• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL's 10 Highest-Paid Running Backs

Car123

Stewart is the RB who has played with injuries....missed 2 games in his career. Williams has missed 13 in that same timeframe.

Stewart is the only RB who performed well in the passing game....in an actual passing offense

If we were a good team in 2010 DW wouldn't have been put on IR. He wasn't too hot.

Williams and Stewart both have thir advantages and disadvantages

Without Williams we won't have a back that could break a 65 yd run anytime

Jamaal Charles has a 6+ career ypc

that makes him better than Williams

Being better than Williams means the Earth may implode at any moment.

Almost 996 caries for williams

Only one rb has ever had 1000 carries and averaged over 5.0 ypc (Jim Brown)

If we were a good team in 2010 DW wouldn't have been put on IR. He wasn't too hot.

Williams and Stewart both have thir advantages and disadvantages

Without Williams we won't have a back that could break a 65 yd run anytime

Stewart can go the distance... Not sure why it is so popular to think he can only run over people.

What are Stewart's disadvantages?

Jamaal Charles has a 6+ career ypc

that makes him better than Williams

Being better than Williams means the Earth may implode at any moment.

that's what the mayans predicted...in december the world will recognize that jamaal charles is the undisputed king of ypc and not deangelo williams, forcing God Almighty to crumble up the earth like a piece of paper and start over.

Almost 996 caries for williams

Only one rb has ever had 1000 carries and averaged over 5.0 ypc (Jim Brown)

Charles is at 6.1 500 carries into his career....which is better than Williams was at that mark.

Several RBs have over 1000 carries and a career 5+ ypc....

The actual Williams stats while impressive is a cherry picked one to a large degree

It's extremely naive to presume that Williams and/or Stewart would experience the same (or a similar) level of success in the absence of the other. Splitting carries keeps them both fresh and allows them to run with more efficiency than a workhorse back who is given the ball 300+ times a season. They're both amazing backs no doubt, but you can't say that either would be a top 5 back without the other stealing carries. Talent-wise, they could both easily be top-5 backs in the NFL...but unfortunately, talent alone means little in the NFL. Neither player has been given the chance to prove that they can handle a full workload...all we know is that they work great as a pair, so I'm all for keeping the both of them. It's no coincidence that the other back being mentioned with the highest YPC is Jamaal Charles....who had been splitting carries with Thomas Jones his first few years in the league. Lo and behold, once Thomas Jones was out of the picture...he lasted not even 2 whole games before he got injured.

That other thread asking if Steve Smith was "wasting his talents" at Carolina got me thinking about our running back situation though. I know that guy got flamed to hell for making that topic (and rightly so), but I think you could easily make a legitimate case for our running backs not playing to their full potential when they're splitting carries down the middle. Working together has kept them fresh and allowed them to stay healthy for the most part, but neither one is going to have a legitimate case for the Hall of Fame if they have to co-exist on one team. 1000+ carries with a 5.0 ypc average is impressive, but that isn't going to get you noticed without the yardage each season to back it up. I think it's a shame that they both aren't the featured back somewhere...but hey, if our team gets to benefit from it then I won't lose any sleep over it.

Some RBs are simply better with a larger load....Stewart appears to be that kind of RB.

If Williams didn't exist....with Cam, Stewart and Tolbert, nobody would want us to spend money on a top tier RB. People want Williams bc of his Panther past more than anything....Double Trouble at this stage is an expensive luxury in today's NFL

people keep saying this, but hasn't stewart already proven he can do it?

When has he proven it? His highest carry total in one season is 221 (with only 3 starts)...hardly a full workload for a run-heavy offense. I know he has had to carry the load over the course of a few GAMES when Williams got injured....but I'm talking more long-term. Stewart has never started more than 7 games in a season either. Stewart came in and played the last few games of 2009 when Williams got injured (and did pretty damn good...but still, only 3 games). The next season, Stewart started 7 games because Williams got injured again...and guess what was the only season that Stewart got injured? That same season...he missed 2 games due to injury when he had to play the role of the featured back for 7 games.

I'm not hating on either player, I love them both (Stewart is my absolute favorite player in the NFL)...but neither has proven they can handle a full workload, so we're really forced to measure their success as a pair.

Please use spell check, it gets annoying when nitpickers do not find their own mistakes. Had to do it, I could not stop once I started.

Jackson is a beast. He is on a level all his own right now. That said, DWill has had a productive career in his own right. And is still comparable to almost any RB in the league.

The last time he went on IR, was at the end of 10. We were not going anywhere, so they shut him down. So, yes, he has been on IR once. Still a low number for a RB.

DWill is still an above average RB. Personally, I am sooooo glad he is a Panther.

Pretty funny that you would bitch about his spelling. I counted no less tha 8 grammar and punctuation errors in your one post.

Lol

When has he proven it? His highest carry total in one season is 221 (with only 3 starts)...hardly a full workload for a run-heavy offense. I know he has had to carry the load over the course of a few GAMES when Williams got injured....but I'm talking more long-term. Stewart has never started more than 7 games in a season either. Stewart came in and played the last few games of 2009 when Williams got injured (and did pretty damn good...but still, only 3 games). The next season, Stewart started 7 games because Williams got injured again...and guess what was the only season that Stewart got injured? That same season...he missed 2 games due to injury when he had to play the role of the featured back for 7 games.

i would hardly consider getting a concussion from a team that's headhunting and injury that's sustained because of a workload.

CRA, what is your biggest fear about D-will's contract?

A.Not being able to re-sign stewart because of it?

B. Having and him stewart on the same roster at high cap numbers?

I'm guessing one of those 2 things right?

Do you really think either of those fears have a possibility of being the difference in us winning a superbowl or not?

people keep saying this, but hasn't stewart already proven he can do it?

Stewart's numbers are strong if you look at the 13 games Williams has missed....which include IMO the most impressive single game performance by either of the two.

Archived