• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cleveland Browns sold

King Taharqa

The sale of the Cleveland Browns to Jimmy Haslam III has been unanimously approved by NFL owners.

Haslam bought the team from Randy Lerner for $1 billion, and the owners voted 32-0 Tuesday to approve the deal. Haslam was met with applause as he entered the room with the other team owners. Browns team president Mike Holmgren and incoming executive Joe Banner were not present at the meeting, according to NFL.com and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Haslam, who built his fortune with Pilot Flying J truck stops, has been a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but divested that stock to buy the Browns.

Haslam and Lerner agreed to the sale in August just as training camp was opening. Haslam has said his mission is to bring winning football back to Cleveland; the Browns have made the playoffs once since returning to the NFL in 1999.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080998/article/nfl-approves-cleveland-browns-sale-to-jimmy-haslam

ESPN reporting GM likely out as well.

Tom Heckert, previous history with the Eagles and Steelers if I remember correctly.

I'd give him a look if Hurney were out, though I think there may be better options.

EDIT: Dolphins, not Steelers. I was probably thinking of Tom Modrak when I said Steelers. Modrak's another one I might at least investigate.

Archived