• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harris spending his recovery learning the NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME

rayzor

what system did you think we ran last year...and what system do you think we will run this year..just wondering
i'm just going on what the players are saying. they say it is going to be different. ask them. if they are spending a lot of time trying to learn it and are calling it a new system and a new scheme i'm going to believe them over anyone else.

this isn't what the talking heads are saying, this isn't what a bunch of clowns who think they know everything on a message board are saying. this is what the team and the players are saying. this is what is being witnessed by those who saw them at mini-camp.

if you are going to fall back and say "well it's just one cover2 for another cover2" apparently it's enough difference that they are having to learn not just terminology but a whole new playbook.

i was one of those people who said that fox wanted a puppet. i was one of those people who said that meeks was a puppet for dungy. i don't believe that either of those are true.

dungy's coaching tree has just too many decent coaches coming out of it and meeks flare and coaching has been consistent throughout every team he has been a part of. fox was letting meeks run the defense at mini-camp and the way the players are talking and studying, this isn't going to be the same defense that they had with trgo.

it doesn't seem like that bend but don't break philosophy is going to be prevalent. it is going to be much more aggressive in every aspect. the DL is having to learn a lot of new things. The LBs are going to have to learn a lot of new things and the DBs are having to learn a lot as well.

Meeks did say that he will bring some pressure from the back 7, so this defense won't be exactly the same thing as he ran in Indy, but I guarantee you it will be simpler than the stuff Trgovac ran. I think we have probably seen the last of the zone blitz too.

At any rate, it's that change in the defensive attitude that should have the biggest impact.

Meeks did say that he will bring some pressure from the back 7, so this defense won't be exactly the same thing as he ran in Indy, but I guarantee you it will be simpler than the stuff Trgovac ran. I think we have probably seen the last of the zone blitz too.

At any rate, it's that change in the defensive attitude that should have the biggest impact.

In the ned there are only so many schemes any team can run. It is attotude and execution that make any scheme work. And that is likely where Meeks will have his biggest difference.

then why have beason, harris, and other players been calling it a new system and a new scheme?

because football players are mostly pretty stupid and doing something like changing terminology from based around states to colors would shatter most of their worlds.

In the ned there are only so many schemes any team can run. It is attotude and execution that make any scheme work. And that is likely where Meeks will have his biggest difference.

Yeah, and in my opinion, I believe that Fox wants to keep things fairly simple just like Meeks does. I still believe that Trgovac is a pretty good coach, but he did make things more complicated than they needed to be. Chris Harris even said when he first came here, that this defense was a lot more complicated than what he did with the Bears, and several players have commented on how thick Trgo's play book was.

I like that they're going back to stressing fundamentals and keeping the scheme simple so they can play faster.

They are never completely new schemes. Meeks always employed a sort of Cover 1 scheme with the SS coming up against the run usually. The big question is how Harris is going to do in his system. I don't think Harris has the speed and vision that he wants out of the SS position. I just dont see Harris being here longer than 3 years.

Last time we had a defensive coordinator who coached with fire was Del Rio in 2002. I could go for some more of that. With meek's scheme and our defensive talent we should be better than any defense Indy had. Could return us back to the top 5.
I whole heartedly agree.

As soon as we signed Meeks, knowing he is a fundamentals guy, I knew our defense would definitely be back on the rise. Of course, I have high expectations of our defense every year we have a defensive minded HC.

Archived