• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Fox Embraces Change?

Udogg

You think he decided that on his own? I sure don't.

you can debate with whoever is willing to listen on whether he decided that on his own, but I don't see how that's relevant when he has said in interviews (essentially) that his "old ways" are past him...

You're all way off, and I have to wonder how much attention you actually pay to what went on here.

Does Fox rely on a very conservative offense? Yes. But, really, he never had the kind of QB that would allow him to run anything else. Delhomme was perfect for a limited run-first offense, and we won games that way, but he wasn't Peyton Manning. Neither was Moore, or Clausen, or Orton or The Golden Calf of Bristol. Peyton can actually run a pass-first offense, so it's not as if Fox magically decided to be onboard with it. He knows what he can or can't work with, hence his extreme offensive training wheels he had to conjure up to keep The Golden Calf of Bristol upright, or the creative packages he ran against Atlanta the seaosn Delhomme was out and we had to bring in frickin' Vinny Testaverde.

On the flip side, we needed a change here. Rivera is much more risk/reward oriented and will not be afraid to let his offense try to win a game rather than hope to avoid losing it, and he has his franchise QB that Fox would have killed for once Jake was done.

I am personally glad that Fox was not our coach when we decided to take a franchise-altering gamble and select Cam, because Fox would not have been invested in it the way Rivera is and would have been content to bring Cam along way too slowly, whereas Rivera wants to put him on the fast track to dominance. It worked out OK for everyone involved, Fox included.

Pretty much this. If we had Delhomme trying to run Peyton Mannings offense here... oh boy. That would have been even uglier than his eventual meltdown.

I cant say he has changed that much. He let go The Golden Calf of Bristol once he signed a QB that is his type of QB.

Although i cant say i blame him. The Golden Calf of Bristol is another Vick QB. A player thtas not a real qb but not a real HB or anyother postion.

Ownership and Management in my opinion. I think Fox is fairly conservative but it's amplified when you have a conservative owner and GM. They were bad for each other.

Or....he had more say here where in Denver Elway runs that ship.

It's been well documented that Ownership wanted to adapt to the new NFL by having an aggressive offense that put up more than 21 points on any given Sunday, and allowed for a rookie HC, rookie OC and rookie QB to run a very non-traditional offense to do just that...

Also, let me add that JR is now allowing certain personalities on the team that we never have before.. Brandon Hogan is one example of a guy that would have been ignored in the draft and Shockey is another that JR said he wanted more attitudes like his on the team....

Not something you usually see from an overly conservative owner holding back his coaching staff..

I think Fox is being dictated to more so than he is embracing change.. Elway is running that ship, not Fox.

Fox was forced his new qb?

You bitter fellows will say anything.

someone said Fox was forced his new QB?

Fox ran his course year...but by the end of his run, he simply found a situation that fit him in a very good way. Elway is out there as a cushion in some ways for good ole' John. I think he could end up with a late Peyton Super Bowl. The only Panthers coach I truly dislike is Seifert

I think Fox is being dictated to more so than he is embracing change.. Elway is running that ship, not Fox.

someone said Fox was forced his new QB?

you pretty much said it yourself.

Then there is...

Also it's not like he had a choice in the matter. Elway probably told him they were signing Manning and the offense was now Manning's.

I find humorous what you guys will say to convince yourselves of those opinioms.

I know the evidence supports Fox being a players coach and a coach who prefers a veteran qb.

Seems to me it's a perfect fit for Fox.

Manning said coach Fox was one of the reasons he chose the Broncos.

I know these facts don't support the popular opinion around here.

Pretty hard to ignore, IMO.

you pretty much said it yourself.

Then there is...

I find humorous what you guys will say to convince yourselves of those opinioms.

I know the evidence supports Fox being a players coach and a coach who prefers a veteran qb.

Seems to me it's a perfect fit for Fox.

Manning said coach Fox was one of the reasons he chose the Broncos.

I know these facts don't support the popular opinion around here.

Pretty hard to ignore, IMO.

oh, I see.. yeah, I think it's hard to say Fox was the ultimate reason Manning went to Denver.. You think Elway didn't have more pull in that decision? I'm not sure why you think that is a negative spin, but it's pretty much general consensus on the airwaves... So.. yeah.. I'm not sure why you are spinning that around like someone on here hurt your feelings...

no one said it was a bad fit. Actually, it couldn't of been a better fit anywhere else. Fox gets to play with D and never has to meddle with offense since that's definitely not his thing.

You seem to take criticism of Fox way too personally, and I find it humorous that you are now at the point where you perceive anything mentioned of Fox must be negative.. Those that I have heard who have a better idea about this than you or I seem to agree Elway was the motivating factor with Manning to Denver. For your sake, I hope they didn't piss on your parade either...

I don't it personally.

I don't have to put a negative spin on anything. Most huddlers do that already.

For anyone to say the head coach had nothing to do with it, they are being naive.

No reports I've heard and read, dismiss Fox. So no, I have no hurt feelings. Especially since I have no emotional involvement.

Elway is definately a presence.

Manning himself, said Fox and Elway were honest, and instrumental to Mannings decision.

Diismiss that if you wish.

I don't it personally.

For anyone to say the head coach had nothing to do with it, they are being naive.

No reports I've heard and read, dismiss Fox. So no, I have no hurt feelings. Especially since I have no emotional involvement.

Manning himself, said Fox and Elway were honest, and instrumental to Mannings decision.

I mean, he said that during a press conference joining the team. What was he supposed to say?

"I had a lot of reservations on coming here because of numerous people employed throughout the organization, but they could offer more money than anybody else so . . . that's that"

That would have been awesome, but pretty unlikely.

I don't it personally.

Fox has only brought negativity upon himself as fans reflect on his stubbornness.. people are only projecting now what we've seen here at Carolina.. Considering the major change we've seen which was "stubborn as hell" to "embracing change?" ... is it really a far cry that Elway is running the ship over there?

you can make of that how you like.. to me it's clear my original comment isn't that far off, nor is being portrayed negatively by my own doing.

It's also been noted that Peyton can run the offense, which wasn't going to be the case in San Fran.. so I guess you raise a good point, Fox did have a role in the Manning signing..

Archived