• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobcats Rebrand Update Thread (Real Charlotte Fans-Censorship Free Edition)

Proudiddy

KT, you know this is true. Over the past month the "Hornets rebrand topic" is one of the hottest topics in the Charlotte area.

The Charlotte Hornets get more positive attention than the bobcats. The bobcats are the laughing stock of American sports.

I hope we can rebrand to the hornets so people will stop talking about it. If you are only going to pull for our team because of their nickname you have weird priorities in my opinion. I will pull for the Bobcats/Hornets/Cougars no matter what you call them.

I hope we can rebrand to the hornets so people will stop talking about it. If you are only going to pull for our team because of their nickname you have weird priorities in my opinion. I will pull for the Bobcats/Hornets/Cougars no matter what you call them.

"weird priorities"

Yeah I hate pulling for teams I grew up rooting for then had ripped out from under me.

The Hornets stabbed you in the back and left town for that shythole in the Bayou. Why would you want them back? You have a team, support it.

The Bobcats are in the city in which I live, but they will never be my team. And from the looks of it, they may not be Charlotte's team much longer, either.

"weird priorities"

Yeah I hate pulling for teams I grew up rooting for then had ripped out from under me.

Yes, I want to see Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, and Baron Davis lacing it up for the Charlotte Hornets dammit, I dont care if the team moved or if all the players are old and cant play anymore. I grew up rooting for them, I should get to root for them again- anything less is not worth it

I haven't heard anything in the news about a 'rebranding' for the Bobcats.

I haven't either but last night at the Arena, I was working in the team store and one of the older security guys in the arena came up to me and said "I guess everything around here is going to say Hornets pretty soon" Also another guy was in the team store wearing a Charlotte Hornets shirt. He was talking to my manager and said something about 'they are bringing back the Hornets" I was like have I missed something. I really thought there was breaking news or something that I missed. We also just so happen to to put all the Bobcats jerseys on sale for 50% off. We are trying to get rid of all those suckers. But then I came home and saw no news on it. So I don't where everyone is hearing news on this.

Zod, had it not been for forums like ours story might not have made the local news. Good to see you nip it in the bud before it could grow into that for the Panthers. I watch nbatv everyday and havent seen one story or clip on a Bobcats rebrand. Bobs havent made a single comment. But let the gentrification talk continue

You mean the station owned by the NBA hasn't talked about something that it doesn't want anyone to talk about until the Hornets actually officially re-brand?? No way. :o

The Bobcats are in the city in which I live, but they will never be my team. And from the looks of it, they may not be Charlotte's team much longer, either.

This is what I don't understand about this whole movement. It will be the same team, same owner, same arena. Only the nickname will change.

I watch nbatv everyday and havent seen one story or clip on a Bobcats rebrand.

Here is the NBA story from Friday. Since rebranding would require the "Hornets" name to be available, I would call this related to Bobcats rebrand. It looks like the purchase clears the way for Charlotte to get Hornets name back.

Article:

Earlier on Friday, Dan Devine relayed the news that the NBA had officially sold the New Orleans Hornets to the Tom Benson, who also owns the New Orleans Saints. Benson, not satisfied to be the owner of just one pro sports team with an area-appropriate nickname (as in, "When the Saints Go Marching In"), isn't happy with owning a team in New Orleans called "the Hornets." The team was originally named in tribute to North Carolina's steadfast, guerrilla-styled defense of its soon-to-be-state during the Revolutionary War, a defense which led to an English general referring to the area as "a veritable nest of hornets." Apparently Louisiana gave no such defense. Way to go, guys. Here's Benson's take on the name change:

Benson said he is also trying to change the name of the NBA team to better fit the ambiance, culture and charm of New Orleans. "We need to find a name like (Jazz)," Benson said, referring to New Orleans first NBA team that relocated to Salt Lake City in 1979. "Whether we can get that or let us use that, you've got to know we're working on it. We'd like to change it tomorrow. We have not gotten that approved, but we're not letting up on it, either. Because we've got a good relationship with the commissioner and his people and we're going to be on them daily to do something."

Sounds good to us. We've got some suggestions for Benson, though, considering that the nickname "Jazz" has already been taken by those Chinese Music (that's not an insult, check the link) purveyors in Utah. Here's a few suggestions:

It's just a name change; not like we are swapping teams. For as much grief you get on this forum KT, you are one of the biggest Bobcat's fans I have seen post. And Charlotte needs more like you in order to maintain this franchise. Yea, in the later years the Hornets were very unpopular here - mainly bc of that poohead Shinn - but at one point they were given a parade! I will always support my local teams, and will always want what is best for each organization. If the Panthers one day lose a lot of their fanbase and Charlotte is in risk of losing them unless we rebrand, I would be all for it.

I cheer for the team and the organization - whether it be the darkest days or the highest times. Again, I have nothing wrong with the name 'Bobcats' but if there is an outcry of support to rebrand and it improves attendance and their place in the city then you have to really consider a rebrand.

Archived