• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Years Of Marty Hurney

unicar15

Marty Hurney...I don't feel like there are people who love what he has done with this organization. I think that people who really keep up with the Panthers either hate him or like him one day and hate him the next. I don't think there are people out there who would just be devastated if Hurney was replaced tomorrow. There has been a lot of talk about the draft and opinions of moves Hurney could have done differently, but realistically nobody knows until probably 2-3 years later if the draft was successful. What we can look at right now are past free agent moves and past drafts to gauge whether or not we think Hurney is worth keeping (hypothetically).

Total Seasons: 10

Overall Record: 78-74

Playoff Appearances: 3 (2003, 2005, 2008)

Conference Championships: 1

Superbowl Appearances: 1

Free Agent Hits: Jake Delhomme, Stephen Davis, Mark Fields, Ricky Proehl, Marlon McCree, Damione Lewis (so-so), Kemo, Keydrick Vincent, Tyler Brayton (ehh...I'll give it to him),

Free Agent Misses: Signing Mike Wahle, Signing Ken Lucas, Losing Deon Grant, Signing Justin Hartwig, Signing Shaun Williams, Losing Will Witherspoon, Signing Deke Cooper (who was our only FA that season..still couldn't believe that dude started for us), Signing DJ Hackett, Signing Landon Johnson, Losing Julius Peppers, Losing Richard Marshall.

Other things that piss me off about Hurney:

Took 3 damn years to even attempt to find a replacement for Keary Colbert and Drew Carter and NEVER upgraded the TE position, which could have helped our QBs immensely over the years.

Not convincing JR to fire Fox sooner. The guy had basically run this team into the ground by then and had alienated his best player (Peppers).

Contracts that shouldn't have happened: Jake Delhomme (extension after meltdown), Deangelo Williams 21 million guaranteed, franchising Peppers and cash-strapping the team in the process, Dan Morgan, Olindo Mare.

Draft Nonsense:

Trading future first round pick for Everette Brown (and passing on Connor Barwin) - Just to add a little more humiliation...we could have drafted JPP with the 11th overall pick in 2010. OUCH!

Trading future picks for Armanti Edwards (when he was projected as an UDFA)

Drafting Corvey Irving at all should be a fireable offense.

Missing on Carl Nicks and then drafting two consecutive OL one round later (Schwartz and Barnedeu)

Drafting Dwayne Jarrett ahead of Steve Smith and James Jones.

Taking Rashad Butler while passing on Jahri Evans THEN passing on Owen Daniels and then taking Jeff King.

Drafting Eric Shelton ahead of...Vincent Jackson (when we had Colbert and Carter) and Frank Gore (when we had Deshaun Foster) - One of the all-time stupid Hurney evals.

Drafting Keary Colbert at all...Really you thought that guy could play in the league?

Rarely (and by rarely I mean like...twice in 10 years) drafting a legitimate starter after round 3.

There are more but I decided to stop.

We all know Hurney has made some good picks too...but they have been gimmes. If you go up and down our roster our starters are primarily 1st and 2nd rounders...some 3rd rounders and very few players play large rolls who were drafted after that. IMO Hurney has had chances to take this roster to the next level and he hasn't. I just hope that his talent evaluation improves while Cam is here.

Hopefully the newer guys like Hogan, Keuchly, McClain, Fua and others will pan out and we don't regret passing on Jerel Worthy, Devon Still, Jurrell Casey etc...

Not sure about Marty's thought process when it comes to evaluating talent...

but in his defense I guess plenty of other GM's whiff as well....but thats as far as I go defending Martayyyyy

JIMMMAAAYYYYYY says Hi

someone please GIF jimmy on this thread

^I tried to cut him slack on missing pro bowlers that other teams missed but when you draft a running back as a target position and you go with shelton over gore...or OL and you go butler over nicks etc...thats a big miss.

Archived