• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TSN blurb on what's next for Peppers

NanceUSMC

That is not true. Not true at all.

Here is a list of teams that would literally kill for our most recent seven years...

Detroit-One of THE very worst teams in the league. Any half-competent team is going to look better than this squad.

49ers

Bills

Bengals-

Browns

Texans-their past 7 years have been their FIRST seven years.

Jags-That's not entirely true. Their success compared with Carolina's has been comparable.

Chiefs

Dolphins

Jets

Raiders-See LIONS

Cards

Falcons-2004: NFC championship appearance, actually I think they have the same W/L ratio in the playoffs as we do the past 2 trips so...

Saints

Rams-

Why would they kill for it? Because they have been the leagues lowest, have achieved one or two playoffs, had one season of joy followed by nothing. The fact is VERY few teams get into 3 playoff berths in a 7 year span. The only fans who would complain would be the Steelers, Pats, Eagles, Colts. The rest we are about on par with.

During that seven year span there have only been four superbowl winners! So I reckon that minus those 4 and then subtract the teams that have visited the playoffs more often and every single other team would want to have the kind of success we have had during Fox's tenure.

Everyone wants to win a superbowl, but the fact is, once playoffs hit in it is almost a lottery. The best team does not always win and often it is simply the team that stayed the healthiest. That is why it is great to judge franchises by superbowl wins, but you certainly can not judge a seven year span by superbowl rings.

I'm not trying to judge a franchise by superbowl wins, it's more on the basis of how often you can make the playoffs, as I'd mentioned before.

Of course the Panthers are going to look good against most of those teams you mentioned, ...when you're comparing hamburger to a turd, which one are you more likely to eat?

What gets me is why to people use these collectively awful teams as a benchmark all the time?

Colts, Giants, Pats, Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Packers, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens. Can you say any of these fanbases would've KILLED for our success? ...they wouldn't have. So that makes 13 teams. I'd say we've been just about on Par with Jax and Atlanta the past 5 years. So with that, sandwiching the Panthers between the remaining teams you mentioned and the teams I mentioned, we're just about middle of the pack. ...average.

..and I guess average satisfies a lot of people here.

I'm not trying to judge a franchise by superbowl wins, it's more on the basis of how often you can make the playoffs, as I'd mentioned before.

Fair enough, I can't argue with that.

However, that said, I think I would rather they make it, win game or two and miss a year, then make it, but yet be competitive for a spot down to the end (which is pretty much how it's been for Fox) rather than be a team like the Colts who goes one and done most times or the Broncos who have won one playoff game since 1998. But that's JMO.

However, that said, I think I would rather they make it, win game or two and miss a year, then make it, but yet be competitive for a spot down to the end (which is pretty much how it's been for Fox) rather than be a team like the Colts who goes one and done most times or the Broncos who have won one playoff game since 1998. But that's JMO.

You can add Dallas to the list of teams that makes the playoffs but loses every year, at least in the past decade or so. No thanks!! As sick as we were over the Arizona loss, how would that sit with fans if it happened every year like that for the next 10 or so?

I think Peppers will be traded next offseason and hopefully we can parlay some picks to move up and get him.

Assuming that there is no cap that would be fine but if we do have a cap there's no way we can take a 10 mill hit.

Newsflash we have become the Colts except for making it every year.

Of course the Panthers are going to look good against most of those teams you mentioned, ...when you're comparing hamburger to a turd, which one are you more likely to eat?

What gets me is why to people use these collectively awful teams as a benchmark all the time?

Colts, Giants, Pats, Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Packers, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens. Can you say any of these fanbases would've KILLED for our success? ...they wouldn't have. So that makes 13 teams. I'd say we've been just about on Par with Jax and Atlanta the past 5 years. So with that, sandwiching the Panthers between the remaining teams you mentioned and the teams I mentioned, we're just about middle of the pack. ...average.

Well that is where our personal opinions divide, because whilst the other teams I mentioned would have loved to have the last seven years we have, many of the teams you mentioned have had very similar spans. So to automatically put us at the bottom of those teams is ilogical.

