• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What On Earth Is Hurney Thinking?

NanceUSMC

Nice write up and great analysis but the fact is 3 winning seasons under Hurney. Thats a c*nt hair above Cleveland. Marty is a reporter not a GM...

Differences of opinions are the spice of life... And the best thing is, that regardless of what people may say, you are never wrong for having one of your own... =)

Hey Nance...Good to hear from you again and great post!!!

Thanks bud! Just trying to add something constructive to the discussion... =)

Thanks nance.

Anytime! How have you been, bud?

Nance proves once again that he is The Man.

Good to see you back...been too long since we have seen you around here.

Thanks brother! Wish I had the time to invest into these discussions that I used to...

Good to see you post brother.

Reminds me of the halcyon days of panthershuddle

Hey hey Brother! Can't tell you how bad I want to hang with you guys at a tailgate again! Really miss those days...

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention how the 'experts' grade drafts:

Top needs: DT, CB, DE, WR, OLB

Summary: Given all the health problems in their linebacking corps over the last couple years, and an inability to defend the run, Luke Kuechly at No. 9 was no surprise. That's where I had him projected, and I obviously love what he can do -- he's among my top 10 players in the draft, which is saying something for an inside linebacker. I'm pretty shocked they didn't get a single defensive tackle. That was a glaring weakness in 2011, not at all helped by injuries. Frank Alexander has some ability as a pass-rusher, and I can see Josh Norman developing into a starter. As much as I like Kuechly, they drop a little because they didn't hit the top need. Hopefully their young defensive tackles continue to develop.

Now, mind you HE is the one that sets the team 'needs'... We addressed the linebackers exceptionally... We addressed the receivers with an explosive threat... Added a DE that has the potential to contribute significantly... And we addressed the DB's with two value selections... That alone (again by Mel's own analysis) addresses 80% of the 'needs' defined... Yet the grade is a C for how well we drafted based on 'need'... To me, this is a head scratcher... While I am never a fan of drafting based on needs, I fully believe we had at the very least an above average draft in terms of how well we addressed the needs of the team... Also, Mel has labelled our 'top need' as DT... This is a subjective point of view, and short-sights the fact that we played two rookies (who played like you'd expect rookies to play) all season, and missed a complete year from a solid veteran DT... Taking the big picture into consideration (which I don't personally feel was adequately done in this analysis), is DT really the biggest need? I agree, of course, that it would have been nice to have added another body here, but are we really at a point where we should give up on the youngsters after 16 games? And no points for getting the veteran back? Wow... Tough crowd, Mel... Tough crowd...

Sir, it is obvious that your presence has been sorely missed here. I only hope and pray that your sage wisdom rubs off on some of the newer guys around here. It has been pretty intolerable with the occasional Mr. Scott insight to offer a ray of hope. Perhaps the two of you can turn the tide of perpetual Jerry Springer mob that has plagued us for this insufferable off-season.

Sir, it is obvious that your presence has been sorely missed here. I only hope and pray that your sage wisdom rubs off on some of the newer guys around here. It has been pretty intolerable with the occasional Mr. Scott insight to offer a ray of hope. Perhaps the two of you can turn the tide of perpetual Jerry Springer mob that has plagued us for this insufferable off-season.

can I get an amen?

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention how the 'experts' grade drafts:

Now, mind you HE is the one that sets the team 'needs'... We addressed the linebackers exceptionally... We addressed the receivers with an explosive threat... Added a DE that has the potential to contribute significantly... And we addressed the DB's with two value selections... That alone (again by Mel's own analysis) addresses 80% of the 'needs' defined... Yet the grade is a C for how well we drafted based on 'need'... To me, this is a head scratcher... While I am never a fan of drafting based on needs, I fully believe we had at the very least an above average draft in terms of how well we addressed the needs of the team... Also, Mel has labelled our 'top need' as DT... This is a subjective point of view, and short-sights the fact that we played two rookies (who played like you'd expect rookies to play) all season, and missed a complete year from a solid veteran DT... Taking the big picture into consideration (which I don't personally feel was adequately done in this analysis), is DT really the biggest need? I agree, of course, that it would have been nice to have added another body here, but are we really at a point where we should give up on the youngsters after 16 games? And no points for getting the veteran back? Wow... Tough crowd, Mel... Tough crowd...

Seems like he (and many others) forgot that Ron Edwards is still on our roster. DT was a need for sure, but we havent been able to have all of our LBs or our OL make it through a season in how long?

Thank you for the great write up. Ive been guilty of bad mouthing hurney and his drafts but after taking an objective approach I can definately say I believe this team is stronger after this most recent draft. I cant wait to see how much we've improved especially our special teams. Guys drafted seem like they are high motor guys that will be hungary to prove that they fit. I think the panthers have a great future, and a lot of credit has to go to Marty Hurney.

Archived