• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLB in CLT

Happy Panther

Expos, Twins, Marlins at one time were rumored to want to move here.

IT WON"T HAPPEN! It's a barganing toy!

The only person who thinks that we will get a Major League team is Jerry Reese! (The guy who keeps filing lawsuits to keep the Knights from Uptown!)

STFU and go away Mr. Reese! Let the Knights move to Uptown Charlotte!

From my Sports Blog a year ago:

Jack-#### or Hero? Jerry Reese. Why do I say that? He is single handedly holding up bringing AAA baseball to Uptown Charlotte. The City planners have worked out a land swap, baseball park for city park with all parties involved. But Mr. Reese is against any of this. He has tied the city up with lawsuit after lawsuit to prevent Uptown baseball. Why? He says it because it would prevent Charlotte from getting a major league team here. Yes Charlotte supports the Carolina Panthers 16+ games a season, but it struggles to support the NBA Bobcats 41+ games a season. Why does Reese believe that Charlotte will support a MLB teams 82+ games a year? Major league teams continue to use Charlotte as bait for wanting new stadiums. Mr. Reese, wake up, they aren’t going to move here!

Yeah i remember the uptown thing now. Why wouldn't they build a 10k-20k person stadium that would be expandable if an MLB team came?

I bet you are right though. I wonder if there is a 3 team city with less people in the metro area than CLT? Hockey would have been the better fit

North Carolina will get a baseball team in the next 10 years might not be Charlotte but a team will come here.

God, I hope not. The only time that it would draw a decent croud is when the Yanks, BoSox, Cubbies and MAYBE the Braves (depends on how well they are doing.) come to town.

well, firstly, running the table of pro sports (Football, basketball, hockey, baseball) would make you a "sport" town, or area, whichever. But how much support can people lend in an area of two states of which, just about 20 years ago, didn't have any professional teams, period?

The Panthers were founded using a strong, very strong campaign of which Jerry Richardson and other followers fought tooth and nail to "prove" to the NFL that Carolina could support a team. <==== this only being 16 years since the franchise was announced for expansion.

The Hornets ultimately failed in the Charlotte area, forcing the team to move. For a baseball team, you are going to need one guy to basically do everything Jerry Richardson did. Also, a brand new baseball stadium to build.

Plus, this owner is going to need a hell of a lot of money to be able to spend to compete with the biggest spenders in baseball (and no I'm not saying it's a spending man's game, just that millions are going to be spent on players), they don't work on a salary cap there, and a coach to get the team on the right track.

How about the BOBCATZ??

Because the NBA SUX! Who cares, really! I mean I love college BB but absolutely hate NBA because there is NO HEART! Hence why their ratings have struggled since MJ retired.

I say bring on the MLB!!! :thumbsup:

BECAUSE ATLANTA WILL NEVER BE MY HOME TEAM --- F-THAT!

Yeah, I'll take a few afternoons of work skipping, 10-15 dollar games and reasonable beer in good weather a year over MLB hoopla downtown as well.

Most people on here are too new or too young to remember the Charlotte O's. The AA team of the Baltimore Orioles. They played at Crockett Park on Magnolia Street near Uptown. You didn't want to park outside the 3rd base line for fear of getting a broken windshield. Lots of famous players came through here with the "O's".

Weekkend nights on wooden bleachers drinking beer. Jim Crockett died and the "O's" became the Knights (sold to George Shinn) and Charlotte didn't want an Uptown stadium. Crockett Wrestling empire was sold to Turner Broadcasting then to Vince McMahon.

http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/Resource_Center/venues/crockettpark/crockett_park.htm

Archived