• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Too soon to ask for vacation?

Brokenbad

From a managers perspective: I would not look kindly on anyone requesting vacation or more than a single day off if they had worked less than 6 months. If it was time that by policy they had accrued then I would approve the request but it would be a big black mark when it came time for raises and bonuses.

I'm very clear with my expectations during the interview process because I want people to know as much about me and the environment they will be working in when the accept an offer. In my book this kind of request would speak to a level of unprofessionalism (is that a word?) that would go against the things that we had just talked about in the interview.

As mentioned by others, this is something that should have been brought up during the hiring process. At this point I wouldn't deny the request out of spite but it wouldn't go over well with me.

Why would it be a black mark? Did he not earn it?

I doubt that he has earned/accrued a week of vacation in the first two months of employment. It would probably take 6 months to accrue that much (assuming that he gets 2 weeks per year the first year...pretty standard).

Also, many companies have policies around vacation in the first year. I know that some companies have a policy that no vacation can be taken for the first 6-12 months.

All depends on the company.

Archived