• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's big, even if Carolina isn't

redbuddha

She makes great points... Even when I was in Jamaica in June some of the locals at the resort seen my Panther Tattoo and asked what it meant (its not the logo) and I explained I was a Panthers fan, no sooner than saying that they all were like "Cam Newton Is Awesome"....

Made me smile..

Yeah, I get all that. I'm not missing the point she's making in the article. Carolina has never had any real superstars, at least not at the level Cam is. What I am saying, is that for all the superstars out there, there are many more good players who go out there and do their job every Sunday, making it possible for the superstars to shine. I guess maybe it's the blue collar guy in me, but I've always taken a lot of pleasure in those kinds of guys, as much or more than the "stars". The fact that Carolina has never had a superstar of Cam's caliber doesn't take away a bit of the pleasure I got from seeing Wesley Walls haul one down in the red zone then drag guys with him as he crossed the goal line. Or the Dallas game when Greene, Mills, and Lathon pummeled not just Michael Irvin, but Neon Deion, too. Or when the notoriously immobile Steve Beuerline took it in against Green Bay in a mad diving lunge during a playoff game. My point is, superstars or not, Carolina has managed to field teams made up of guys who have always given me - for the most part - my money's worth as a fan. I'm stoked we have a guy like Cam, but I'm equally content to have a team full of pros who do their jobs to make the team a team.

it's not supposed to take away the pleasure of watching the less high profile players. every team has local heros, so to speak, like the jakes and walls and minters. it's not a slight on any of them. it's just that they are guys that haven't garnered much national attention or hype. they aren't/weren't household names outside of maybe their own fan bases.

it's not better. it's just different. the thing it helps is helping grow the fanbase, esp. at games. sure, championships help, but so do these big name guys. if it helps get more tickets in the hands of people cheering for the panthers, i'm all for it.

none of the things she said should be taken as a slight or offensive because it wasn't that at all. it was just a statement that in all the years she's been a panthers fan living on the west coast (which for the life of me i can't figure out why someone would be blasting her for any of this) she's never had the reaction that she's having now from people and it's because of cam. i don't know why anyone had to read into it anymore than that. it's just pretty silly.

I didn't read most of the article, but let me guess what she had to say. She made several negative comments about the Panthers franchise, North Carolina, and Charlotte. She then slobbed on Cam's kn@b because he's an extremely popular black QB. Get used to it. Praise Cam, and crap on the Panthers and North Carolina. I really hope that the media doesn't pull that crap this season, but I have a feeling they might.

nope. not at all.

Don't like it because articles like this have a "Cam is bigger than Carolina" undertone. He's our QB, why even create a division between him and the franchise? To use her Peyton Manning example, no one ever said "Manning's big, even if the Colts aren't" because they're one and the same. She likes the player but wants to distance him from the team.

reading way too much into it, but whatever.

she's a panthers fan from carolina.

Jesus you guys are sensitive. I couldn't name 5 people outside of Green Bay who aren't professional football players. The same for Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and lot of other small market towns. What she is saying which is a compliment, is that name you have a nationally recognized sports persona outside of Michael Jordan, that everyone recognizes.

I live in Alabama and I guarantee you very most people in this state would be hard pressed to name the starting 5 of the Bobcats. But I guarantee you every Bama and/or Auburn fan (i.e. whole states population) in this state knows who Cam is. Even our local news broadcasts include Cam Newton news.

The fact that people are writing these so called fluff articles is proof that the Cammy Cam juice is having its influence on the buying public. You should be proud!

"Charlotte has been known for NASCAR than its football, although "guys going around in circles all afternoon" could describe either the Coca-Cola 600 or Carolina's pre-Newton offense."

Now that I read the rest I think that was the worst part of it, and even that part isn't that bad. It just suggests that over the course of our entire franchise history our offense has been a joke. Nice.

"Charlotte has been known for NASCAR than its football, although "guys going around in circles all afternoon" could describe either the Coca-Cola 600 or Carolina's pre-Newton offense."

Now that I read the rest I think that was the worst part of it, and even that part isn't that bad. It just suggests that over the course of entire franchise history our offense has been a joke. Nice.

aside from '03, maybe '05, and '08 it's hard to argue that in the past 10-12 years the panthers haven't been a joke on offense until cam got here. imo, that part is kind of deserved.

aside from '03, maybe '05, and '08 it's hard to argue that in the past 10-12 years the panthers haven't been a joke on offense until cam got here. imo, that part is kind of deserved.

We've certainly had far more seasons of bad offense than good offense. That of course is a fact. Even so, her comment struck me the wrong way. It's a colorful little fluff article simply meant to entertain, but somehow it seemed more negative than positve toward our team. It didn't have to be that way, but she chose to go that route. Even so, I don't think it was all that bad. Not much to it.

i don't even think it was all that negative. maybe a little self-depreciating as a carolina native and panther fan, but still probably all meant in fun. it's just funny/sad that people get so upset over things like this. not saying that this is you, but many just go looking for the disrespect angle in everything. imo, it just shows a bit of insecurity.

Archived