• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network Draft grade & Delhomme

raleigh-panther

Last year the draft experts were idiots for saying the Panthers needed to address the QB issue.

This year the Panthers are idiots for not listening to the draft experts who are saying they needed to address their QB issue.

Just making sure I am keeping up with things around here......

Last year the draft experts were idiots for saying the Panthers needed to address the QB issue.

This year the Panthers are idiots for not listening to the draft experts who are saying they needed to address their QB issue.

Years before that it was tight end.

Yeah no one said that this year except Mayock...not even Kiper!

They're just knee jerk mostly, and they hold onto thoughts about the team long after they are true. I mean heck up until about when they drafted Stewart, media people still thought Carolina had a good to great run game. Uhh..ok. They hadn't since 2003 until this past year. They have also continued to say that Carolina has a dominant front four/great defense since 2003 up until 2007. They just don't actually watch the team, so that's what's idiotic about what they say. If they knew what they were talking about (some do, but it's rare) they would know that the defense hasn't been up to the level they should expect for a team built on defense since 2005, and they were pretty poor this past year after week 8 or so.

They're not idiots to think that the future at the position needs to be addressed...they are idiots because they say things like "OGMGZ!11! THEY HAVE NO YOUNG GUY TO GROOM!!!11" (How do they leave off that the Cats may feel that way about Moore, who IS a young guy and did a decent job when called upon?) Or that they HAVE to get a guy in the first round to address the situation ("OMGZ!!1 THEY HAVE TO TRADE UP TO GET RYAN!!!), or that "OMGZ!!!1 THEY WILL NEVER WIN WITH JAKE" when they all thought he was performing well enough (and he was) until that crappy playoff game he had. Of course they weren't going to win with the way he played in that game. DUH. I don't think they would have won regardless because the defense couldn't stop anyone, nor would they have beaten Philly the following week but that's me. How can they say NEVER after one game? They have no idea.

They're just knee jerk mostly, and they hold onto thoughts about the team long after they are true. I mean heck up until about when they drafted Stewart, media people still thought Carolina had a good to great run game. Uhh..ok. They hadn't since 2003 until this past year. They have also continued to say that Carolina has a dominant front four/great defense since 2003 up until 2007. They just don't actually watch the team, so that's what's idiotic about what they say. If they knew what they were talking about (some do, but it's rare) they would know that the defense hasn't been up to the level they should expect for a team built on defense since 2005, and they were pretty poor this past year after week 8 or so.

They're not idiots to think that the future at the position needs to be addressed...they are idiots because they say things like "OGMGZ!11! THEY HAVE NO YOUNG GUY TO GROOM!!!11" (How do they leave off that the Cats may feel that way about Moore, who IS a young guy and did a decent job when called upon?) Or that they HAVE to get a guy in the first round to address the situation ("OMGZ!!1 THEY HAVE TO TRADE UP TO GET RYAN!!!), or that "OMGZ!!!1 THEY WILL NEVER WIN WITH JAKE" when they all thought he was performing well enough (and he was) until that crappy playoff game he had. Of course they weren't going to win with the way he played in that game. DUH. I don't think they would have won regardless because the defense couldn't stop anyone, nor would they have beaten Philly the following week but that's me. How can they say NEVER after one game? They have no idea.

I agree 100%....(don't think I am siding with the "experts", just making an observation with my statement).

Most "experts" opinions of the Panthers are usually off quite a bit in my opinion but then again I am no expert in Panthers football either. Personally I think ESPN should hire you as their Panther corespondent.

About Moore....not sure if there was a thread about it but Jordan Gross was on the local radio station a day or two ago and he said all the right things about Moore but it was obvious he had his doubts about him being a starting QB in the league. He said with some more practice he could seriously compete for a #2 QB position and then followed that with a very unsure "possibly" compete for a starting job in the NFL. Just found that interesting.

We wont take a QB next year either. We extended Jake Delhomme for a reason. The last thing the Panthers want is a "QB controversy". They will NOT bring anybody in here who is better or has more upside than Delhomme. You can take that to the bank. Jake is the "saviour" of Carolina, this team belongs to him and he will be here until he decides to retire.

hindsight shows that they were way off, but i think they were looking for a qb controversy by bringing in Carr.

