• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nascar attendance

Happy Panther

Stinks obviously. As I was watching the Texas race for a moment yesterday it looked half full and I asked how is this sustainable? It seems like half of the tracks get really bad attendance.

My thought was that NASCAR would suffer when the next TV deal comes out but when i googled it, i see that Fox just signed a deal through 2022.

Is NASCAR becoming a TV only sport?

Is there any impetus to get rid of some of these cookie cutter tracks that fill up halfway? Or does nobody care because of the TV deal.

And do the owners of the tracks get TV money or is it all gate receipts?

I actually like nascar and watching it.... but there are a few things that hurts the sport for me...

#1 You can not start the chase during football season... Because it coincides with the start of football season that's when I tune out... I don't know how to fix it, but somehow the season needs to end before NFL week 1.

#2 I don't like that the chase goes to the same tracks... I feel like they need to switch the chase races up every year... maybe set the schedules 3-5 years in advance to allow the tracks amble time for scheduling/planning...

#3 Maybe make some radio's standard and free at the races... Give something to add to the experience of being at the track.

Things that hurt Nascar:

Losing Icons like Earnhardt, Waltrip, Allison, etc

Making the cars all the same

Making the cars so fast with aerodynamics that it has ruined the "driving" portion of the racing

Restrictor plates.

Lucky Dog

Moving away from tracks like Rockingham and N Wilkesboro for more cookie cutter tracks like Texas and Chicagoland and Vegas.

All the gimmicks in the world, like the "chase" will not keep fans tuned in. They offer a boring product and will continually have to come up with more gimmicks to have something to talk about.

Things that hurt nascar: same level of entertainment value as wrestling.. It's horrible.. The cars all look the same and turn the same direction.. I say they should let the drivers drink beer first. Every beer you drink = a half of a lap. Double shots = whole lap

Here is the fix for Nascar.

Less aerodynamics. Take all the crap, splitters, etc out from under the front end.

Make engines smaller. Instead of 353 CI or wherever they are, go to a 300 or so.

No more lucky dog, if Jimmy Johnson hits the wall and goes two laps down, he has to earn his way back to the lead lap.

If you loosen those cars back up, put driver skills on display, make them about 10% slower to let them rub a bit without automatically flying into the wall, it will be a much better product.

I remember the IROC races from the 70's, yes I am that old.

They were the most boring races of all time. A dozen or so of the exact same car with a different number. Needless to say, nobody gave a hoot and they did not last long. Why in the world Nascar would do typically the same thing now is beyond me.

I remember the IROC races from the 70's, yes I am that old.

They were the most boring races of all time. A dozen or so of the exact same car with a different number. Needless to say, nobody gave a hoot and they did not last long. Why in the world Nascar would do typically the same thing now is beyond me.

They ran IROC until 2006 or 07... I never could understand how it lasted so long, except for maybe the draw from having high profile drivers from different series all on one track. Besides, with the Car of Tomorrow I guess that cup racing is pretty much like IROC was.

As for the original topic, how bout a good pit road/garage brawl to try and get ratings for homestead?

• 1 year later...

Archived