something other than spending all your time on a message board trying to get under peoples skin. Furthermore the NBA was coming back regardless of that egomaniac Bob Johnson, there were actually different ownership groups bidding on the rights to this franchise. Also to your argument that the Hornets name wouldn't help attendance numbers because it hasn't helped NO is the weakest argument I have ever heard. The reason it doesn't help NO is because it has nothing to do with the city, where as in Charlotte it's roots go back to the revolutionary war.

Archived