It irked me two years ago as well when the Panthers d-line produced exactly 14.5 sacks (11.5 by the starting d-line with Lewis's 3.5 leading the group) and the experts continued bobbling on about how the Panthers get pressure with their front line.

truth is...talking heads don't have a clue about the panthers. never had one.

those listening to the "experts" only show their ignorance.

brown was probably not the ideal fit or target for many teams and may not have been high on 1/2 the teams draft boards or even deemed by many of the top draft analysts...but for anyone seeing what the panthers are doing and who is now our DC....brown was the perfect fit and made his selection the absolute best move and usage of a 1st round pick. he is the perfect fit for a meeks defense.

the rest of the defense picks, if you pay attention to what meeks prefers, was the correct choices. panthers made a concerted effort to pay attention to the defense the way they did the offense last year. that was their plan going into it and what they accomplished.

the top needs in the panthers minds were

1) speed rusher in the mold of what meeks used in indy

2) fast moving CBs good in a cover2

3) agile DT (though i'm not completely sold on the selection they made, yet)

4) depth on the oline

it's obvious they were also targeting players who would be solid ST contributors.

like it or not...that was what they wanted to do.

doesn't matter if it isn't the ideal draft for other teams. for panthers, it was the right draft.

Thanks JR, it's good to see a more impartial observer who thinks they are off as well. Nice compliment too, thanks. :)

FWIW, I don't think it is some conspiracy against the Panthers by the media. They are pretty bad about it in general with all teams. Usually they take one opinion and just keep parroting it on and on about any one thing on a team regardless of actual facts that should have shown them they were wrong. OMG!! FAVRE IS SO GREAT (When about 95% of his great play was in the last milennium.). OMG!! The Falcons have no WRs (They didn't until they got rid of Vick, now magically they do though it's the same peeps!!!) OMG!! HOUSTON WAS TEH STUPID for passing Bush for Williams (Yeah because everyone knows you build football teams around paying 1st round draft choice money to 3rd down backs who can catch and return the ball instead of building on the D-line.). VY JUST WINS!!11 (Let's hope they realize he didn't have much to do with why the Titans have been on the upswing after what happened last year.). They don't have any common sense about what winning football consists of (Which is why they are in love with offensive passing juggernauts like the Colts, the Martz Rams, the Saints since Payton was there and the 2007 Pats though not one of them won a championship primarily because of their humungous passing offense, and most didn't win the championship at all.).They don't do any research with MOST teams not named the Dallas Cowpukes.THAT is what pisses me off, it's SUPPOSED to be their job! And they are lazy anyway.

Wow was that on WFNZ? If so I will have to pop over there to hear the podcast. I think Gross is pretty straightforward so if he is hesitant about it I trust he is being truthful with tact. Nevermind...we all know Gross can't be trusted to give his real opinion because the way he always talks, it's obvious that he loves Jake "too much". ;)

It irked me two years ago as well when the Panthers d-line produced exactly 14.5 sacks (11.5 by the starting d-line with Lewis's 3.5 leading the group) and the experts continued bobbling on about how the Panthers get pressure with their front line.

Indeed, excellent example!

And if I had to go on a rant and get all het up like that and make my blood boil to make YOU come back and post, it was very worth it!!!!! :)

Wow was that on WFNZ? If so I will have to pop over there to hear the podcast. I think Gross is pretty straightforward so if he is hesitant about it I trust he is being truthful with tact. Nevermind...we all know Gross can't be trusted to give his real opinion because the way he always talks, it's obvious that he loves Jake "too much". ;)

Yeah, it was on WFNZ so it should be podcasted. I believe he was commenting on a callers comment. Like I said, he said the right things about Moore but I really sensed a lack of confidence in him from Gross.

Last year, I remember everyone said we gave up too much for Otah and he wasn't worth it. Also, people didn't really think Stewart would come in and instantly produce, and that picking a RB in the first round was a bad move since we already had Deangelo. Seeing we had one of the top rush offenses in the league last year, I would say those moves were alright.

Archived