• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So no posts about leadership?

King Taharqa

Fans don't determine who the leaders are....and the questions you are asking have been answered by players on the team...

This is the NFL what you did at college means nothing. Please tell me you understand this? Because from where I sit Cam hasn't won at the NFL level....

Not sure what else can be done other than literally sledge hammering the point into your brain.

Ok I'm going to stop giving my personal opinion and go with quotes.

Here is one from a Washington Post article by Kent Babb on 11/3/2012. (which can be found here: http://www.washingto...6a08_story.html ). It's an article that also contains a one on one interview with Rivera and is not a smear piece.

This is a quote from a Panthers player to a reporter when asked bluntly about leadership on this team. It's an indictment on our whole locker room, not just one player, but it speaks clearly to the point of this post as well.

I'll say again that I believe Cam will be a leader on this team once he grows / matures into the role. But I am standing firmly by the assertion that he is not now a leader on this team. He'll get there but I can't imagine why we're trying to hard, collectively, to force the issue.

Then why is Cam's leadership questioned more than anyone's on this team when we lose? And shouldnt we be more appalled that Steve Smith doesnt see himself nor his buddy Jordan Gross as our leaders? They are 2 of our longest tenured players, and 2 of our highest paid. More of the burden needs to be placed on our team captains and veterans if we're not ready to crown Cameron as our leader. Can't have it both ways.

Fans don't determine who the leaders are....and the questions you are asking have been answered by players on the team...

This is the NFL what you did at college means nothing. Please tell me you understand this? Because from where I sit Cam hasn't won at the NFL level....

Not sure what else can be done other than literally sledge hammering the point into your brain.

From where I sit no one in that locker room has won anything. But contracts they didnt deserve and the occasional pro bowl appearance.

Then why is Cam's leadership questioned more than anyone's on this team when we lose? And shouldnt we be more appalled that Steve Smith doesnt see himself nor his buddy Jordan Gross as our leaders? They are 2 of our longest tenured players, and 2 of our highest paid. More of the burden needs to be placed on our team captains and veterans if we're not ready to crown Cameron as our leader. Can't have it both ways.

Man I have never done anything but fairly apply blame / priase where it needs to be applied. You've probably never seen "Cam has to win", "Cam isn't the answer at QB", "Cam is responsible single handedly for our losses", "Cam is a bad person because of his press conferences", "We are losing because Cam is a terrible leader", or "Cam is responsible for most of the bad on our team" out of me. You also aren't going to see me crediting one player alone with wins.

You'll notice that I said this is an indictment on our team as a whole, not just Cam, but that it applies to this situation as well.

I am talking about the assertion that Cam is a leader right this moment and/or that his "leadership" is directly/solely responsible for our winning / losing, as stated here:

Cam was a leader of men today, he inspired our defense to finally do their job for 4 quarters.

And here:

Cam's leadership inspired his teammates. Without it, no way we win today.

And here:

Cam and his leadership have everything to do with us winning or losing

And here:

LEADERSHIP

LEADERSHIP

LEADERSHIP

And here:

Cam's play and leadership dictates wins and losses, not the defense.

And here:

I just credit Cam's play and leadership with the win

You can't make one point and then change the point up on me to try to show how wrong I am when it's convenient. Believe it or not I agree with you that there are other guys on this team who should be leaders right now who are not named Cam Newton. They deserve more ire from the fanbase than Cam does for the current lack of leadership. But you didn't start a thread about one of them or argue that one of them is currently a leader when all evidence seems to be to the contrary.

Regarding the assertion that Cam is currently a leader we now have Steve Smith with a publicly available statement saying there are no leaders on this team. This is, as I said, an indictment on the entire team, not just Cam. But it does fit this thread because this thread specifically calls Cam a leader. I have a different opinion on that statement and I've said why I believe it.

I'm going to state again that I believe Cam can and will be a good leader for this team but that he needs to grow into the role. In the interim someone else needs to step up and do it, I won't argue that point, but you're not doing anyone any favors by just saying he's a leader over and over. Saying it long enough and loudly enough doesn't make it true and it isn't going to help him mature faster than he already has to.

And harping him over his leadership for 5 weeks helped how? Just because you say "Cam is not a leader" or pull a quote from hot head Steve Smith doesnt make it so, bro. Thats a team captain who didnt score until yesterday, he was obviously frustrated when he said that. Like I said, thats a bigger indictment on himself and the vets than our young QB. But I take it more as Smitty just being Smitty.

I still proclaim Cam's leadership and poise is what got us thru yesterday. Without his grit we dont win. Without his 2 TDs we dont win. I think in time our franchise and fanbase can evolve into one that is more supportive of our QB. Its not a crime to rally behind your QB and believe in their leadership, as evidenced by the Colts. But for some reason we have fans who think we can win in spite of that, that we can put anybody out there and our defense and team will get us thru. That just has not proven to be true. When I see our team win a game where Cameron plays horribly and turns the ball over and doesnt play "flawless" football, I'll believe his leadership on and off the field hasnt impacted us.

From where I sit no one in that locker room has won anything. But contracts they didnt deserve and the occasional pro bowl appearance.

Yet you claimed that Cam has won at all levels.....I never claimed the rest of them have...

Although Smith has played in some big NFL games(Super Bowl, NFC Championship games)

Also Hurney is/was a moron but he is gone now so....

There are users on this board that have been overly and unfairly critical of Cam. I do not know their motivation.

The majority of the users on this board are overwhelmingly supportive of Cam.

I personally don't think Cam has played nearly as poorly as has been portrayed in the media. I blame our 6 losses mainly on poor coaching... and yes, Cam and others on the offense have had poor production at times this year.

I do think that Cam has a lot of growing up to do, and when he figures out how to be that leader and role model to the other players both on the field playing and on the sidelines, even when things are not going well, and really especially when things aren't going well, we are going to win a lot of championships.

Unfortunately for you KT, you WANT people to complain about Cam so you can say "see, I told you guys that you would complain..."

...and a lot of the idiots on this board have been giving you exactly what you expected.

Listen to what Zod was saying earlier in the thread... it was reasonable and true. Doesn't matter whether you like it or not.... and as hard as it is for you, give the rest of us (minus the idiots, and you know who they are) a little credit.

Cam Newton is MY quarterback. Period.

Because I dont believe our defense is the steel curtain?

Are you going to make a "Greg Hardy must win this week" thread?

How bout a "Charles Johnson must step up for us to beat Peyton" thread?

Those guys played well today and did their job, but winning and losing doesnt hinge at all on what they do. Cam and his leadership have everything to do with us winning or losing. He throws a pick, we lose no matter how many sacks CJ & Hardy get. They had a bunch last week, and we still lost. I think you guys are underestimating how much this team lives and dies with how well Cameron plays. Its a lot easier to be agressive on D when you have a comfortable lead versus playing from behind.

People only underestimate how much Cam has to do with our wins when we win. When we lose, we lost because he wears a towel over his head. Yesterday he was up with the towel on his head and going over plays. I get what your saying dude and since we have never had a franchise QB, people take all he does good or bad for granted.

Let's not go overboard here, we won because we played an inferior team. From a fans view of the game, no one acted more like a leader than any other Sunday. We do seem to be playing with fire, but we have been the past couple weeks. If anything, the defense would be inspiring to our offense, not the other way around.

Archived