The Seahawks, Bears, Broncos, Chargers and Skins have not had any great increase over us in playoff appearances. The only teams that have are the four mentioned time and again. So what we actually are is in the third quarter of teams. the teams that are always fighting for a playoff spot, may not always get it, but is never embarressed - unlike the Hawks just recently who you feel have had better success.

Looking at it logically we are right in the midst of that upper third quarter - distinctly ABOVE average, just not quite elite. Considering how the league is designed it is hard to achieve that status for long and why those four teams are highly regarded. Unfrotunately not every team can get there, so it is crazy to realistically expect us to achieve more than we have thus far.

Ah well, opinions will always be divided

Well that is where our personal opinions divide, because whilst the other teams I mentioned would have loved to have the last seven years we have, many of the teams you mentioned have had very similar spans. So to automatically put us at the bottom of those teams is ilogical.

The Seahawks, Bears, Broncos, Chargers and Skins have not had any great increase over us in playoff appearances. The only teams that have are the four mentioned time and again. So what we actually are is in the third quarter of teams. the teams that are always fighting for a playoff spot, may not always get it, but is never embarressed - unlike the Hawks just recently who you feel have had better success.

Looking at it logically we are right in the midst of that upper third quarter - distinctly ABOVE average, just not quite elite. Considering how the league is designed it is hard to achieve that status for long and why those four teams are highly regarded. Unfrotunately not every team can get there, so it is crazy to realistically expect us to achieve more than we have thus far.

Ah well, opinions will always be divided

The Seahawks have had 5 playoff appearances compared to 3 on our part. So they've pretty much been one of the most consistent teams in the league. The Chargers also have had more playoff berths than we have, ...including 3 in a row the past 3 years.

Oh, also in that last post I mentioned I forgot to mention the Titans and their 4 playoff trips the past 7 years. Or the Bucs and their 3 playoff berths + their superbowl win in 2002. ...I don't think their fans would trade in their success for a trip to houston a year later so they can lose by three points, a road campaign that ended in disaster in Seattle, and a complete beatdown in Arizona.

what everybody doesn't like to hear is we've got a lot of work to do, to get better. But people would rather distract themselves by looking down at the Lions and Raiders and some of the worst teams in the league and raise their arms in triumph that we're better than they are.

I'd rather have our results in the last seven years than the Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins (by the way - are you kidding me? The Redskins? Do you even follow how these teams actually do?), the Packers, the Broncos and the Ravens.

Do you know why?

Drum roll please:

THEY NEVER MADE THE SUPER BOWL.

I can't believe many fans would really switch with those teams.

That leaves seven teams, and really, I could take or leave switching with the Eagles, Seahawks and Bears, because they didn't win the Super Bowl.

So that leaves (and I'd add Tampa Bay, because they did win one) five teams I think have had a better last seven years.

That ain't many.

You never really answered my previous question: What would be good enough for you?

I think I know why.

It's because if you get down to it, only about four or five teams would have the results you think are reasonable for EVERY fanbase to expect.

So you would have fired virtually every coach in pro football, including some who certainly would have gone on to win a Super Bowl with that team.

So maybe you realized that and didn't want to say your expectations were that high.

But the other hand, if you said they were a little less, it turns out the Panthers actually would meet your standard.

I think you need to realize how succesful this team has been. Maybe if you weren't a fan during the early years or maybe if you've never been a fan of a team that struggled, you don't understand that this has been a pretty good run for the last several years.

Of course, we all WANT to win every year, and we all WANT to win a Super Bowl.

But so does every team. Wanting to do it and being able to do it aren't the same thing.

And the best team doesn't always get to or win the Super Bowl. A few bad bounces, a few bad plays, and the better team can fall. The best you can do is do everything you can to get yourself in position to win.

For any team other than the Super Bowl winners over the last seven years, we had the best look at a championship. It didn't happen, but who, either in our fanbase or beyond, would be the least bit surprised if we won this year?

Nobody.

That's a good position to be in, and that's why I'm very satisfied with the job Fox and Hurney have done.

Archived