• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLB in CLT

Happy Panther

They have problems. Thats teh reason I left them out. But a baseball team in the triad or Raleigh would do well.

Well so far the Mudcats over by Raleigh have not drawn well and have lost money for several years. They have a nice stadium but have not been able to fill it consistently.

http://carolina.mudcats.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t249

but they do have a really cool hat and jersey!

Most people on here are too new or too young to remember the Charlotte O's. The AA team of the Baltimore Orioles. They played at Crockett Park on Magnolia Street near Uptown. You didn't want to park outside the 3rd base line for fear of getting a broken windshield. Lots of famous players came through here with the "O's".

Weekkend nights on wooden bleachers drinking beer. Jim Crockett died and the "O's" became the Knights (sold to George Shinn) and Charlotte didn't want an Uptown stadium. Crockett Wrestling empire was sold to Turner Broadcasting then to Vince McMahon.

http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/Resource_Center/venues/crockettpark/crockett_park.htm

I remember the O's, what a great old park. When we were kids my younger brother ran down to the dugout and got one of Cal Ripken Jr's cracked bats. Still has it.

I like baseball and beer. That is all I have to add to this topic at this time.

This.

I like titties and beer.

This too. Baseball, beer and titties all downtown would be heaven on earth.

AAA fits Charlotte like...well..a glove. But a well oiled, tied with shoestring, soaking in the tub for two days and backed over by a 78 Cutlass and then tried to be ripped in half by you and 4 other friends at the same time.

I think the walk up alone would be 3-6k + for the Knights. Easy money.

A biz man's special during the week. Go hang at any nearby bar/ eating spot and go to a game or do the reverse. Muh awesome

No way in hell should a team go to Raleigh over Charlotte. This is the bigs, and Raleigh is not the bigs.

Yeah I would like some proof on that? Raleigh CSA side is not to far from Charlotte in population. Median income Raleigh has Charlotte beat. Raleigh could support a MLB team. Heck the triad was just a vote away from getting the Twins in the late 90's. Sad thing people didnt want to pay a extra .01 to build the stadium.

I will make you a bet 15 years from now I bet you Charlotte wont be the biggest

city in NC.

This was written back in 1997. Don Beaver was trying to bring the Twins to Kernersville which set in between Winston Salem and Greensboro. He explained why he chose Kernersville over Charlotte and Raleigh.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/1998/05/04/story5.html

He offers four reasons why he prefers the Triad:

1. Raleigh-Durham is deemed critical for both fans and corporate support. Triangle fans can reach the Triad in 90 minutes. Charlotte would be too far to drive regularly. Roanoke, Va., is also a 90-minute drive to the Triad.

2. Blaming high ticket prices for the mediocre support of the NHL Carolina Hurricanes in Greensboro, Beaver believes the Triad is starved for high-level pro sports that's affordable. He's not eager to compete for fans or corporate support in Charlotte.

3. Parking revenue is an important part of Beaver's plan. In a rural Triad site, Beaver anticipates generating $3 million per season from parking. He says he'd be able to capture little parking revenue in uptown Charlotte.

4. Charlotte lies within the edges of the Atlanta Braves broadcast market. Greenville-Spartanburg is in that market. Beaver sees the Triad as residing in a broadcast no-man's land between Baltimore and Atlanta, and potentially offering a more lucrative market.

Now with all that said I dont see a MLB team for the Triad now because both Winston Salem (building) and Greensboro have built new stadiums or building new stadium.

I just dont think you have enough people here that care about baseball. Look how long it took for the Canes to get a strong fanbase. With 81 home games a year and no other uses for the stadium it would be tough to try and convince people it would work. Just imagine how big the Hurricanes would be if they would have been able to build the RBC Center downtown within walking distance to Glenwood and what not. They arent going to build a stadium downtown. Not only that but the talent pool in the majors is slim so they arent going to expand. Were going to have to hope that some fool thinks NC is a better economic center then whatever city they are currently in. AAA in Uptown is going to be about as big as it will get in the next 20 years.

NC is the 10th largest state in the country. It was the 4th fastest growing state from 2007-2008. North Carolina has been growing the past 20-30 years and it wont stop. More people are moving here for jobs and yes there is a slowdown but we are doing alot better than other states.

Archived